Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#4681 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

Will it be a second location for Blue Water?  That's what I've expected for a long time ...

#4682 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Sounds like it will be a new brand to join the suite of eight restaurants and cafes already operated under the Toptable umbrella. Fits in line with what they do...they've not launched a second location for any of their restaurants before. And with a new executive chef, I imagine he's crafting his own menu and thus, his own brand.

#4683 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:41 PM

.. as mentioned in the Canucks thread a few weeks ago. Isn’t this old news?

Word on the street is that the GM position pays top dollar, so if you know someone who might be interested ..

Matt.

#4684 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Konz Pizza is coming to the Bay Centre Food Court.

http://eatkonz.ca

And less than a year later, Konz Pizza has left the Bay Centre Food Court.

I don’t recall exactly when they opened but it may have only lasted 6-8 months.
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#4685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

Yes, short lived for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4686 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:45 PM

"Wind Cries Mary" has opened up in the old "Camille's" space in Bastion Square.

• Mike K. likes this

#4687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

Wind Cries Mary will have some big shoes to fill taking over the former Camille's space; the latter being one of the finer dining establishments in recent Victoria history. 

...Jesse Dame is opening a new restaurant and bar in the storied, 3,000 sqft space. The 75-seater will be Wind Cries Mary. It will have room for 30 in a rear dining room (that can also serve as a private room), plus a canopied bar and a hidden courtyard patio. Of the food concept, Jesse says the restaurant will offer a constantly changing, family-style menu that uses local suppliers, farmers, foragers and fish mongers, with a bar program to match...

https://scoutmagazin...bastion-square/

From the WCM Facebook page

Wind Cries Mary is a tucked away portal to experiencing the rustic riches of Vancouver Island,  in the middle of Victoria’s downtown core.  A warm and familiar setting for enjoying elevated cabin food fit for modern times.  Our dynamic menu will have a nose-to-tail approach,  utilizing all aspects of the local bounty and geared towards “sharing”. We are extremely excited to tell you the stories about the relationships we have with our local farmers, foragers, fish mongers, craft brewers and wine makers.  We invite you to come “break bread” with us and let our talented bar and culinary team take you on a laid back, west coast experience of freshly foraged food and drink

https://www.facebook...dcriesmary.vic/

#4688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Elevated cabin food and a nose-to-tail approach.

That’s unique.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4689 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Former Camille’s owner Stephan Drolet returned to Whistler and is the exec sous at Bearfoot Bistro, if you are missing his cuisine.

Matt.

#4690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:57 AM

Camille’s and brasserie were my favourite special places. Now it’s saveur.
  • Wayne likes this

#4691 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:14 AM

So for you foodies out there the recent edition of YAM magazine focuses (sorry David) on the area's best restaurants. (sorry Matt)

Full disclosure and full pandering advisory here...if you can click your way past all the advertising and stumble across a piece about "Little Jumbo" on page 66...you will find the chef "Gabe" who at one time was trained under our fine VV member Matt. 

Gabe married our daughter and is a wonderful young man...who feeds me really good food from time to time.

• Mike K., Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:24 AM

Camille’s and brasserie were my favourite special places. Now it’s saveur.

https://www.yammagaz...ng-2019-saveur/

#4693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:27 AM

So for you foodies out there the recent edition of YAM magazine focuses (sorry David) on the area's best restaurants. (sorry Matt)

Full disclosure and full pandering advisory here...if you can click your way past all the advertising and stumble across a piece about "Little Jumbo" on page 66...you will find the chef "Gabe" who at one time was trained under our fine VV member Matt. 

Gabe married our daughter and is a wonderful young man...who feeds me really good food from time to time.

With diners vying for a table to experience chef Gabe Fayerman-Hansen’s seasonal menu, bartender Avi Kunen says it’s always busy behind the bar.

https://www.yammagaz...f-little-jumbo/

#4694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

Restaurant war shatters 3 decades of peace between Cactus Club and Earls

For 30 years, Cactus Club and Earls have occupied a similar space in the hearts and stomachs of B.C. diners. The chains, which have spread across Canada and into the U.S., have peacefully coexisted in the "premium casual dining" market, competing for the same customers without stepping on each other's toes.

That shouldn't be surprising. Cactus Club was founded by two former Earls servers, and today the majority of its shares are owned by the Fuller family, which also owns Earls.

But the era of friendly competition is over.

Lawsuits filed in B.C. Supreme Court over the last year reveal a bitter fight between the two chains. The relationship has become so acrimonious that the Fullers are calling for the company that runs Cactus Club to be completely dissolved.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...t-war-1.5210465

The Fullers allege Jaffray used its resources to pay for personal legal fees, landscaping and art for his home, private jets for vacations, parties for himself and expenses for his other restaurant, Shelter.

is shelter in tofino?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#4695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Indeed, it is. I’ve dined there many times. It pretty much is a west coast themed Cactus.

Know it all.

#4696 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

The new Bubby Rose bakery cafe in James Bay will be opening this September with an expanded food menu and dinner service as well...

#4697 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Looks like Xing Fu Tang is getting ready to open at 608 Broughton (street level of Sovereign).

"Xing Fu Tang Canada is Taiwan's authentic stir fried brown sugar pearl milk brand ready to launch in Canada."

http://www.xingfutang.ca/

• Mike K. likes this

#4698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

Some good news for a North Saanich eatery.

North Saanich restaurant Deep Cove Chalet is reopening July 24, after being badly damaged by fire last year...The fire spread through an exhaust vent in the roof, inflicting significant damage to the interior of the restaurant. At the time, owners Pierre and Bev Koffel called the events “surreal” and vowed to rebuild. Monday, a spokesperson said customers should expect everything to be the same as when they were last open. The spokesperson, said the decor, menu and levels of service would all be the same as before they closed...

https://www.vicnews....n-following-fire/

• RoadRunner likes this

#4699 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:18 AM

Anyone know what's going on with Maman Restaurant on Pandora? Signs went up ages ago, but little activity has happened inside, and I believe I saw a "for lease" sign on the window. Same with Shipwrecked Bistro on Douglas, which has had signs on the windows for a long time, yet is still unopened.

#4700 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

Anyone know what's going on with Maman Restaurant on Pandora? Signs went up ages ago, but little activity has happened inside, and I believe I saw a "for lease" sign on the window. Same with Shipwrecked Bistro on Douglas, which has had signs on the windows for a long time, yet is still unopened.

Re: Maman, their BP for a change of use to create a restaurant is listed as "on hold."

Re: Shipwreck Cafe, their BP for interior strip out is listed as "active," the electrical permit is listed as "expired," and there is not BP for tenant improvements. Last update to their social media was in March it looks like.

• Brantastic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users