Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#5161 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

(sorry if this is posted elsewhere)

New Bakery in the old Serious Coffee-Broad St space.

'Tres Gourmet'

Attached Images

• IMG_6431.JPEG

• Mike K. and Brantastic like this

#5162 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:29 AM

Shanzee's doesn't seat 50. Might be Trees...

~ Jasmine ~

#5163 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

So it's called Cube Food Box and they're apparently opening in February according to the new sign.

Here's their website:
https://www.cubefoodbox.com

Sign permit issued yesterday, February has passed, but they must be close to opening. 

EDIT: This is re: the new cafe in the 1515 Douglas complex.

Edited by Jackerbie, 05 March 2020 - 12:03 PM.

#5164 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

Keg is closed, The Village restaurants closed, Part & Parcel closed, Perro Negro and Ferris Upstairs closed but Ferris downstairs remains open for now. Milestones closed, Romeo's open for pickup/delivery for now but dining is closed. Cactus Club Cafe open for takeout/delivery but dining closed.

Safe to say it's not who's closed, but who's open.

Surreal. That's all I can say.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 March 2020 - 08:59 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

And just like that one more thread to avoid.

#5166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:34 AM

just like that 100,000 or more employees are laid off. perhaps closer to 200,000. crazy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 March 2020 - 03:35 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#5167 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:41 AM

Moka House CSV is open; they have reduced their interior seating somewhat but you can still come in and enjoy food and drink..
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5168 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

I am Brown’s Social House at Uptown for lunch. Not many people here. They are spacing everyone out. I am sitting at a table for 4 in the corner.

I was the only one besides 2 tellers in the Scotia Bank a few minutes ago. They are going to start closing at 3:00 pm tomorrow.

Parking everywhere. Ghost town otherwise.

#5169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

I am Brown’s Social House at Uptown for lunch. Not many people here. They are spacing everyone out. I am sitting at a table for 4 in the corner.

I was the only one besides 2 tellers in the Scotia Bank a few minutes ago. They are going to start closing at 3:00 pm tomorrow.

Parking everywhere. Ghost town otherwise.

Based on the fluid and ever changing COVID-19 situation, we are making the decision to temporarily suspend dine-in operations at all 76 locations across our system effective immediately and this to remain in effect until at least March 31, 2020.   During the coming weeks we will reassess this plan and communicate our approach.

Our franchises will continue to accept takeout and delivery orders in areas where that is permissible.  Please check the individual location websites for availability details.

Everything we are doing right now is intended to balance whatever is right for our valued guests, our employees, our franchise owners and our communities.

When Prime Minister Trudeau took to the podium earlier today, he communicated that there is a need for national coordination of efforts while recognizing that local action is best suited to address jurisdictional needs and situations.  And further that decisions continued to be guided by advice from public health authorities.  We are doing all that we can to stay abreast of the guidance and to comply with it.

We thank you for your patience as we navigate these rapid changes and unchartered waters. We will continue to communicate details on our website and social media platforms as news further develops.

On behalf of the entire executive team, I want to thank you for your continued support of Browns Socialhouse, Browns Crafthouse and Liberty Kitchen in Canada and Scotty Browns in the US.

We, and our 60+ franchise owners, look forward to seeing the other side of this unprecedented situation and to welcoming you back to socialize with us, once it is permissible and appropriate.  We will come out stronger than ever.  Be safe….

#5170 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

Cafe Bliss on Pandora is permanently closed. Their lease was up at the end of March and with both COVID-19 and the eventual demolition of the building for housing they decided to close.

Also, The DRA actually did something useful and compiled a detailed list on the status of CRD restaurants and coffee shops during the pandemic:

https://docs.google....fV6iPjlh5y8wkQc

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#5171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

Cafe Bliss on Pandora is permanently closed. Their lease was up at the end of March and with both COVID-19 and the eventual demolition of the building for housing they decided to close.

Also, The DRA actually did something useful and compiled a detailed list on the status of CRD restaurants and coffee shops during the pandemic:

I suspect that many of those offering takeout will soon close. With so many people losing their jobs there will be fewer and fewer people who can afford to eat out. 

#5172 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

I suspect that many of those offering takeout will soon close. With so many people losing their jobs there will be fewer and fewer people who can afford to eat out. 

You may be underestimating how many people don't actually know how to cook for themselves.  :)

#5173 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

You may be underestimating how many people don't actually know how to cook for themselves.  :)

True but if the choice is a $4 frozen meal or $30 for an entry plus delivery from a local diner then the choice is pretty clear if you are broke.

• Redd42 likes this

#5174 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

If the proposal hasn't stalled out. No action since December 2018 when the City provided comments to the applicant. Will be difficult to find a short term tenant for the space, I imagine

#5175 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

^I'm just going by their Facebook page, which says their space is slated for construction. From what I understand, it's several years away if anything. Cavity, the curiosity shop in the same building closed a few months back but I was surprised to see a new tenant open up in its place called "LABS", which I think is a company meant to help people run their vacation rental properties.

#5176 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

There is this bran new service available called   google . 

#5177 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

There is this bran new service available called   google . 

Not everyone likes bran

• Love the rock likes this

#5178 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:50 PM

A lot of people can't even follow directions. A recipe is beyond them. They are lucky if a pizza pop turns out right.
  • Redd42 likes this

#5179 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

A lot of people can't even follow directions. A recipe is beyond them. They are lucky if a pizza pop turns out right.

Speaking of which Brickyard Pizza on Yates can be added to the growing list of restaurants temporarily shutting down. I got the second to last piece of 'za at lunch today before they shut down until at least April.

Re: the topic at hand IMO there is really no excuse for a grown adult of even average intelligence to not be able to cook for themselves from scratch, in the age of 1) the slow cooker and 2) the internet, which means there are literally thousands upon thousands of detailed step by step recipes literally at the click of a mouse....

#5180 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

I am dyslectic hard time following directions but I’m one hell of  a cook .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users