Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#7401 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 07:52 PM

I wish more chicken restaurants had punny names… maybe the paucity of these monikers is due to proprietors fears of getting roasted in response?

#7402 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:18 PM

I imagine it's a poultry few with that worry.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#7403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:19 PM

Too chicken to try something new, maybe.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7404 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 09:15 PM

Why are less and less restaurants doing it?

It’s been going for 20 or 30 years, I’ve never seen so few participants as this year.

Oak Bay Marina and Oak Bay Beach neither doing it.

The marina is doing it this year as is the OBBH, and it’s the most restaurants in the 30 year history of the event so I don’t know what you are referring to.

House of Boateng is doing it, that’s in the west shore. Six Mile is the west shore I think? Bear Mountain? Not sure what shore that is on.

Edited by Matt R., 18 January 2023 - 09:18 PM.

#7405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:39 PM

‘We can kill people’: Victoria chef says staff shortages can have deadly consequences

Chef also details how Victoria restaurants are ‘poaching’ from each other

https://www.vicnews....y-consequences/

“Let me preface this by saying there are a lot of very good chefs and cooks in Victoria,” the chef wrote. “There is real talent and innovation here, the locavore movement in the South Island is inspiring. But. Most of the line cooks in this town have no formal education and all they know is what they have learned from these desperate chefs. They don’t understand basic cooking principles or even basic terms. Many know how to sous vide but have no idea what braising is, or even why we use different cooking methods. They think of themselves as artists when what I am looking for is precision and consistency. They have no formal training so don’t understand that mistakes in our industry can kill people. Not hyperbole, we can kill people.”

“Managers start to burn out and become desperate jut to have a body on the line who can operate a deep fryer or toss a salad,” the chef wrote. “Desperation leads to poaching. I had to remove the phone from my kitchen as unscrupulous chefs would cold call and offer a job to anyone who answered the phone.”

Ya, OK.

If nothing else, this new BP reporter writes some funny stuff.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 January 2023 - 04:42 PM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#7406 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:48 PM

#hungryforhyperbole

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:29 PM

Diner to bring terrible service to Victoria

Karen’s Diner will be making its way to B.C.’s capital this spring

https://www.vicnews....ce-to-victoria/

I like the concept.

$45 for a burger, fries and soda.

https://explorehidde...ictoria-1557181

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2023 - 01:33 PM.

#7408 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 01:59 PM

Meh. The commissary at VV headquarters sets the bar pretty high.

#7409 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 06:00 PM

Good Ovening, an oven-roasted chicken restaurant, will be opening at the site of the former Aegean Cafe at the corner of Fort and Blanshard

New Victoria restaurant bucks fried chicken ‘mania’ with oven roasting

Good Ovening takes over space in downtown Victoria

https://www.vicnews....-oven-roasting/

#7410 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:56 PM

Grumpy Taxpayers:

A year ago 10 Acres Farm and Restaurant Group started adding a 2 per cent charge for food and beverage on every bill. Calling it the EHB (Employee Health Benefits), it was enacted to cover government-imposed health and employee benefits.

Down the road at Belleville’s Diner, they are charging nine per cent on the food and beverages bill for what they call the ‘BCH’ to cover the new provincial employer health tax, and now paid sick and injury leave.

At Big Wheel Burger the restaurant automatically adds a surcharge in the form of a donation to the cost of your meal. Compulsory donations of 1.5 per cent are matched by the company and go to five various poverty related charities.

Fees must be disclosed to customers before they order and be posted on menus, according to the province.

#7411 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:02 PM

Why not just raise menu prices like every other restaurant?"

#7412 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:04 PM

The same reason no retailer or service provider shows prices “tax in”. It’s more lucrative to hide any charges. Even ones you make up. Entities do it with “fuel surcharges” too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2023 - 05:06 PM.

#7413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:06 PM

Seeing these extra fees, just makes me want to dine elsewhere. I'm not sure it's a winning strategy.
  • Barrrister likes this

#7414 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:41 PM

Nine percent, lol.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 07:24 AM

An Asian fusion diner-pub has opened in the former Scott’s space in Yates, called Victoria Pocha. After Scott’s a sewing place operated there, then King Sejong Korean food.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7416 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 07:26 AM

An Asian fusion diner-pub has opened in the former Scott’s space in Yates

Victoria Pocha—650 Yates St. 

Shrouded in online mystery, this Asian-fusion pub told Tasting Victoria it intends to open in late January, with a soft opening in a few weeks. Victoria Pocha will take over the small space on Yates Street, and will serve authentic Korean food with a fusion of flavours from China and Japan. Check out its soft opening between Jan. 26 and 28 from 6-8pm.

https://tastingvicto...-victoria-2023/

INSTAGRAM

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2023 - 07:28 AM.

#7417 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 02:46 PM

Nanaimo news:

“Downtown Nanaimo restaurant announces end to soup program due to safety concerns”

https://www.nanaimob...WQW48_hqssb_I2c

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing some similar, inspired by Mark Brand at Save on Meats in Vancouver, but too chicken to do it and we are not “in town” and don’t really need the extra stress. I see they charge for these tokens, yet have given away more bowls of soup than they sold tokens for, so I guess using a token was optional.

#7418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 09:11 AM

$249,000

103 1990 Fort St.

Welcome to ''Le Pho'', a Local Vietnamese restaurant in the Oak Bay.  High profile location next to higher density residential/commercial area. Good shopping including liquor, grocery, bank, medical. Oak Bay High School is just steps away! Minutes away from Jubilee hospital and Oak Bay Recreation Centre. Come make it your Destined restaurant today! Please do not approach staff and owner regarding sale of business.*

https://www.realtor....ctoria-fernwood

922680_11.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2023 - 09:13 AM.

#7419 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 12:33 PM

Wow. I’m sure it’s lovely, however, I may have chosen to omit a couple of those photos.
  • Nparker, Ismo07, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#7420 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 09:12 PM

Karen’s Diner will be making its way to B.C.’s capital this spring

https://www.vicnews....ce-to-victoria/

I like the concept.

$45 for a burger, fries and soda.

https://explorehidde...ictoria-1557181

It will be interesting to see if the virginal sensibilities of certain Victorians can take what these folks dish out - assuming they have a fraction of the ability of Vancouver's beloved Elbow Room cafe,which was doing this schtick 40 years ago.

Based on FB comments I saw last week re: "Karen's" it seems a lot of Victorians already have their dainty wee knickers in pseudo-outraged and miffed knots over the very idea.

Good thing for those folks they clearly never patronized the Elbow Room where original partner Patrick Savoie specialized for years, decades actually, in utterly verbally skewering customers, almost always to their delight and great amusement. That included me, after one memorable visit by us in the early 90's where he unleashed a lethal but side split-tingly funny verbal dagger that had our table in stitches throughout the meal. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users