8786 replies to this topic

#4721 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

Story of the year right here.

Bowling alley with 636-seat two-storey restaurant proposed for Uptown Shopping Centre in Saanich

https://victoria.cit...tre-in-saanich/

• Kapten Kapsell and Brantastic like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

Story of the year right here...

Bigger than Walmart coming to the former Sears location at Hillside?  ;)

Edit: I should add, I am still hoping this rumour comes true.

Edited by Nparker, 01 August 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#4723 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Story of the year right here.

Bowling alley with 636-seat two-storey restaurant proposed for Uptown Shopping Centre in Saanich
https://victoria.cit...tre-in-saanich/

Will this be 5-Pin or 10-pin bowling?

#4724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

10 for sure, but not certain on the 5.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4725 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Sources say it is actually the Rec Room that is looking at Uptown, owned by the Cineplex group. Would not count on a quality dining experience, figure it will be on par with Applebees or Montanas.

• Matt in Langford likes this

#4726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

It’s The Banquet (Uptown) Ltd. that has the proposal before Saanich.

Know it all.

#4727 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:57 AM

This would be pretty cool. If you've not been to their Fort Mac location...it's basically an adult arcade. Would be a great add for Victoria. Certainly would turn Uptown into a more vibrant all-hours spot. Now if only they'd get on that tower...

#4728 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

...Now if only they'd get on that tower...

If you keep calling it a "tower" it will never get built.  <_<

#4729 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

If you keep calling it a "tower" it will never get built.  <_<

Ahh yes, sorry.

The multi-story multi-unit community group home that will add inventory and thus increase the municipal housing stock. Included in the building will be multiple "affordable" units, a ban on Styrofoam, and a wind turbine on the roof to generate clean electricity.

That should get approved in no time! These developers need to bust out the thesaurus!

• Mike K. likes this

#4730 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

The multi-story multi-unit community group home that will add inventory and thus increase the municipal housing stock.

If you keep saying that it will never get built.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4731 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

Tapa Bar vs. Bodega. Any thoughts? I haven't been to the latter but was thinking of trying it tomorrow.

#4732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

Victoria's homegrown restaurant delivery service is heading into the history books.

After providing restaurant delivery service in the city since 1999, Dine-in Victoria will be closing at the end of business hours on Friday. “We had a great run in Victoria and now it is time to step aside and leave delivery to the heavy hitters that have come to town,” a message sent to customers and clients reads...Owner Maggie Rideout admits it was a tough decision, but says the company had seen a noticeable decline in business since the arrival of big delivery companies such as Skip the Dishes. “We’ve lost customers, there is no doubt,” she said.  “We were trying to catch up but it was so overwhelming.”...

https://www.cheknews...0-years-593884/

#4733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

yup they just did not have access to the technology required now.

#4734 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

Why did it fail? Competitors had a better app? Cheaper? Or did the new upstarts just have better marketing? 

It's a shame in a way. because they were in the game so early, with a little more business savvy and a whole lot of luck they could have been like Abebooks and become a global million dollar empire.

Think of how Netflix was able to quickly pivot away from mailing DVDs to become an early and powerful provider of digital streaming, leaving the traditional networks playing catchup.

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 August 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#4735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

They clearly did not embrace technology. It was there waiting for them (Accio) but they did not partner with them. They should have.

In a climate emergency, though, Skip the Dishes shouldn’t be popular. And yet it is surging in popularity as people opt for a delivery to their door from any restaurant, even McDonald’s, rather than putting together a meal at home.
  • zoomer and Nparker like this

Know it all.

#4736 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

I've recently moved away from using Skip. Too many issues with drivers taking my food, not getting a driver matched until 2 hours after my delivery window, service charges climbing, and then the default tip fiasco (I don't like opting out of something, default should be nil). I was going to switch over to Dine In for those days when I am sick and the hubby is off doing Army stuff, but I suppose now I'll have to rely on the kindness of neighbours to ensure I survive... :( Wish we had some of the pedal-powered delivery options that Vancouver has.

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#4737 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Too many issues with drivers taking my food,

Wait, what?

#4738 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

In a climate emergency, though, Skip the Dishes shouldn’t be popular.

Next thing you know the authorities themselves will be saying and doing countless things every day that are entirely inconsistent with the climate emergency premise.

• Nparker likes this

#4739 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

It's an issue. Had a driver pick up my meal, get to the parking lot around the corner, mark it as delivered, and then enjoy my meal while I sat there discussing the issue with customer service. Got a refund, all three times it's happened, and I assume it negatively impacts the driver's score behind the scenes, but I still went hungry.

https://www.cbsnews....customers-food/

From article ""We're sorry to report that sometimes, impulse gets the best of deliverers, and they violate their sacred duty by taking some of the food!" said U.S. Foods, a foodservice distributor.

~ Jasmine ~

#4740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:49 PM

I. :( Wish we had some of the pedal-powered delivery options that Vancouver has.

did fernwood pizza ever get their delivery bike going?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)