Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#5141 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

Incidentally I ate at the Roost for breakfast recently with another. They've changed their service setup at some point from a full service sit-down place to ordering at the counter, picking up your drinks, finding a table, and having the food brought out. We were both kind of put off about that, as we tend to expect full service at a sit-down restaurant (contrary to previous meals there). We speculated it probably saves labor costs, but it did lead to a lengthy lineup at the counter after we had placed our orders and sat down.

Edited by grantpalin, 26 February 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#5142 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

Incidentally I ate at the Roost for breakfast recently with another. They've changed their service setup at some point from a full service sit-down place to ordering at the counter, picking up your drinks, finding a table, and having the food brought out. We were both kind of put off about that, as we tend to expect full service at a sit-down restaurant (contrary to previous meals there). We speculated it probably saves labor costs, but it did lead to a lengthy lineup at the counter after we had placed our orders and sat down.

That's odd. I was there last week and had full service sit down style. In the past I've only ever ordered from the counter. 

Edited by Dr. Barillas, 27 February 2020 - 03:43 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#5143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

ok vv sleuths this one is not easy.  have at it.

https://www.realtor....645476/victoria

Highly Popular modern Japanese restaurant located in the Heart of Downtown. Business has been running since 2001 with regular customers pouring in on a daily basis. Large dining area to accommodate parties of all sizes. Two sushi bars with one fancy drink bar. Full commercial kitchen for any type of cuisine. Located on a busy street nearby The Bay Centre with large amounts of tourist and pedestrian traffic. Lots of street parking for convenience. Services range from dining in, take out, and delivery. Please do not approach staff or owner regarding sale of business. 

$298k

highly popular!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 February 2020 - 02:36 PM.

#5144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:34 PM

Open since 2001, Azuma Sushi is the most prominent Japanese restaurant on Vancouver Island. Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Victoria, our 180 seat restaurant features, two sushi bars, a lavish drink bar, and a breathtaking aquarium that is sure to exceed any dining expectations. Our establishment caters to take out and delivery orders, but we recommend coming in for the full Azuma experience.

https://www.azuma-sushi-victoria.com/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 February 2020 - 02:35 PM.

#5145 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

Sad.

Matt.

#5146 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

Sad.

Matt.

Why?

#5147 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

It’s such a big place and the owner has put so much into it over the years, I think the expansions were pretty ambitious. $300k sounds like a fire sale price.

ETA: I’ve been a long time fan of Azuma, from two expansions ago right when Alan opened. I’ve always found the food to be consistently good to great and we eat there often when we are downtown. Nothing but best wishes for the future!

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 29 February 2020 - 11:32 PM.

• Redd42 likes this

#5148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:41 AM

Has the View Street sushi place sold?

Maybe sushi is no longer as in vogue as it was ten years ago. Prices are also quickly rising.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5149 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

Not sure who is behind this one, but there's a Development Permit with Variance application in for a new restaurant at 2155 Dowler Place, behind the arena. Tiny little space, just three large tables and a counter. Sketch plans are here: https://tender.victo...302084907457531

#5150 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

Xing Fu Tang's grand opening is this weekend. 50% off the first 300 drinks each day, plus get a BOGO coupon for a future purchase:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9SHahRhCtg 

#5151 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:04 PM

Not sure who is behind this one, but there's a Development Permit with Variance application in for a new restaurant at 2155 Dowler Place, behind the arena. Tiny little space, just three large tables and a counter. Sketch plans are here: https://tender.victo...302084907457531

Huh. I'm by there pretty regular. It's a pretty nondescript building, seems like an odd place for a restaurant. Attached the current satellite and street views.

Attached Images

• 2155 dowler above.jpg
  • 2155 dowler street.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#5152 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Isn’t that the scientology centre? I used to live a couple blocks away from there and was always curious about the building.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#5153 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:47 AM

why's it called dowler place.  that's odd.

#5154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:25 AM

this one is very tough.

$350,000

Fantastic opportunity in Downtown Victoria. The lease is an amazing $3650 all in, with years left and a renewal option. Gorgeous kitchen with 50 seats and a full liquor license. Owner makes close to 100K a year. Please contact listing Agent for NDA. 

https://www.realtor....650531/victoria

#5155 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

Isn’t that the scientology centre? I used to live a couple blocks away from there and was always curious about the building.

There used to be a sign on or by the door indicating it was a Scientology mission. The sign has been gone for some time now so IDK if that means anything. 

• gstc84 likes this

#5156 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

There used to be a sign on or by the door indicating it was a Scientology mission. The sign has been gone for some time now so IDK if that means anything. 

When you search the address a bunch of different things come up, including the campaign office for Nikki Macdonald (2019 LPC candidate)

#5157 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:28 PM

When you search the address a bunch of different things come up, including the campaign office for Nikki Macdonald (2019 LPC candidate)

I walk by there every day. It was the Scientology Centre until about a year ago or so. Then it was the Liberal HQ during the federal election. It does seem like a very odd place for a restaurant but if someone wants to open up a cool cafe that I walk by on the way to work, who am I to complain? Maybe they'll try and put in some outdoor seating in the parking lot. 

#5158 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

this one is very tough.

$350,000

Fantastic opportunity in Downtown Victoria. The lease is an amazing $3650 all in, with years left and a renewal option. Gorgeous kitchen with 50 seats and a full liquor license. Owner makes close to 100K a year. Please contact listing Agent for NDA. 

https://www.realtor....650531/victoria

The photo shows some poached eggs on what looks like a biscuit. Could it be Shanzi's Biscuit in Market Square? 

#5159 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

The photo shows some poached eggs on what looks like a biscuit. Could it be Shanzi's Biscuit in Market Square? 

Looks fancier than anything I've seen at Shanzee's. Could be the Trees Restaurant on Johnson? Would make sense they have years left on the lease, 50 seats sounds about right, and the owner might need to sell to make up some money from the $1.5 million fine he got hit with last month from the dispensaries...

Side note: I finally had breakfast at Trees a couple of weeks ago and it was probably one of the top 5 meals I've had in this city. I had the sausage hash and my partner had a classic benny. Every ingredient shone - I can't wait to go back again. The service was also top notch.

• DougG likes this

#5160 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:43 PM

Once again we have been fooled by a Realtor stock photo.

Capture.JPG

• DougG likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users