• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#6981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,853 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:55 AM

Alcohol sales limited due to strike action at BC Liquor distribution centres

BC's Alliance of Beverage Licensees says as of Friday 9 a.m., there is a limit on the quantity of alcohol that pubs, bars, restaurants, and members of the general public can buy in one transaction.

The group says it has been informed by the province that it is rationing alcohol because of the BCGEU strike that began Monday afternoon at distribution centres.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2022 - 09:56 AM.

#6982 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:02 AM

It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be REDUCED to twenty grams a week.

#6983 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:36 PM

Well, it’s got a good location, some would say. If it has a good lease, that can be worth some of the $80,000 right there. Based on the photos I’d guess it’s underperforming now.

Again with the lease, go to the landlord first. This is someone who wants out of their lease / can't pay their lease. They are not Zellers.

And that restaurant location has changed hands many times recently...thus my comment "not again"...which also means no little value to the business. But there is a huge pile of kitchen stuff there already set up, so yes that has value. But not my perview so can't say what it is worth.

#6984 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 04:28 AM

Restaurant body tries to help businesses’ get money from delivery service

* Times Colonist
* 20 Aug 2022

The B.C. Restaurant and Foodservices Association is collecting information about Tutti, a food delivery service which local restaurateurs say owes them money, with the idea of helping out small businesses.

Ian Tostenson, association chief executive, said food outlets affected should contact the organization. The idea is to see if they can act as one voice to recover funds, as opposed to small businesses trying to do it individually.

Once losses are identified, the association plans to speak with a lawyer to see what can be done, Tostenson said Friday. Businesses should send an email to: info@bcrfa.com .

Efforts to contact Tuttie have been unsuccessful, Tostenson said.

He said he has heard of restaurants owed between $4,000 and $6,000. J & J Wonton Noodle House has filed a claim in B.C. Supreme Court saying it is owed $220,000.

Tutti’s website is online, indicating it is operating. It says it serves Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Squamish, Maple Ridge, Chilliwack, Kamloops and Kelowna. Tutti is part of Kavl Technology Ltd. Its chief executive Kaisa Aierken, who has a Vancouver address, could not be reached.

More: https://digitaltimes...81582359424747 

#6985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,853 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:04 AM

The owner of Finn’s Seafood Chops and Cocktails restaurant on Wharf Street is “feeling sick” about the province’s decision to impose liquor rationing in government-owned stores as it reacts to job action at distribution warehouses.

David Cooper said Friday that the same level of rationing applies to a 12-seat cafe as to his 350-seat downtown restaurant.

“I just can’t for the life of me ­understand what they were thinking.”

https://www.timescol...tioning-5720566

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2022 - 05:04 AM.

#6986 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,853 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

On this edition of Order Up with CHEK’s Joe Perkins, we’re taking a trip to Victoria’s historic Chinatown to experience some BBQ Pork Buns at Wah Lai Yuen Bakery + Restaurant.

https://www.cheknews...i-yuen-1078525/

35 years!
  • Nparker likes this

#6987 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 10:19 AM

The owner of Finn’s Seafood Chops and Cocktails restaurant on Wharf Street is “feeling sick” about the province’s decision to impose liquor rationing in government-owned stores as it reacts to job action at distribution warehouses.

David Cooper said Friday that the same level of rationing applies to a 12-seat cafe as to his 350-seat downtown restaurant.

“I just can’t for the life of me ­understand what they were thinking.”

https://www.timescol...tioning-5720566

What has he been doing up till yesterday. Would’ve thought they would’ve already been to the liquor store

Edited by todd, 20 August 2022 - 10:20 AM.

#6988 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 10:27 AM

...“I just can’t for the life of me ­understand what they were thinking.”...

I've been asking the same thing myself about the current BC government for the past 5 years.

#6989 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,853 posts

Posted 21 August 2022 - 03:36 AM

Swiss Chalet's last restaurant in B.C. closing this weekend

https://www.timescol...-closes-5718590

#6990 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:31 AM

Alcohol sales limited due to strike action at BC Liquor distribution centres

BC's Alliance of Beverage Licensees says as of Friday 9 a.m., there is a limit on the quantity of alcohol that pubs, bars, restaurants, and members of the general public can buy in one transaction.

The group says it has been informed by the province that it is rationing alcohol because of the BCGEU strike that began Monday afternoon at distribution centres.

Hard to understand BCGEU's logic here.

If they want to get taxpayer sympathy behind their 10.99% wage increase request, why target their liquor?

As a taxpayer, I certainly would be reluctant to support a much larger wage increase than I'm receiving in the private sector. This isn't helping earn that trust.

Edited by vortoozo, 22 August 2022 - 11:33 AM.

#6991 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,853 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:36 AM

Isn’t it simply the most pain for the public, with least pain for strikers? Those strikers lose at least some wages.

If I was the employer I might consider “targeted” lockouts. Ie. Liquor retail workers.

Of course if I was the government I’d abolish public sector unions. Or at least make membership optional for each employee to decide on their own whether they want to join or not.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2022 - 11:41 AM.

#6992 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:45 AM

I have been told that the ldb distribution is probably the least 'essential' group covered under this bargaining unit, and the LDB generates about a billion in profit for the province annually, so while this may be a disruption to some (like me), it's the most bang for the buck for the union.  Least amount of disruption to the public, biggest possible financial hit to the employer.

These folks are long overdue a decent raise.

https://www2.gov.bc....3jJ4c8RJrHmJDO0

#6993 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:56 AM

I have been told that the ldb distribution is probably the least 'essential' group covered under this bargaining unit, and the LDB generates about a billion in profit for the province annually, so while this may be a disruption to some (like me), it's the most bang for the buck for the union.  Least amount of disruption to the public, biggest possible financial hit to the employer.

These folks are long overdue a decent raise.

https://www2.gov.bc....3jJ4c8RJrHmJDO0

Looks like they've received about 2% a year since 2017, which is higher than their historical average. In 2019 they got almost 4%.

Not sure I would consider this "long overdue for a decent raise".

#6994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:00 PM

Long overdue?

Starting at a hypothetical $20/hour in January of 2012, that same wage to April 2021 as per the linked chart is $23.78, no? That’s a 19% difference.

Inflation between 2012 and 2021 equals $23.42. Meaning the wages, to April 2021, are 36 cents ahead of national inflation.

In 2022 we are -all- feeling the pinch.
  • vortoozo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6995 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:02 PM

Looks like they've received about 2% a year since 2017, which is higher than their historical average. In 2019 they got almost 4%.

Not sure I would consider this "long overdue for a decent raise".

2% per isn't very good, and certainly not enough these days.

#6996 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:03 PM

Long overdue?

Starting at a hypothetical $20/hour in January of 2012, that same wage to April 2021 as per the linked chart is $23.78, no? That’s a 19% difference.

Inflation between 2012 and 2021 equals $23.42. Meaning the wages, to April 2021, are 36 cents ahead of inflation.

In 2022 we are -all- feeling the pinch. But where’s the under-pay, if it’s actually landing at above inflation?

So ask your boss for a raise.

• Nparker likes this

#6997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,853 posts

Least amount of disruption to the public, biggest possible financial hit to the employer.

Wouldn't the mines ministry or environmental services or park rangers be less disruptive to the public?

#6998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Maybe government should lower taxes equal to the amount inflation has soared? Spend a little, save a lot…
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:04 PM

So ask your boss for a raise.

Why?

Know it all.

#7000 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:09 PM

Or don't, it doesn't matter to me, but if you are feeling the pinch there are things you can do of course.  Make more money, tighten your belt, combination of the two...

I'm all for gov reducing their overhead, but this union is too strong and I think they are pretty committed.

Wouldn't the mines ministry or environmental services or park rangers be less disruptive to the public?

Less impact on the government.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users