Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#6721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 01:51 PM

Closing for several weeks certainly won’t help with retention of their FOH staff, surely.

Usually a place might just scale back hours first.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6722 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 01:51 PM

Double post.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2022 - 01:51 PM.

#6723 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:05 PM

Closing for several weeks certainly won’t help with retention of their FOH staff, surely.

Usually a place might just scale back hours first.

They actually have scaled back hours; for the past month they have only been open 4-9 pm Tuesday through Saturday.

From what I can tell, they generate a good business even during the evening hours; they just can't find enough staff.

#6724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:10 PM

Crazy.

#6725 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:43 PM

They actually have scaled back hours; for the past month they have only been open 4-9 pm Tuesday through Saturday.

From what I can tell, they generate a good business even during the evening hours; they just can't find enough staff.

Now that the Royals are out of the hunt, the timing for a temp closure kind of makes sense I guess...  They might wait for the Harbour Cats to get going though not sure if they get much of a crowd from those fans.

#6726 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:47 PM

Only 2 or 3 arena events in May. So timing might be right.

James Taylor
Stars on Ice
Avril Lavigne

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2022 - 02:48 PM.

#6727 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:39 PM

I’m temporarily short this week so we’ve dropped breakfast but kept the cafe going like normal, couple complaints but what can you do? Revenue is virtually the same. Not too bad!

Eta the five new windows we ordered four months ago arrived this week, so we are taking advantage of the dining room being closed until noon to replace them, massive improvement over the old ones, and new windows in the bakery too!

Edited by Matt R., 28 April 2022 - 10:39 PM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#6728 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:05 AM

Any idea what has been up with Johnny Rocket’s at the Bay Centre? Did the company go under? I went by there today and it looked vacant. Signage is still up, but someone told me they haven’t opened the last few days. Anybody know if the Hillside location is still open?

#6729 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 03:12 AM

Any idea what has been up with Johnny Rocket’s at the Bay Centre? Did the company go under? I went by there today and it looked vacant. Signage is still up, but someone told me they haven’t opened the last few days. Anybody know if the Hillside location is still open?

The burger chain was acquired by RedZone Capital in 2007, with the investment firm announcing plans to expand the chain's footprint. After just six years of ownership, however, RedZone sold the brand off in 2013 to Sun Capital Partners. That partnership was, similarly, short-lived, and Sun Capital passed Johnny Rockets off to FAT Brands by 2020.

During its tenures at Sun Capital, Johnny Rockets struggled to maintain its U.S. footprint, and between 2015 and 2019, it lost 45 locations. A 2021 estimate puts the Johnny Rockets store count at just 147.

https://www.eatthis....-are-shrinking/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 April 2022 - 03:12 AM.

#6730 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 04:23 AM

When talking with my neighbours there seems to be a general agreement that we are avoiding downtown Victoria as much as possible these days. Its not Covid, the problem is actually what downtown feels like these days. 

• phx likes this

#6731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 01:19 PM

I Kyu Noodle Restaurant is an Asian-styled restaurant featuring classic cuisine from China, Japan and Korea. Opened over 10 years ago, this restaurant has built a very loyal client base. Located on the main street in Canada's oldest Chinatown, the premises is approx. 940 sq ft. & is licensed for a seating capacity of 50. Upstairs there is additional office/storage area ( approx. 150 sq. ft.) & 3 washrooms (his, hers & staff).

$188,000

564 Fisgard St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

901808_1.jpg

#6732 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

Superb Location!! Close To Uvic, Camosun, and residential Areas Of Shelbourne And Cedar Hill. This unique business combines a thriving restaurant that serves Poke, noodles, and bubble tea with a multi-purpose karaoke/game room. Boasts a spacious 1,500 sqft of space with 3 booths, pool table, and 4 game rooms for Karaoke and games, but you can configure the large area any way you want. Don't miss this opportunity as a business listing in this bustling area doesn't come on the market often!! 

902172_1.jpg

$220,000

1551 Cedar Hill Crossing < < wft

https://www.realtor....anich-mt-tolmie

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2022 - 02:23 PM.

#6733 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 07:22 AM

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but 900 Degrees is opening a location in Sidney where the Woodshed restaurant used to be located on Beacon Ave.

Also: the former Boston Pizza restaurant on Blanshard has been leased; does anyone know what will be opening there ?

#6734 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,470 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:12 AM

It’s a food operator. More coming soon!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:16 AM

I’m rooting for a Pizza Hut revival.

#6736 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:22 AM

Fuddruckers!

• Matt R. and FogPub like this

#6737 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:25 AM

Also: the former Boston Pizza restaurant on Blanshard has been leased; does anyone know what will be opening there ?

Is this where MeeT is going? I've seen a bunch of job postings for MeeT on Blanshard lately - googled them and the former BP is the address that came up.

I'm pretty excited to try them - have heard nothing but amazing things about their Vancouver locations, and a Victoria location has been rumoured for years. But also surprised, I thought they'd go somewhere downtown in a more walkable area.

#6738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:30 AM

meeT website:

https://eatmeet.ca/

#6739 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:58 AM

They lost me at ORGANIC STEAMED KALE

I suspect they are a bit too woke for my taste.

OUR FOUNDING PRINCIPLES

From our inception, MeeT has been built on the foundation of equality, acceptance, and compassion towards ALL sentient beings. We are steadfast and committed to being an inclusive environment and safe space for staff and customers alike.

We have always had a zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and are committed in supporting all marginalized peoples, BIPOC, Women, and the LGBTQ+ communities. This has been embodied in how we have operated since we opened. It is clear now we have an opportunity to do more.

New Initiatives Under Development
  • Developing a new program to help fund marginalized peoples’ business ventures in the plant based/vegan community.
  • Re-Implementing racial sensitivity training for management and staff.
  • Developing a thorough bias training program for our managers and staff.
  • Reviewing our hiring processes now and regularly to ensure we are unbiased and open.
  • Looking into BIPOC owned suppliers to partner with to create long term growth opportunities. This will include food related collaborations for our weekly features program and long term menu opportunities

I don't really require a side of social justice with my burger.

• mbjj and Barrrister like this

#6740 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 09:03 AM

I don't really require a side of social justice with my burger.

Doesn't look like they serve burgers that most people would call burgers.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users