Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#6061 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:26 PM

The continuing concentration and proliferation of late night liquor primary seats in the downtown is concerning. Will there be no residential districts in our downtown community where residents might expect to continue to enjoy the quiet enjoyment of their homes?

If people can't expect to live a quiet suburban lifestyle in the heart of downtown then where can they expect it?

Seriously though, I understand the premise of the complaint. But then again, in this particular instance we're stressing about the proliferation of potentially disruptive downtown-style businesses... at Douglas and Cormorant. What next? A disruptive large retailer on Douglas Street? A disruptive office building? A disruptive hotel?

Why does it always have to be A-versus-B? Why do people keep falling for the false framing of every issue in that manner? Nobody finds it even a bit peculiar that not a single downtown resident ever wants to preserve and/or elaborate the downtown environment? Downtown residences and the established downtown milieu shouldn't be like oil and water, and yet we approach every single controversy as if one needs to triumph over the other.

...strongly support a vibrant downtown that includes late night drinking establishments but cannot support this application in its current form

For the bajillionth time, it's not that they're opposed to everything. Not at all. But [insert current controversy here] is just the wrong thing in the wrong place. If the right thing in the right place ever comes along, you can bet they'll be wildly supportive. But until then...

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#6062 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:01 PM

If people can't expect to live a quiet suburban lifestyle in the heart of downtown then where can they expect it?

People are demonized for wanting to live in the quiet suburbs by downtown and urban residents wanting downtown to be quiet like the suburbs? Is this another one of those You Know You’re from Victoria When... memes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6063 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

I thought the idea of living downtown was to be in the middle of the action, walk to the pubs, bars and restaurants.

• pontcanna likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6064 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:42 PM

OK, I'm pretty clear what people in Sooke think about nighttime noise Downtown.

• Matt R. likes this

#6065 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

From Sooke the downtown karaoke noise is actually quite peaceful. Pleasant background sound.

• Rob Randall likes this

#6066 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

Should be an interesting tug of war between competing interests. 

#6067 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

From Sooke the downtown karaoke noise is actually quite peaceful. Pleasant background sound.

You mean, you can hear it over the chainsaws?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6068 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:50 PM

Sign posted on the door at Original Joe's Tuscany Village says "closed until further notice".

#6069 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:54 PM

how big is the patio? a lot of places are going to lose money just trying to have a patio business.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6070 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

It's a decent size patio with about half a dozen tables. One of the few patios in the neighbourhood, it's a huge loss to be closed on a day like this. Covid outbreak? 1550s is nearby, their patio is not as nice but was full. 

#6071 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:35 PM

A few changes around Downtown:
-The former Jusu location in the Atrium is now Urban Forage, which sounds like a catering company, but when I looked in the windows it looked like they had other pre-made foods (ex. soups) you could take on the go.
-The other former Jusu location on Fisgard in Chinatown has "leased" signs that just went up a couple days ago. I can't find what it's going to be.
-The vacant unit next to Cafe Mexico (with the big infinity symbol above it) has a sign up for a liquor primary license for a business called Artemis. I can't find any info on it.
-Not a food service but don't feel like a second post: Lore General Store is moving from Government Street. They are going exclusively online for now and then will eventually open in a new location.

• Mike K. likes this

#6072 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:38 PM

And of course many new patios in addition to the ones that were set up last year - Burger Crush, Jam Cafe, Dutch Bakery and Herald St Brew Works, were some that I've noticed. 

The former Floyd's location has continued to undergo renovations.

• Mike K. likes this

#6073 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:39 PM

Urban Forage is the retail front for a heck of a chef named
Michael Williams. He’s the corporate chef for Country Grocer and a couple others. Great guy and great food! Excited to see his space.

He’s been the host of Cooking on the Coast over on Chek the last few seasons.

https://m.youtube.co...rPmFmE5J15dhhwQ

Matt.
  • jasmineshinga likes this

#6074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

Corporate chef for Country Grocer?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6075 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:51 PM

-The vacant unit next to Cafe Mexico (with the big infinity symbol above it) has a sign up for a liquor primary license for a business called Artemis. I can't find any info on it.

There was a nightclub in that spot before, called "Infinity" (hence the infinity symbol); I wonder if this Artemis outfit has inherited the liquor license somehow.  Curious to see what they do with it.

• Matt R. likes this

#6076 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:50 PM

Corporate chef for Country Grocer?

Yes, I think that’s the title. Development chef? Have you been to a grocery store lately? They have lots or ready to eat foods. Someone comes up with those recipes, methods, controls, etc.

Matt.
  • Mike K. and jasmineshinga like this

#6077 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:33 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, Montreal Subs is also opening in the Fairfield Block on Douglas between Loyal Tea and the nail salon. That leaves just the corner unit, which was recently renovated, left vacant.

#6078 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, Montreal Subs is also opening in the Fairfield Block on Douglas between Loyal Tea and the nail salon. That leaves just the corner unit, which was recently renovated, left vacant.

Is the vacant unit the one that the tiki bar is/was going in to?

#6079 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:52 PM

No. I believe the tiki bar is on the cormorant side of the building.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6080 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

Didn't see too much advertising for this one, but there are 12 Victoria area restaurants participating in the "Poutine with Purpose" campaign this week. Buy a poutine, support Mealshare. https://poutinewithp...rants/#Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users