Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8812 replies to this topic

#6621 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, it sounds like this project has been cancelled. There was some sort of a hiccup and the application got pulled.

NOT cancelled! 

... but dammit!  you guys suck!  i wanted to be the first to break it!!!  arrrrrrgh!  hate you guys.  this was my moment!

Does this mean we will be able to keep our very first Slushy Snack?  :P

... and i really do hope somebody comes along and re-birth's Pluto's 2.0

fwiw... i think a 70's jetson's type diner would slay at this location!

Attached Images

• IMG_20220207_165906.jpg
  • IMG_20220207_165917.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#6622 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 10:15 PM

It looks like a cross between "The Max" from the original Saved by the Bell and an old school Sonic Drive-In.

• LocalMom and Matt R. like this

#6623 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:19 AM

kungfucious, the redevelopment is still in play?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6624 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:06 PM

‘A lot of sadness’: Jasmine Family Restaurant closing its doors in Colwood

After more than 20 years, local staple to close in March to make way for new development

https://www.vicnews....ors-in-colwood/

Head's up for anyone planning on partaking before they finally close; we were there this morning and it was a gong show. No lineup initially, we got seated within perhaps 3-4 mins but immediately thereafter, starting about 9:30, it was a continuous stream of humanity.

The result was that it was an hour++ for the food to show up. Mrs ASE was somewhat less than impressed especially since at least two tables were seated after but served ahead of us; I was mid-way between miffed and irked. In spite of the fact breakfast was tasty and hot when it finally did put in an appearance, it was nevertheless the first time I can ever recall not leaving a grat for a meal. Still recommend from a quality of food/cost perspective but if like me this morning, you have other places to be that day by such and such a time, you might want to pass...

#6625 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:14 PM

A place so popular that no one goes there anymore.

#6626 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 06:38 PM

Please tell me you at least talked to the staff and gave them an opportunity to “make it right” before you stiffed the server out of a tip.

#6627 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 07:24 PM

Please tell me you at least talked to the staff and gave them an opportunity to “make it right” before you stiffed the server out of a tip.

Certainly, the issue wasn't the server, who was running off her feet, the issue was management who in that establishment are generally responsible for greeting and seating and in our case took our order and two of the three times I had to ask about it over the next 70 minutes the query was specifically and intentionally directed to a management person.

I should have clarified the server got an appropriate cash tip but I made it very clear to the owner when paying up front, which you have to do at Jasmine's and almost always to one of the owners, and where no grat was added on the debit machine that the server got a tip which was hers and hers alone and not to be thrown in some collective "pool", that the experience was not satisfactory especially considering people seated well after us were served first. I reminded him too that my time is valuable too and I in fact was now running late to not one but two appointments. 

#6628 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 08:42 AM

Looks like Papa John's pizza is now open at Tuscany village. Saw signs out on the street advertising a $10 two topping opening special.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#6629 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,878 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:50 AM

$150,000

Welcome to well-decorated POKE restaurant, which serves fresh and delicious Hawaiian and Japanese style cuisine. This restaurant is located adjacent to Chinatown, a popular place for both local and tourists in downtown Victoria. It is easily accessible and visible through a large glass window from outside. It is mainly to-go order, with 6 tables inside and patios for warmer seasons. The ample cooking space and high ceiling, lots of storage space, and a relaxing space for employees are superior with upgraded kitchen facilities and a large walk-in cooler. Good lease terms with more than 4 years left and affordable rental fee. You can achieve your successful dream business here.

513 Fisgard St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2022 - 08:51 AM.

#6630 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 12:59 PM

kungfucious, the redevelopment is still in play?

sorry, i misunderstood the discussion you guys were having at the time.  i had thought your above question was in regards to this film shoot.

sadly, the facade of the petrol station is gone now, but while i was snooping around, the security guard in the white tesla came up to talk with me.  not a typical security guard btw...  he was actually nice and willing to have a chat. 

heres an inside scoop for you VV guys:

• yes, the owner of the station did run into some difficulties bringing his plan for the lot back to life
  • thats why he accepted that opportunity by the filming guys to do that project
  • he is now back to the drawing board re-doing his original plan
  • this new plan he is working on will still have a custom car aftermarket/modification/repair component,
  • ... but will also include some kind of f&b component as well now!

i think its safe to say that when the film shoot was happening, a lot of positive feedback was generated and this has swayed his decision making.  i love it, even if its only a pipe dream at the moment.  GL to him bringing in Pluto's 2.0!

Attached Images

• IMG_20220223_163416.jpg

Edited by kungfucious, 27 February 2022 - 01:01 PM.

#6631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 01:04 PM

Very cool, thank you!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6632 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 01:05 PM

The Art of Slow Food, a gluten free Cafe, had opened at the Hudson Mews: https://www.theartofslowfood.com/
  • Mike K. likes this

#6633 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:34 AM

PS- it looks like a renovation is underway @ the former Swiss Chalet; does anyone know which restaurant will occupy this space on Douglas St.?

#6634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:43 AM

Oh that’s interesting!

Know it all.

#6635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:45 AM

It would be more interesting to hear the building was being torn down to make way for redevelopment of this property and the former Mayfair Lanes land.

• Mike K. and Dr. Barillas like this

#6636 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 05:22 PM

PS- it looks like a renovation is underway @ the former Swiss Chalet; does anyone know which restaurant will occupy this space on Douglas St.?

I hear it's becoming a day care. 

#6637 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 05:25 PM

Ah geez. But that’s better than sitting empty, I guess.

Know it all.

#6638 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:25 PM

Horrible location for a daycare!?!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6639 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:25 PM

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:33 PM

You can say that again (but perhaps you shouldn't). 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users