Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#5621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

No but they do offer a place to store your tent and replica guns.

#5622 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

The Indian food restaurant in the Public Market, Sutra, is moving to the ground level of the Johnson Street Parkade where Eggholic opened a few months ago. Eggholic has "we are moving" signs, but it didn't say to where.

#5623 berzele

berzele
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

I am looking for a turnkey turkey restaurant if anyone knows one coming onto the market.

https://www.hartsturkeyfarm.com/

#5624 berzele

berzele
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

Yes to the bacon & onion & sour cream!  Do not thaw them before boiling! Toss frozen into boiling water. When they float they are done boiling. Time to scoop em out and place into hot pan with the already cooked bacon & onions

Yup. That’s the way to do it. Make sure to add some oil to the water when you’re boiling them.

Fry up some bacon and chopped onion as you’re boiling them then fry up the pierogis with the bacon and onions. You can add butter to the mix if there’s not much fat to the bacon, or if you’re not frying bacon then fry with two square inches of butter.

Then you serve them with sour cream as a dipping ‘sauce.’ Careful on the salt. Add it when you’re ready to eat as some bacon brands are a bit salty to start with, or if your butter is salted.

• Mike K. and GaryRanson like this

#5625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:00 PM

Yes! Totally, they’ll float when done.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5626 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

I believe there's a new Indian restaurant on Fisgard across from Starbucks called "Indian Aroma Restaurant". I think there was a Chinese restaurant here previously.

#5627 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:24 PM

I believe there's a new Indian restaurant on Fisgard across from Starbucks called "Indian Aroma Restaurant". I think there was a Chinese restaurant here previously.

iSN'T THE NEW ONE IN sIDNEY CALLED  isn't the new one in Sidney called the same ??

#5628 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

No, that's the Royal Aroma. See also the ensuing conversation about the number of Indian restaurants with the word "aroma" in them.

#5629 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

The Downtown Residents' Association is expressing strong opposition to the proposal to add a 99-seat rooftop patio to the 176-seat brewpub restaurant application at 506 Herald Street.  The letter notes that the Strathcona Hotel's rooftop patio has had 'catastrophic' impacts on the livability of the Falls.  See https://victoriadra....ept-25-2020.pdf

#5630 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Forum? The one with a mural?

#5631 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

The Downtown Residents' Association is expressing strong opposition to the proposal to add a 99-seat rooftop patio to the 176-seat brewpub restaurant application at 506 Herald Street...

Someone really needs to explain what a "downtown" is to these folks.

#5632 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

This will be interesting as the building permit package submitted to the city originally had the patio and the city approved it for construction. The owners make a huge investment in the structural upgrades required for the rooftop patio. Sounds like a lawsuit if they stop them now.

#5633 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

This will be interesting as the building permit package submitted to the city originally had the patio and the city approved it for construction. The owners make a huge investment in the structural upgrades required for the rooftop patio. Sounds like a lawsuit if they stop them now.

Just because it was approved to be built doesn't mean it has to be approved for a liquor license. The owners took a calculated risk by phasing their liquor license.

But yah it's downtown. Let them have a nice rooftop patio because those are sorely lacking! If you don't want to be exposed to noise maybe don't choose to live in a mixed use, high density area.
  • Nparker likes this

#5634 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

...If you don't want to be exposed to noise maybe don't choose to live in a mixed use, high density area.

Tell this to the DRA.

#5635 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

When The Falls was proposed concerns about residents enduring noise from the Strath's patio were raised. The developer said window soundproofing will be better than usual and all buyers will be informed there exists a rooftop drinking establishment. Regardless, noise complaints from The Falls residents were made.

You can argue about who's problem it is but the fact remains it's a problem and City Hall doesn't like dealing with problems and they sure don't like creating them. A new rooftop patio is going to be a tough sell for Council.

#5636 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

A new rooftop patio is going to be a tough sell for Council.

But if a roof top homeless camp sprung up Council wouldn't give a $*#@.

• GaryRanson likes this

#5637 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:08 PM

You can argue about who's problem it is but the fact remains it's a problem and City Hall doesn't like dealing with problems and they sure don't like creating them. A new rooftop patio is going to be a tough sell for Council.

The entire downtown is a giant drinking patio now, it feels like.

I can’t see this being denied since they approved a patio on Broughton at Blanshard a few years ago, and sidewalk patios are available to any drinking establishment that wants one. Maybe they can reach a compromise with fewer than 99 patrons (under COVID that might take care of itself or limiting hours to 10PM, which under COVID also takes care of itself, but 99 people does seem like a large number).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5638 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:54 PM

i thought some outdoor patios were limited to 11pm closing.

#5639 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

i thought some outdoor patios were limited to 11pm closing.

Last liquor call must be 10 pm. You can stay open later and serve food, but not booze.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#5640 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:59 PM

I can’t see this being denied since they approved a patio on Broughton at Blanshard a few years ago, and sidewalk patios are available to any drinking establishment that wants one. Maybe they can reach a compromise with fewer than 99 patrons (under COVID that might take care of itself or limiting hours to 10PM, which under COVID also takes care of itself, but 99 people does seem like a large number).

The covid crisis isn't, one hopes, going to last forever; and thus, one hopes, neither are all the extra restrictions it has caused.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users