Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#5041 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

We have about 90 seats (sort of) and run with 12+ shifts per day in the summer, and we run an extremely tight ship thanks to our business model and solid management. :)

Of course, that’s seasonal. How many seats does this place have?

Open 16 hours a day doesn’t mean two, eight hour shifts. There is set up and tear down time as well.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

It’s the first and last place Coho and Clipper passengers see, that’s for sure. It’s also the pub for several hotels in that area and most recently the two hundred apartments in the Harbour Towers transformation.
  • Matt R. and grantpalin like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5043 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:13 PM

We have about 90 seats (sort of) and run with 12+ shifts per day in the summer, and we run an extremely tight ship thanks to our business model and solid management. :)

Of course, that’s seasonal. How many seats does this place have?

Open 16 hours a day doesn’t mean two, eight hour shifts. There is set up and tear down time as well.

Matt.

#5044 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

I’d say they have 75-ish just on the pub side easily.

Gosh it’s been about two years since I last stepped foot in the place but it has always been quite busy whenever I’d go in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5045 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:35 AM

I’ll make a point of going next time I’m over. I get the impression it’s a big space, few hundred seats including the patio, no?

Matt.

#5046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

A lot of people are upset over this tax. But I don’t think they realize that this cost is past on to them anyways, they just don’t see it split.

Know it all.

#5047 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

And like most expenses passed on to customers, people have the option of taking their business elsewhere. 

#5048 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

I’ll make a point of going next time I’m over. I get the impression it’s a big space, few hundred seats including the patio, no?

Matt.

ya easily when the patio is at full steam summer.

#5049 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

The Livet restaurant closed permanently last week...

#5050 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

I’d say they have 75-ish just on the pub side easily.

Gosh it’s been about two years since I last stepped foot in the place but it has always been quite busy whenever I’d go in.

We went for lunch Saturday around 2 pm and there were around 30 patrons still in the pub. A few conventioneers from the whiskey festival were there. About four o'clock it started filling up again and the manager said they were attempting to squeeze some early tables in before the reservations arrived. They were fully booked for the evening.

We had a fantastic meal. One of the best ever. Even tricky dishes that some restaurants mess up, like calamari and mussels were done to perfection. Good service, too. 

• Mike K. likes this

#5051 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Unfortunately the last time my wife and I ate there, maybe a year ago, we saw a mouse. We haven't gone back.

Edited by Hotel Mike, 19 January 2020 - 10:50 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5052 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

^That would be the Robert Bateman Wildlife Experience.

• Matt R., Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#5053 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I’ve stopped counting the times I see mice in restaurants. You won’t ever want to go out if I start listing the names of the restaurants.

Good news is that every restaurant has a rodent abatement plan in place and as long as proper food handling and cleaning are done there is virtually zero risk to public health. Our own kitchens can in many cases be dirtier than restaurant kitchens.
  • Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#5054 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

Marta Cafe and Pantry is open at Bay/Shakespeare now:

https://www.martacaf...pantry.com/cafe

#5055 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

closed mondays and tuesdays.

#5056 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

See! Another alcohol-related business.

Know it all.

#5057 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned:  Haro's Restaurant (at Sidney Pier Hotel) is now closed/defunct.  The restaurant will be reopening as the newest outlet of Ten Acres...

#5058 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:16 PM

Oh crazy.

Know it all.

#5059 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:11 PM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned:  Haro's Restaurant (at Sidney Pier Hotel) is now closed/defunct.  The restaurant will be reopening as the newest outlet of Ten Acres...

2 months renovations in progress.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

#5060 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

"Wind Cries Mary" has opened up in the old "Camille's" space in Bastion Square.

Wind Cries Mary will have some big shoes to fill taking over the former Camille's space; the latter being one of the finer dining establishments in recent Victoria history. 

WCM has applied for an amendment to their food primary liquor license, to change their operating hours from 9AM-12AM to 9AM-2AM. Looks like the DRA land use committee has requested additional information before they will support the application.

• Greg and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users