Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#6321 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:04 PM

anyone know where this place is opening?  It has good reviews.   

Chicken World

Chicken World has three locations in Metro Vancouver, with a fourth that should be open by mid-September at the latest, located at 1707 Kingsway in Vancouver. Their most popular location is on Denman in Vancouver's West End which attracts many evening strollers coming from English Bay. The fifth location for Chicken World will be in Victoria, and Jahangir is hopeful that he can open the restaurant by the end of this year.

https://www.vancouve...ncouver-4253946

Edited by UDeMan, 26 August 2021 - 10:05 PM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#6322 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

I love fresh takes on fried chicken. South asian spices, masala fries?! Sign me up.

• Mike K., Dr. Barillas and qv like this

#6323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, this is sounding pretty good.
  • qv likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6324 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:17 AM

Following from my previous update, the Bubby's patio is a little more finished looking and has gained some furnishing. I wonder if they are planning for late summer and fall patio usage.

Attached Images

• PXL_20210828_172043799.MP (2).jpg

#6325 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:25 AM

A less ornate, black fence would have looked better, IMHO.

#6326 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 12:28 PM

Agree, it doesn't look right with that building. Not only that, the two sections aren't even the same height.

#6327 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 09:53 AM

All three of the restaurants at the Strathcona Hotel in downtown Victoria were closed this weekend due to a staffing shortage.

"We're going to need immigration," he said. "People can't roll their eyes at this. We just don't have enough people."

I can see people not wanting to get into that line of work if it is going to be continually shut down from Covid restrictions, but we have created whole sectors of our economy which don't pay enough for someone to live.  While I don't want to pay an extra buck for a burger, I would if it meant the people serving me were able to pay rent.

#6328 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:00 AM

While I don't want to pay an extra buck for a burger, I would if it meant the people serving me were able to pay rent.

feel free.  it's called tipping.  

#6329 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:04 AM

I can see people not wanting to get into that line of work if it is going to be continually shut down from Covid restrictions, but we have created whole sectors of our economy which don't pay enough for someone to live.  

we have?  everyone i know seems to "live".  we don't have people dying do we?  we don't have any/many homeless workers.

believe it or not the industry can take care of itself just like any industry does.  no need for foreign workers.  raise prices and wages and improve working conditions where required.

it's a bit strange that a bar/restaurant complex with 4 or 5 pubs has to close them all on a weekend.  why not just have your remaining workers and managers working one or two bars?

CTV could not get a statement or interview with from any of the owners or managers for their story?

at the beginning and end of of this clip they have a bit from the Pags founder saying "this is the busiest we have ever been".  and he's working the floor.   

https://www.ctvnews....clipId=2268899 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 August 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#6330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:29 AM

They also closed their nightclub down due to insurance costs.

The industry is in flux. I can see kitchen shortages impacting the entire operation regardless of where frontline staff are working.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6331 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:56 AM

They can still serve liquor without cooks. Why on earth close BBJ’s due to lack of cooks.

Matt.
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic, FogPub and 1 other like this

#6332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:24 AM

Doesn’t it serve food?

Know it all.

#6333 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:27 AM

it probably does but is not required to have a food menu.  why not just sell some booze?  better mark-up than food anyway.

• Matt R. likes this

#6334 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:20 PM

Maybe there will be more people willing to work when CEWS ends.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#6335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:29 PM

it probably does but is not required to have a food menu. why not just sell some booze? better mark-up than food anyway.

For the five old guys sitting at the bar it’s probably not worth it.

But even the old guys are starting to add up the $8 pints and are voting with their feet. How much longer can this industry survive on nearly $10/beer (at some places it already is $10 after tax for a pint) and $20 entry level hamburgers that the restaurants would like you to tip 20% on, service or no service, good service or bad service, good food or bad food.

Jeez Louise I was at a function last week where the person who picked up the bill for a table of 10 paid 15% tip on the gross total. The server unabashedly said “you want to tip just 15%?” The guy said “well I’m not tipping you on the taxes I just paid.”

I dunno, but something is going to give.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6336 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:32 PM

Doesn’t explain why the strath chose to close everything this weekend. You’re telling me BBJ would only have eight guys nursing pints of Lucky this weekend? They’d be having $15,000 days or whatever.

Would the rooftop be devoid of patrons because they weren’t serving fajitas and only liquor?

Matt.

#6337 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:34 PM

Maybe there will be more people willing to work when CEWS ends.

Why would that help?

Matt.

#6338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 01:13 PM

Rooftop isn’t open at all, I thought? I tried to go there not that long ago and staff said it wasn’t open.

Know it all.

#6339 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 01:19 PM

I had beers on the rooftop about a month or so ago.

#6340 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 02:46 PM

Rooftop isn’t open at all, I thought? I tried to go there not that long ago and staff said it wasn’t open.

It was just an example, Mike. I think you get what I’m saying, but for some reason don’t want to agree.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users