Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#7061 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 03:06 AM

Restaurants across Canada say they will have raised their menu prices by more than seven per cent by the end of the year in a bid to keep profits sustainable and offset the rising cost of food.

Some restaurants are raising them even more.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rease-1.6584574

In its annual report, Foodservices Facts, Restaurants Canada says menu prices at full-service restaurants are set to increase by about 7.8 per cent by the end of 2022.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 September 2022 - 03:06 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7062 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:24 AM

I just gave a Skip driver $10 for carrying up an order 2 flights of stairs. Because I no longer had fives. I live, most of the time, in one of those ridiculously big old houses in Oak Bay. That would have been rooming houses as we discussed in another thread. I find most drivers just get to our multi-door and try to dump and go. If I get a chance, I ask if they will come to the top of the stairs. But those few who are willing to climb those stairs get rewarded.

I had already tipped in the app. But I did that because I can. I'm no longer looking at boarding rooms. But I'm sad that is no longer a housing option for people wanting to come here. And I was 30 when I came here, not a kid. I started over. I had come from a 2 bedroom house in Niagara to a studio apt. That was some adjusting! 

• Nparker likes this

#7063 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 11:36 AM

I just gave a Skip driver $10 for carrying up an order 2 flights of stairs. Because I no longer had fives. I live, most of the time, in one of those ridiculously big old houses in Oak Bay. That would have been rooming houses as we discussed in another thread. I find most drivers just get to our multi-door and try to dump and go. If I get a chance, I ask if they will come to the top of the stairs. But those few who are willing to climb those stairs get rewarded.

I had already tipped in the app. But I did that because I can. I'm no longer looking at boarding rooms. But I'm sad that is no longer a housing option for people wanting to come here. And I was 30 when I came here, not a kid. I started over. I had come from a 2 bedroom house in Niagara to a studio apt. That was some adjusting! 

I forgot to mention the cat who came with me. She was incredibly pissed when we moved across the country from a 2 bedroom house with a basement to a studio. She bounced around the 4 walls of that studio and looked at me - you drove me across the country for this? I made it up to her within a year and got us a suite in a house where she could go outside.

• Mike K., Nparker, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#7064 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:17 AM

Good Morning Vibrant Victorians

Our latest Table Nine Podcast is out for your listening pleasure and this show we are joined by PIG founder Jeff Hetherington who now helps local restaurateurs keep their eyes on the prize. Jeff also volunteers for the Bread and Butter Collective which was formed by people in the F&B biz to help fellow entrepreneurs strive to thrive. Enjoy the show https://www.buzzspro...sodes/11319737 

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#7065 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 02:32 PM

Since I seem to be the resident cranky no fun person recently I will continue and relate my experience with a local trendy some what high end restaurant. 

I booked dinner for a special bday and on their reservation app there was space for comments and requests. So I commented that this was a special bday dinner and do they do anything for that? I got back the crisp comment that they do not give anything complimentary for special occasions. I replied I was not at all expecting that - anything free. This was their chance to say we could do this special desert for this price. Or just to say they might have a card on the table that wished the birthday person well. Or even some cheesy candles they could stick in a regular desert that we ordered and paid for. After all, with food and wine we will be looking at $100 - $200. They couldn't think of something that was some what low cost to acknowledge a special occasion? They persisted in their replies that they were not prepared to do anything. My previous experience with more expensive places is they immediately ask you is this a special occasion because they know that most people can't go there very often. And they will do something to acknowledge it.

I then went to Boom and Batten's web site. They have a drop down menu that asks if this is a special occasion and if so, what kind. That is where the dinner is now booked. Just hoping a huge yacht is not there that night. FYI they actually have quite a bit on their web site that says they cannot guarantee what table you will get or that or a big yacht will not be blocking your view.

• Nparker likes this

#7066 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 September 2022 - 07:36 PM

You voted with your wallet. That’s the thing to do.
  • Redd42 likes this

#7067 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:00 PM

Free dessert with a candle in it is the bare minimum. Come on.
  • Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#7068 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:25 AM

All they really needed to do was in their first message, thank us for choosing to share our special occasion with them. And perhaps when we arrived, doing that again. That is all. Cost - zero. Anything else would have been bonus.

I get messages every day from people, asking if I will buy their item or them inquiring about what I have for sale. My first line is always "Thank you for your inquiry".

What a lot of restaurants don't get is it is not about being fed. I can easily do that myself very inexpensively. Going to an expensive restaurant is all about the experience. I have a bunch of memories of going out for a high end meal, being brought our food, then the staff forgetting that we exist and talking loudly amongst themselves at the bar, feet from where we are eating. 

#7069 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:54 AM

When I had a store, I told my employees that when a customer came in, that space was now the customers. We shut the f* up. We don't talk amongst ourselves. Acknowledge the customer right away. But also let them browse if that is what they want to do. Not ever body wants to engage right away. And because we were also a work shop, we stopped doing anything that was particularly loud.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7070 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:28 AM

Yep. Many business people don’t understand what business they are in. I used my winnings from a competition I won to buy my gf and friend a meal out at “West” in Vancouver. The food was unbelievable. It’s the service that made it more memorable. At one point I went to the bathroom and when I returned my place was remade and pristine. My gf got quite drunk (it was a tasters menu and she had to keep pace). Our waiter handled her with grace and humour. The waiter was somehow always there when needed but never there when not. Everything about the experience was top notch. Probably never have a meal out like that again.

Edited by dasmo, 25 September 2022 - 06:42 AM.

• Mike K., Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

#7071 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:34 AM

What a lot of restaurants don't get is it is not about being fed. I can easily do that myself very inexpensively. Going to an expensive restaurant is all about the experience. I have a bunch of memories of going out for a high end meal, being brought our food, then the staff forgetting that we exist and talking loudly amongst themselves at the bar, feet from where we are eating

This is my pet peeve.   I can't understand why some places can avoid this very well (Empress Hotel, or even Cactus Club) but some seem completely oblivious to it (Sticky Wicket, Browns).

#7072 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:52 AM

The previous Empress was so good at this. I have two very good memories - one an anniversary, another Xmas eve.

So partner and I have gone out for Xmas dinner for many years. 2 old boomers with no kids. We have learned actually going out on Xmas day is not a good idea, switched to Xmas eve, and now even earlier. Stay tuned for a story about that.

We had a lovely meal in the old Empress dining room. At the end of our of our meal, trying to counter act the wine with our meal, we asked for decaf coffee with desert. We told the wait person we really enjoyed the coffee. He came back with a package of that coffee. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7073 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:13 AM

So continuing with the bad high end restaurant stories, we booked ourselves at the Butchart restaurant a couple of years ago about a week before Xmas for our "Xmas dinner". Had booked weeks before. When we get there they proceeded to try to sit us at what I would call the "kids table". There is a back area which I think used to be a front porch? And it was already packed. Mean while the main dining room in the front was almost completely empty. I let it be known we were not happy with this and were actually told they were keeping the the tables in the front in case tourists wanted to come in. They relented and let us sit there. No one else came in while were there . We did really enjoy our meal but as you can guess we haven't been back.

#7074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 08:12 AM

The previous Empress was so good at this. I have two very good memories - one an anniversary, another Xmas eve.

So partner and I have gone out for Xmas dinner for many years. 2 old boomers with no kids. We have learned actually going out on Xmas day is not a good idea, switched to Xmas eve, and now even earlier. Stay tuned for a story about that.

We had a lovely meal in the old Empress dining room. At the end of our of our meal, trying to counter act the wine with our meal, we asked for decaf coffee with desert. We told the wait person we really enjoyed the coffee. He came back with a package of that coffee.

Yes, the formal restaurant was superb. The service was above and beyond.
  • Redd42 and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7075 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:00 AM

Yep. Many business people don’t understand what business they are in. I used my winnings from a competition I won to buy my gf and friend a meal out at “West” in Vancouver. The food was unbelievable. It’s the service that made it more memorable. At one point I went to the bathroom and when I returned my place was remade and pristine. My gf got quite drunk (it was a tasters menu and she had to keep pace). Our waiter handled her with grace and humour. The waiter was somehow always there when needed but never there when not. Everything about the experience was top notch. Probably never have a meal out like that again.

Your waiter was a true professional. And understood the business they were in. Glad to hear you had such a great experience considering the cash you were likely laying out. 

#7076 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:33 AM

Not a restaurant, but our hotel in Barcelona. We arrived at the cruise ship terminal and disembarked about 7:45. Waited outside for our pre-arranged ride, never showed up. At 8:15 one of the workers called the hotel for us and then gave us his phone to converse with the hotel. I asked where our ride was, and they put me on hold and came back and said that I hadn't confirmed the booking, could I take a taxi. I was a little pissed, but we took a taxi and got to the hotel at about 8:30. They came out and met us on the curb, and paid the taxi fare and apologized profusely, and they could see that it was their oversight that caused the problem. They then offered a choice of two rooms, both of which were ready for us at that early hour. We took one room then headed out for the morning. When we came back for lunch, there was a gift waiting for us and a formal letter of apology. That is people that know customer service.

• Nparker, Redd42 and Barrrister like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7077 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:59 PM

Not a restaurant, but our hotel in Barcelona. We arrived at the cruise ship terminal and disembarked about 7:45. Waited outside for our pre-arranged ride, never showed up. At 8:15 one of the workers called the hotel for us and then gave us his phone to converse with the hotel. I asked where our ride was, and they put me on hold and came back and said that I hadn't confirmed the booking, could I take a taxi. I was a little pissed, but we took a taxi and got to the hotel at about 8:30. They came out and met us on the curb, and paid the taxi fare and apologized profusely, and they could see that it was their oversight that caused the problem. They then offered a choice of two rooms, both of which were ready for us at that early hour. We took one room then headed out for the morning. When we came back for lunch, there was a gift waiting for us and a formal letter of apology. That is people that know customer service.

Had a similar thing happen in New Orleans. As all of us know in Victoria, it is a good long haul of a day (or more) to get any where east of here. Though I had found the hotel on line, I called before we left to confirm they had our reservation. They said yes, we have it. We show up at 11:30 pm their time, after 2 plane changes and a taxi drive, exhausted from travelling, to be told there is no room. I'm very good at going ballistic in these situations.  It was a few more minutes until dude at desk said actually we can give you a suite at our sister property, taxi you there for free and taxi you back tomorrow. That suite was wonderful - a chance to experience how the 1% live. We didn't mind having to move back to the more basic accommodation we booked. But I still complained to the hotel - why did I have to go ballistic for you to do this? They then left a bunch of cheesy New Orleans tourist swag in our room but more importantly an actual personal note that said they could of handled us arriving to no room better.

#7078 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:55 PM

Yes the second after dude said we don't have your booked room should have been the response we have this suite we will send you to. I would have been ok, that is a bit of inconvenience since we have to change rooms but hey we get this fancy suite for regular hotel room price and a place we really need to sleep.

It shouldn't have taken me going ballistic for this to happen. That is what I complained to the hotel about. What did they think 2 exhausted Canadians who expected the hotel they booked, and I checked just a few days before were going to do at 11:30 pm?

#7079 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:54 AM

^Dumb question maybe, but at any point had you advised the hotel you were going to be arriving that late at night, and-or updated your ETA if you were delayed?

Some (many?) hotels have a policy that if you're not checked in by a certain time your reservation is cancelled and the room is open for walk-ins.  I ran into this some years back - the hotel had a 10 p.m. check-in cutoff time, after which the reservation would be cancelled - prepaid in full, mind you, with no refund; due to a deal I'd got on it.  My flight plus taxi wasn't going to get me there until 11 p.m. or so; I told the hotel this up front well in advance, they said no problem.

The plane didn't land until 2:30 a.m. local time (thanks, Air Canada!); by which time I'd called the hotel about five times with updates on my ETA.  Again no problem, and a great week followed.

But had I not kept them advised, it's ironclad I'd have been out the reservation, the room, and a big whack o' cash.  And stuck in a very full city looking for a hotel at 3 a.m.

#7080 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:21 PM

I’ve never understood the obsession some people have to get something for free. If you want a dessert to mark the special occasion, pay for it.

I also never understand how some people can “go ballistic” on a minimum wage service employee. How embarrassing.
  • Matt R., kayla, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users