Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#5381 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:07 PM

Then they should improve their skills and apply for better jobs. The free handouts can't go on forever.

Right, improve there skills... now, with the social distancing thing and everything shut down.  And I'm sure finishing that 3-4 month semester will help them survive right now.  Of course, you're all on board them applying for student loans and going in to debt?  And you're also going to ensure there is a better job available for them on the other side?

I'm glad it's so simple for you.

• Redd42, DougG, m3m and 1 other like this

#5382 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

Vancouver city council will consider two separate motions that propose loosening up restrictions that currently ban drinking alcohol in parks, on beaches and in other public spaces.

The motions come as B.C. moves into Phase 2 of its restart plan following recommendations that prevented normal socializing to prevent the spread of COVID-19. More people are now heading to city parks to meet with friends in person after two months of mostly staying home and socializing only with members of their own household. 

A motion drafted by Coun. Christine Boyle of the OneCity party proposes that the city work with the Vancouver Park Board to allow alcohol consumption in parks.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...llors-1.4952404

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2020 - 05:38 PM.

• Brantastic and FogPub like this

#5383 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

Oh great. More alcohol consumption in public places. What could go wrong?

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5384 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

Oh great. More alcohol consumption in public places. What could go wrong?

During my travels in Germany I observed public alcohol consumption everywhere (including passengers drinking beer on the U-Bahns/subway systems) and it didn't seem to be much of a problem there.  People respectfully  consumed their drinks and didn't appear to drink excessively....

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 25 May 2020 - 09:56 AM.

• Redd42, jasmineshinga and Brantastic like this

#5385 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:19 AM

Those drinking to the point of disorderly conduct tend to do so whether it is legal or not.

#5386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

During my travels in Germany I observed public alcohol consumption everywhere (including passengers drinking beer on the U-Bahns/subway systems) and it didn't seem to be much of a problem there.  People respectfully consumed their drinks and didn't appear to drink excessively....

You don't really expect to see the same respectful behaviour here do you? In Germany and other parts of Europe "courteous" public alcohol consumption has been developed over a very long period of time. The sudden - and likely temporary - expansion here would no doubt mostly be taken advantage of by the same folks who think it's OK to get ****-faced in public on Canada Day.

Edited by Nparker, 26 May 2020 - 09:41 AM.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#5387 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

You don't really expect to see the same respectful behaviour here do you? In Germany and other parts of Europe "courteous" public alcohol consumption has been developed over a very long period if time. The sudden - and likely temporary - expansion here would no doubt mostly be taken advantage of by the same folks who think it's OK to get ****-faced in public on Canada Day.

I would think that us Canadians are just as 'capable' of good behaviour as Europeans, especially if there was an education/promotion campaign (along with enforcement powers given to authorities to arrest anyone causing mischief)?

#5388 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:30 AM

During my travels in Germany I observed public alcohol consumption everywhere (including passengers drinking beer on the U-Bahns/subway systems) and it didn't seem to be much of a problem there.  People respectfully  consumed their drinks and didn't appear to drink excessively....

Don't even have to go as far as Germany, public consumption is legal in Montreal's parks (provided that you also have a bag of chips). 

#5389 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

I would think that us Canadians are just as 'capable' of good behaviour as Europeans, especially if there was an education/promotion campaign (along with enforcement powers given to authorities to arrest anyone causing mischief)?

Capable - perhaps? Likely - the jury is still out on that. If our authorities don't even have the power to arrest people who commit "survival crimes" I have little faith that alcohol-related mischief will be taken seriously.

#5390 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

I have a beer at Gonzales Beach all the time. Looking around, I'd see I'm not the only one. People drink at beaches up and down Dallas Road regularly with not much of an issue. What's the point of having laws on the books if the laws are neither followed by the public at large nor enforced? Allow me a bit of freedom as an adult to make my own responsible decisions.

• FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this

#5391 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

The liquor laws and the marijuana laws are grossly out of sync. You can't drink a beer in the park but you can bring in and smoke a whole handful of weed. If you buy alcohol you must take it directly home, but you can buy marijuana and drive around all day with it in the car, as long as you don't smoke it.
  • Nparker likes this

#5392 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:46 PM

Fol Epi on Yates is moving away from tips and into higher wages and prices. Made some noise today on Facebook.

https://www.agriusre...portant-changes

Matt.
  • Brantastic likes this

#5393 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

Fol Epi on Yates is moving away from tips and into higher wages and prices. Made some noise today on Facebook.

Matt.

Up to them. Local restaurants that have tried to increase prices and forgo tips have not fared so well.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#5394 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

Matt.

i'm also a bit skeptical of the system.  we will raise our prices now you please don't tip.  ie. management will decide the "tip level" (higher wages) to our staff.  seems odd.

COVID-19 has impacted everyone, the government support programs have not helped us much. After various exemptions, wages subsidies that were touted at 75% for weeks end up being closer to 30% in our case. This comes after we have had to carry that expense several weeks before seeing any of it back, at a time when we really do not have the financial latitude to do so. We are falling behind with suppliers, tax remittances…

We have decided to raise our prices in order to practice business according to our beliefs and to better support our staff and suppliers. We are moving away from the tipping system that has been problematic for so long. Many other areas of the world have already done this and we feel now is the best time to do this here as well. You don’t need to tip, just be nice, it’s all good. It’s a great simple system, in fact how we buy most things! Our staff will still offer the same great service.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2020 - 06:52 PM.

#5395 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

It’s really North America that’s odd here. The rest of the world mostly works this way.

Matt.

#5396 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

It’s really North America that’s odd here. The rest of the world mostly works this way.

Matt.

Vastly different service experience though in most countries without tipping. 

#5397 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

I’m still right.

Matt.
  • Matt R., Redd42, vortoozo and 2 others like this

#5398 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

Can you imagine if other industries operated this way? Like, any trades for example..."cheaper labour but tip the technician whatever you feel is fair!"

Edited by GetLisaSomeHelps, 25 May 2020 - 07:52 PM.

• GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#5399 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

The question is, will they remove the tip function from their credit card machine?
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#5400 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

The question is, will they remove the tip function from their credit card machine?

Why would they? He’s clearly said there is no expectation to tip, but I don’t think a staff member would refuse one.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 25 May 2020 - 09:01 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users