Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8812 replies to this topic

#4741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

mcdonald's has to put extra seals on the bags to stop drivers from taking a fry.  although i can't blame them.  tasty.

• Mattjvd likes this

#4742 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

They clearly did not embrace technology. It was there waiting for them (Accio) but they did not partner with them. They should have.

In a climate emergency, though, Skip the Dishes shouldn’t be popular. And yet it is surging in popularity as people opt for a delivery to their door from any restaurant, even McDonald’s, rather than putting together a meal at home.

The parent company of Skip the Dishes, Just Eat, is headquartered in London, UK.  Some of the popular US-based food apps like Uber Eats and Door Dash are based in San Francisco.  London and San Francisco (like Victoria) have both declared climate emergencies per the list maintained at https://climateemerg...llion-citizens/ .

I don't necessarily think that Food Delivery, as an activity, is contradictory to taking actions against climate change.  In some ways, Food Delivery could actually be more efficient than going to eat at a restaurant itself:  a driver who picks up 2-3 orders at a time from a busy restaurant like Mantra to deliver to a small delivery zone is gaining some efficiencies in comparison to having 2-3 households drive to the same restaurant for a dining-in experience.  If a large quantity of food is delivered for an office party, that's probably much more efficient than the same number of people going out to eat at a restaurant for a group lunch (especially in an office like mine where we would need to take at least 6-7 vehicles, even with carpooling, and where there are no eateries close by).  

• Mike K. likes this

#4743 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:00 PM

If a large quantity of food is delivered for an office party, that's probably much more efficient than the same number of people going out to eat at a restaurant...

It's that sort of thinking that convinced CoV council to have their meetings catered - on my dime I might add.

#4744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

Fast-food giant Yum Brands is planning to trim the number of Pizza Hut restaurants in the United States by about 500 locations, even as the brand continues to grow internationally. 

The company said the closures will allow it to focus more on food delivery and carryout by weeding out lesser-performing sit-down restaurants. There are nearly 7,500 Pizza Huts in the U.S., of which 6,100 are traditional restaurants and 1,350 are express units, which predominantly handle carryout and delivery.

"We plan to lean in to accelerate the transition of our Pizza Hut U.S. style to a more modern delivery and carryout-focused asset base," Yum CEO Greg Creed said during the company's latest earnings call early in August.

Delivery-oriented restaurants that respond to orders generated by apps — in some cases facilities that do nothing but deliver food from a central location — are a growth trend in the restaurant industry. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#4745 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:46 PM

Wait, what?

https://www.cbsnews....customers-food/
  • Rob Randall likes this

#4746 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

Victoria's homegrown restaurant delivery service is heading into the history books.

A union certification vote is underway for Foodora couriers in Toronto to decide whether they’d like to join the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), and with similar pushes in Canada and beyond, an employment lawyer calls this a potential watershed moment.

CUPW said if the union certification goes ahead for the food delivery workers, it would create Canada’s first certified bargaining unit for app-based workers.

https://globalnews.c...ra-union-drive/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2019 - 07:43 AM.

#4747 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

/\.....that just goes to show the dire straits of the union movement in this country - since when does a union representing postal workers also find itself representing fast food workers? Presumably in the same way the CAW represents hotel workers at the Empress Hotel. I guess the old boys unionist network has to take new members wherever they can get them.....

We ordered out as it happened just last night for Chinese; I was thinking initially of pizza until I discovered my credit union (the second largest such entity in Canada) doesn't actually participate in the "Interac" payment option for Skip the Dishes. After fruitlessly searching online for an option that didn't re-direct me to STD, I finally settled instead on an old stand by Chinese restaurant/home delivery option we've used many times in the past. I'd rather pay their driver and give the kid a tip directly anyway......

Edited by AllseeingEye, 10 August 2019 - 03:55 PM.

#4748 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

I don't necessarily think that Food Delivery, as an activity, is contradictory to taking actions against climate change.  In some ways, Food Delivery could actually be more efficient than going to eat at a restaurant itself:  a driver who picks up 2-3 orders at a time from a busy restaurant like Mantra to deliver to a small delivery zone is gaining some efficiencies in comparison to having 2-3 households drive to the same restaurant for a dining-in experience.  If a large quantity of food is delivered for an office party, that's probably much more efficient than the same number of people going out to eat at a restaurant for a group lunch (especially in an office like mine where we would need to take at least 6-7 vehicles, even with carpooling, and where there are no eateries close by).  

Meanwhile, the jobs of 3 or 4 servers get made redundant by one delivery driver...and how does that help anyone?

#4749 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Dining out is more than just food, it's a social activity--entertainment. 

Restaurants could shift production to some anonymous warehouse district filled with a bunch of imported cooks. No bartenders, managers, hostesses, dishwashers. Then the spinoff jobs like cleaners, landscapers, interior designers disappear. Even auxiliary effects like fees for recorded music. And the plastic waste generated is incredible. 

All so you can sit around in your sweatpants and eat cold food.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:41 AM

Meanwhile, the jobs of 3 or 4 servers get made redundant by one delivery driver...and how does that help anyone?

not so sure about that math.  one server that covers 4 tables roams a few dozen feet back and forth between tables.  a delivery guy might roam a full km between deliveries.  so don't you need 2 or 3 drivers for every in-house server?

#4751 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:45 AM

Restaurants could shift production to some anonymous warehouse district filled with a bunch of imported cooks. No bartenders, managers, hostesses, dishwashers. Then the spinoff jobs like cleaners, landscapers, interior designers disappear. Even auxiliary effects like fees for recorded music. And the plastic waste generated is incredible. 

right.  i guess there is a myriad of reasons you order in.

• lazy or not dressed right to go out.  
  • don't have the ingredients to make that taco dish at home.
  • don't have sufficient transport to get to the desired restaurant.
  • wanting to work or child-mind or do another hobby/activity rather than taking 1.5 hours out for a restaurant trip.
  • "treating" yourself.
  • ordering in to work school or a place of recreation.  one of the big boons of these delivery models is they don't need to rely on your being at home with cash when they show up.  due to automatic billing they will take the food anywhere.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2019 - 05:49 AM.

#4752 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:47 AM

Some good counterpoints I agree with. 

#4753 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:53 AM

as the delivery app market matures surely there will be places that just serve alcohol but let you order in absolutely any food you want.  and supply just cutlery and the usual condiments perhaps.

welcome to my bar.

thank you.  can we see a food menu?

actually order anything you want from among the 14,286 items from the menus of these 126 local restaurants.

that's quite a selection.

yes it is.  do you want that margarita drink a double for just $2.50 extra?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2019 - 05:54 AM.

#4754 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:14 AM

...and that is exactly what some entrepreneurs have done! The emergence of ghost kitchens.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tchen-1.5162747

#4755 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

as the delivery app market matures surely there will be places that just serve alcohol but let you order in absolutely any food you want. and supply just cutlery and the usual condiments perhaps.

welcome to my bar.
thank you. can we see a food menu?
actually order anything you want from among the 14,286 items from the menus of these 126 local restaurants.
yes it is. do you want that margarita drink a double for just $2.50 extra?

Some brewpubs already allow that. They don’t bother with food, so when asked they’ll suggest several nearby options and encourage patrons to order there but hang out at the brewpub.

It’s smart.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4756 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

...and that is exactly what some entrepreneurs have done! The emergence of ghost kitchens.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tchen-1.5162747

that's quite the set-up that guy has going on.

#4757 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:59 AM

Unfortunately for a lot of young people today cooking from scratch is a retro-artisinal-niche activity, like making your own clothes or furniture.

• Mike K. and todd like this

#4758 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

Accio did this, minus the “imported” cooks. It’s nothing new.

Matt.

#4759 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

as the delivery app market matures surely there will be places that just serve alcohol but let you order in absolutely any food you want.  and supply just cutlery and the usual condiments perhaps.

welcome to my bar.
thank you.  can we see a food menu?
yes it is.  do you want that margarita drink a double for just $2.50 extra?

The Local Pub on salt spring does this. The owner also owns a few restaurants in the town centre and offers delivery, either to your home or to his pub. Sit down, order a drink, look at a few menus and decide what you want.

It’s already been done, nothing new.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4760 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

When the old Gorge pub was still standing we used to phone out for pizza. We got the idea from the waiter.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users