Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#5421 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

Tell me so I can avoid places like that.

This is basically the standard. It’s typical to tip out the kitchen based on food sales, bar based on bar sales, and hosts and bussers are usually less formal and the server flips them whatever they think is fair.

Matt.

#5422 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

It does not show up in revenue.

Matt.

if the tips are going electronically into the employers bank accounts and the employer is not treating it as income to the employee then the CRA would consider it the company's revenue.

#5423 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

No you are wrong. It’s not a sale, it’s not revenue, it’s not money that belongs to the business.

That’s like saying GST is revenue.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 26 May 2020 - 04:39 PM.

• GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#5424 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

if the tips are going electronically into the employers bank accounts and the employer is not treating it as income to the employee then the CRA would consider it the company's revenue.

it's like when you get "cash back" using interac at the cash register.  money changes hands but there is no income for the vendor.  his take goes right back out to you.

same for a restauranteur.  his take on the tip goes right back out to the server.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 May 2020 - 04:43 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5425 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

same for a restauranteur. his take on the tip goes right back out to the server.

Unless the server works in one of many restaurants in town where the owner helps themselves to a portion of the tips while claiming to have taken none when tax time comes around.
  • Matt R. and johnk2 like this

#5426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

Unless the server works in one of many restaurants in town where the owner helps themselves to a portion of the tips while claiming to have taken none when tax time comes around.

yes that probably happens.  in a decent place the server walks out each shift with their tips.  they don't have to wait until "tip day".  

#5427 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

yes that probably happens. in a decent place the server walks out each shift with their tips. they don't have to wait until "tip day".

Less and less so over the last few years as cash sales decline especially at the mid to higher end places.

Matt.

#5428 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

Clif Leir of Fol Epi on cfax today.

https://www.iheartra...79?mode=Article

Matt.

#5429 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

Less and less so over the last few years as cash sales decline especially at the mid to higher end places.

Matt.

So how do the tips on the card transactions get given to the server?

#5430 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

No you are wrong. It’s not a sale, it’s not revenue, it’s not money that belongs to the business.

That’s like saying GST is revenue.

Matt.

I am not sure what you are saying Matt. Are you disagreeing that tips received by the company and then paid to the employee are not counted as income for the employee?

#5431 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:41 PM

The liquor laws and the marijuana laws are grossly out of sync. You can't drink a beer in the park but you can bring in and smoke a whole handful of weed.

What park is that? All parks within the CRD including city parks are non-smoking.

#5432 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:22 PM

I am not sure what you are saying Matt. Are you disagreeing that tips received by the company and then paid to the employee are not counted as income for the employee?

That is what I am saying. Direct tips are different than controlled tips, and there is a hair to split here. I’ll let you look that up on the CRA website yourself if you are interested.

The server can and of course is required to, declare these tips as income, but it’s not a wage and doesn’t appear on their t4.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 26 May 2020 - 11:23 PM.

#5433 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

This is basically the standard. It’s typical to tip out the kitchen based on food sales, bar based on bar sales, and hosts and bussers are usually less formal and the server flips them whatever they think is fair.

Matt.

Matt, correct me if I was wrong. I took it to mean that even if the table leaves no tip the server is required to put money in the pot for the rear-of-house workers. 

#5434 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

Matt, correct me if I was wrong. I took it to mean that even if the table leaves no tip the server is required to put money in the pot for the rear-of-house workers. 

Technically, yes, but in the real world your other tipping tables would partially make up for it. If the non-tipper were the server's only table the back of the house would likely sympathize and refuse their share. 

#5435 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:30 AM

yes.

it’s a way to prevent that one server from always coincidentally getting the tables that “don’t tip”. ie. if it was an honour system for servers to place a portion of their tips (say 10% in my example here) to the other people there would always be cheating. when a server gets a cash tip - $5 or $50 from one table - the house (or the tipped out people) has no way to track it. some servers then will not throw in $5 on their $50 tip. they will just throw in 50 cents as if it was the smaller tip. the mandatory tip out in the sales amount certainly works in the servers favour when they earn an unusually large tip one shift from one or more tables.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 May 2020 - 11:37 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5436 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:51 PM

Yep.

Tip outs are usually on sales.  Some places take a cut of the actual tips, but that's impossible to police so isn't as common.

Matt.

• FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this

#5437 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:16 PM

Vancouver city council will consider two separate motions that propose loosening up restrictions that currently ban drinking alcohol in parks, on beaches and in other public spaces.

The motions come as B.C. moves into Phase 2 of its restart plan following recommendations that prevented normal socializing to prevent the spread of COVID-19. More people are now heading to city parks to meet with friends in person after two months of mostly staying home and socializing only with members of their own household. 

A motion drafted by Coun. Christine Boyle of the OneCity party proposes that the city work with the Vancouver Park Board to allow alcohol consumption in parks.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...llors-1.4952404

Penticton may beat Vancouver to the punch. On June 2 Council will consider staff's response to an earlier referral, which could see public drinking permitted in select parks and beaches on a trial basis as soon as June 5. via https://www.vernonmo...-public-places/

#5438 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

Penticton may beat Vancouver to the [spiked] punch....  :banana:

• Jackerbie likes this

#5439 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:00 PM

Anyone know anything about the new Da Tandoor restaurant on Veterans Parkway in Langford?.

Ate the there last night and it was the best East Indian food that I have had in ages!

Apparently the operators had another well known one in town a number of years ago but sold and retired. 

Strange location and a strange time to open but well worth a visit.

• Mike K. likes this

#5440 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

4 Mile Pub reopening Monday! Huzzah for patio beers away from downtown!

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users