Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#6881 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:40 AM

I miss the original food delivery co here in Victoria. They couldn't make a go of it when Skip etc came to town. We used them alot when building our own business when there was not enough hours left in the day to make food. They also were kind of neighbhours.

Dine In?

#6882 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:27 AM

Dine In?

Yes, that was it.

Always felt so decadent when we did use them. Now it seems people don't think twice about ordering in from McDs!

#6883 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:02 PM

Restaurants allege Victoria food delivery service owes thousands in unpaid bills

Aug. 11, 2022

Local restaurants and businesses are raising concerns about Tutti, a Victoria-based food delivery service, alleging the company is not paying restaurants or drivers that have signed up for its services.

Tutti launched in Victoria in 2017 and markets itself as a local alternative to larger services like SkipTheDishes or DoorDash.

“When you always root for the underdog, every so often you end up getting bit. Their technology sucked, there were glitches in the system, the customer experience was annoying, but we stuck with them anyway,” Cold Comfort Ice Cream said in a Facebook post. “My business is still owed over $4,000 for ice cream we produced and they delivered and collected for.”

Maxwell  (Cold Comfort) says she has heard from drivers who say they also haven’t been recently paid from Tutti, and many other restaurants are raising concerns in a closed Facebook group.

One company that has taken the next step is J&J Wonton Noodle House, which filed a notice of civil claim in the B.C. Supreme Court on June 16.

Court documents obtained by CHEK News allege the restaurant is owed $220,775.81 from missed payments starting April 2021.

Tutti has not responded to the notice of claim, which the court sets a deadline of 21 days to respond to a civil claim. CHEK News has reached out to Tutti for comment, but has not received a response.

Both Leir and Maxwell say they are coming forward in hopes to get the word out to any restaurants or businesses that aren’t part of the Facebook group, so that they can know what’s going on with Tutti.

#6884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:12 PM

$220k from one obscure noodle place? Has to be more to that.

#6885 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:16 PM

DVBA:

From March 31 until April 19, customers who use the Tutti delivery app will not have to pay a delivery fee. Meanwhile, the DVBA says it will be covering restaurants' usual 10 to 15 per cent service charge.
Restaurants that are participating in the temporary program can be found under the "DVBA Free Delivery" section of the Tutti delivery app.
"The latest health restrictions have had a significant impact on the food and beverage sector," said Jeff Bray, executive director of the DVBA in a release Wednesday.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6886 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:38 PM

J and J probably does a couple million a year. $220 in takeout over two years isn’t unreasonable. Why they’d let it go that long is another story. It’s hardly obscure.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:55 PM

But just for Tutti? You’d think if Tutti had $200k, what did Skip have? A million?

Anyways, lots of food delivery in a climate crisis, housing crisis, affordability crisis, etc.
  • aastra and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6888 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

...lots of food delivery in a climate crisis, housing crisis, affordability crisis, etc.

No one can cook for themselves anymore due to all the crises.

• aastra and Barrrister like this

#6889 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:03 PM

If Tutti stiffed J & J out of $200k, I wonder how much they zinged other operators out of?
  • Barrrister likes this

#6890 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:41 PM

But just for Tutti? You’d think if Tutti had $200k, what did Skip have? A million?

Anyways, lots of food delivery in a climate crisis, housing crisis, affordability crisis, etc.

Who knows. Did they use std or dd or focus on tutti? The last two years takeout was insane. It’s certainly possible more than half JJ’s sales were takeout or delivery. They must do a strong takeout game under normal circumstances. I know what we do in takeout and I know JJ is bigger than we are.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#6891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:45 PM

I know it the bill hit $15,000 I’d be asking for more frequent payments.

Which can be done these days.

Heck, there are apps to pay your kitchen and FOH staff daily, for hopes of retention.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2022 - 04:45 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6892 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:18 PM

I'm reading this while trying out DoorDash...  :muching_out:

• Mike K. and aastra like this

#6893 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:04 PM

According to Tutti's website, they actually built J & J Wonton Noodle House's website and ordering during the pandemic. J & J's website now has delivery orders link to DoorDash, but I imagine that prior to this all going south, their deliveries were exclusively with Tutti. If there was indeed that much integration it might help explain how their bills got so high without having an alternative in place. 

• Matt R. likes this

#6894 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:07 PM

Aha! Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6895 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 09:25 PM

My initial impression - DoorDash has a broader access to restaurants. But the web interface is horrible. Much prefer Skip for useability.

#6896 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:12 AM

I don't know the backstory with Tutti but the broader discussion here is how Government intervention in private sector businesses usually backfires.

The Province capped delivery fees at the start of covid to earn themselves some votes. Did that cap turn the economic tables on Tutti and other smaller apps?

If the delivery fees were not reasonable given the service and marketing that went along with then restaurants would have retained their own delivery drivers. 

• aastra and Victoria Watcher like this

#6897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 04:22 AM

I don't know the backstory with Tutti but the broader discussion here is how Government intervention in private sector businesses usually backfires.

The Province capped delivery fees at the start of covid to earn themselves some votes. Did that cap turn the economic tables on Tutti and other smaller apps?

If the delivery fees were not reasonable given the service and marketing that went along with then restaurants would have retained their own delivery drivers. 

Yes, very true.  Even recently, the big companies were not making money.

Food-delivery companies did record-breaking business during the pandemic, as millions of homebound Americans embraced the idea of ordering dinner via smartphone apps. Their valuations skyrocketed. They acquired reams of data that helped increase their efficiency. There was just one problem: Even at the height of their success, they weren’t making any money.

Now, as the pandemic wanes, companies like DoorDash Inc., DASH -3.36% Uber Technologies Inc. UBER -1.71% and Grubhub are trying to address what could be a life-or-death question: How can they make the math work?

https://www.wsj.com/...ney-11622194203

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 04:22 AM.

#6898 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 05:11 AM

Must admit I also think that for the drivers. Does the math work? They almost always show up a in fairly current model vehicle. I tip very generously to make it worth their while. But still think they can't be making that much. Seems to me a regular job would pay more.

#6899 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 05:14 AM

Must admit I also think that for the drivers. Does the math work? They almost always show up a in fairly current model vehicle. I tip very generously to make it worth their while. But still think they can't be making that much. Seems to me a regular job would pay more.

It's pretty easy though, right?  When you are not working, you are still in the relative comfort of your car, you can do other things, on your phone/tablet.  You need not be particularly social, you need not have a full grasp of English.  It's not dirty, or repetitive, or physically or mentally taxing.  Low skill requirement.

If you worked as an employee of a pizza delivery place, you'd likely be doing prep. or cleaning etc. between calls.

I also think the tips might be alright. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 August 2022 - 05:16 AM.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#6900 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:33 AM

I think the money is good, well beyond what a retail job might pay. Tips add up!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Fox