• 8,035 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 08:26 PM

The price did just drop …

#6562 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:59 PM

I see John’s Place is closing Monday and Tuesday due to the usual reasons.

We are finally back to regular hours this week, after working on reduced hours since early summer.

#6563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 06:32 AM

Vegan fast-food restaurant planned for Victoria

Ontario-based Odd Burger Corporation sets sights on the West Coast

MENU:   https://oddburger.co...ns/menu/burgers

https://www.vancouve...d-for-victoria/

A Canadian fast-food company with vegan offerings is planning to open its first B.C. location in the province’s capital.

Odd Burger Corporation is an Ontario-owned chain of fast-food restaurants serving all-vegan breakfasts, burgers, salads and wraps. Its locations have on-demand cooking technology, online ordering, self-checkout kiosks and cashless transactions, a press release from the corporation says.

The Victoria location will be owned by franchisees John Bowker and Luke Ceraldi at a to-be-determined address. It’s slated to open within three months of finding a location.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2022 - 06:34 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#6564 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:44 PM

CTV article on Boston Pizza Closure: 

https://vancouverisl...years-1.5734503

I wander what kind of financial breaks- if any- where offered to franchisees by the franchisor over the last few years?  I have to assume that- in a time of rising labour and ingredient costs- paying royalties of around 8% of gross sales would place many franchised businesses at a disadvantage.

#6565 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:51 PM

I wander what kind of financial breaks- if any- where offered to franchisees by the franchisor over the last few years?  I have to assume that- in a time of rising labour and ingredient costs- paying royalties of around 8% of gross sales would place many franchised businesses at a disadvantage.

It has a massive national ad and promotional/brand budget though, it's not like you don't get some value from those fees.  Plus discounted food/supplies.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#6566 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

...He thinks that more funding from all levels of government would have helped the business survive, especially as health orders constantly evolved during the pandemic. I think the federal government did a good job at the beginning with subsidies, but as time went on… the money dried up..

There's only so long that taxpayers can continue to subsidize businesses to be closed or operate at less than 100% capacity. These constant government shut downs and pandemic games have to stop.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6567 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:57 PM

It has a massive national ad and promotional/brand budget though, it's not like you don't get some value from those fees.  Plus discounted food/supplies.

Yes, you do get marketing and you *might* get access to some discounted ingredients, but if you have to buy from certain suppliers you might be paying more than spot wholesale prices in some instances.

In the case of at least one of Boston Pizza's 'competitors'- Pagliacci's- the business has been able to run since the 1970s with scarcely any advertising...

#6568 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:01 PM

Yes, you do get marketing and you *might* get access to some discounted ingredients, but if you have to buy from certain suppliers you might be paying more than spot wholesale prices in some instances.

In the case of at least one of Boston Pizza's 'competitors'- Pagliacci's- the business has been able to run since the 1970s with scarcely any advertising...

You have some points I guess.   Although of course I'm not sure Pags and BP are very comparable.

But look, this guy had 35 years.  I guess if he had opportunity to go independent even if he had to open at a different location he had some time to weigh things.

#6569 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:04 PM

Throw in double digit inflation, record high energy prices and new taxes (the NDP started with MSP premiums being downloaded to employers, and now they’ve introduced a sick-pay regime), and that’s in addition to raising the minimum wage by 40%.

And this year, governments are raising payroll taxes, income taxes, business contributions for EI and CPP, and the carbon tax is rising come April 1st.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6570 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:04 PM

Oh, and Orange Julius has closed at Mayfair after 30 years.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6571 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:19 PM

I would hardly call pag’s a competitor to Boston pizza.

• Matt R. likes this

#6572 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Come on, Howie had his own tv show in the 80’s. Who can forget the pink sweater vest?
  • RoadRunner likes this

#6573 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:53 PM

Throw in double digit inflation, record high energy prices and new taxes (the NDP started with MSP premiums being downloaded to employers, and now they’ve introduced a sick-pay regime), and that’s in addition to raising the minimum wage by 40%.

And this year, governments are raising payroll taxes, income taxes, business contributions for EI and CPP, and the carbon tax is rising come April 1st.

And the cartel is raising dairy prices another 10-15% next month, think of how much cheese a place like BP hammers through. It’s just a pile on.

Many restaurants and other businesses are likely running at break even right now, or less, so when the lease comes up for renewal and it’s up 10% or whatever and you have already been working for free for two years… it’s not hard to get your head around the decision to close, especially when you can walk into a new job tomorrow and start making money again.

#6574 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

It's heartbreaking what's happening.

Like I was saying in another thread, today we have employers crippled by a lack of labour, but soon we will have rampant unemployment as efficiencies enter the system, and some jobs disappear forever at the businesses that remained operating, and at those that will shutter.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6575 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:03 PM

Someone should open a nice little Bistro on Pandora. Seems to lots of people strolling on the street when I drove by this afternoon.

• Nparker likes this

#6576 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:10 PM

Relish was a nice little bistro once upon a time. :)

#6577 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,002 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:42 AM

“It’s just myself and my business partner trying to operate a restaurant,” said Strachan. “But we also went from sales that were a $1,000,000 a year in business down to $200,000.”

Ian Tostensen, president and chief executive officer of the BC Restaurant and Food Services Association, said the industry is now facing a new wave of challenges.

“It is a dangerous time because all the federal supports which were wage supports and rent supports are gone,” he said.

According to Tostensen, the pandemic is already responsible for the closure of around 3,000 B.C. restaurants. He believes that number could surge in the immediate future.

https://www.cheknews...llenges-936247/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 January 2022 - 04:43 AM.

#6578 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:07 AM

Does anyone know if there is actually on stats on the number of restaurants in greater Victoria today as opposed to pre pandemic. We all know that restaurants close all the time but I was wondering if there were any actual stats on this?

#6579 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

It's heartbreaking what's happening.

Like I was saying in another thread, today we have employers crippled by a lack of labour, but soon we will have rampant unemployment as efficiencies enter the system, and some jobs disappear forever at the businesses that remained operating, and at those that will shutter.

I was getting my booster shot the other day and I marveled at how many people the MoH had hired to do everything from data entry, to sanitation, to security, etc. I am assuming those were mostly unskilled workers brought on for the vaccinations and who are probably making $25 to $30 an hour for their efforts. Very hard to compete when the Government can basically spend any amount of money they want to get the labour they need.

• Mike K. and A Girl is No one like this

#6580 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:41 AM

They’ve been doing a lot of work on the new Papa John’s on Fort Street.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users