Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

The former Tamami space will be reinvented as ulla - yes, that's lower case. Pronounced, ooh - la, the restaurant will be headed up by chef Brad Holmes and his partner Sahara, both with extensive Vancouver and Victoria restaurant experience.
The theme will be modern westcoast, using great local ingredients with balance of sea and land-based fare and some vegan and vegetarian options.
Hopefully opening sometime in June.

God damn it, when are we getting a Bonanza back? When they left, they said they would be back. I might write a strongly worded letter to corporate HQ and demand they fulfill their promise.

I mean really, how can this be beat?

http://en.wikipedia....house#Locations

Buffet

Buffets at the restaurants are typically divided into four different sections:

* Salad bar: Contains fruits, several premade salads, as well as an array of ingredients with which patrons can build their own salad.
* Hot food bar: Has a variety of side dishes such as green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and rice pilaf, as well as several entree items not included on the menu, such as fried chicken, grouper and meatloaf.
* Soup bar: Each restaurant offers several different soups to choose from, along with an assortment of crackers.
* Dessert bar: The dessert bar features all you can eat soft-serve ice cream with appropriate toppings, as well as desserts such as apple crisp, Jello and bread pudding.

1976 saw the addition of the Salad Bar to the steakhouses, then an easy-to-maintain and hugely lucrative draw to restaurant operations.

Prior to 1984, restaurants did not have the hot food bar; instead using a long salad bar referred to as "The World's Biggest, Best Salad Buffet", as advertised on TV personally by then-company-president Gerald Office. Then the company rolled out the "Hot Spot" soup and salad buffet, which for a short time facilitated the addition of a breakfast daypart, in selected locations.

Some "Bonanza" restaurants' salad bars were also notable in having a large wedge of cheddar cheese customers would slice pieces off.

#102 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

An organic waffle place is opening on the north side of Broad just west of Yates.

#103 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

when are we getting a Bonanza back?

I am having trouble remembering where the Bonanza was located and how long it was here?

#104 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

It was where the Christian book store now is at Blanshard & Finlayson.

There was also Uncle Willy's up at Saanich Plaza.

#105 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

^ Thanks Dylan, I guess I never went there.

#106 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I am having trouble remembering where the Bonanza was located and how long it was here?

My daughter worked there back in the early nineties, and food safe was not their strong suit.

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Seoul Restaurant (Fort. St.) is now in the process of turning into a Hawaiian cultured BBQ cuisine - a fusion of Asian foods that will have a greater menu selection.

This place is now closed. A note posted on the door claims the landlord is owed over $11,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

A tea place is opening on Fort connected to the Bay Center, where that gallery recently closed.

#109 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Does anyone know details about a martial arts/ yoga (?) place moving into the corner venue of the old B&E Grocery Store at the Fort and Cook St. corner? The place still looks like garbage, so I'm not sure who's going to sign up to work out there, but I'm probably again underestimating Victoria's proclivities... ;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#110 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

The old B-Red (even older Pizza Pieman) space on Tillicum is in my hood, and I really liked the product Brad was putting out while he was open. After B-Red closed the building fell into disrepair, but I see this week someone is breathing new life into it, the For Lease sign is gone, the broken window's been replaced and tonight coming hope from work I see there is a light on in the side kitchen and the property has been tidied up.

Not a great location for a high end bakery, but a casual lunch spot might do okay if they could figure out a way to put seats in!

Matt.

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

The diner at Paul's Motor Inn is now closed at 3pm every day but Friday and Saturday, when it's open until 10pm (it opens at 6am daily). Far cry from its 24-hour operation for 40+ (?) years....
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

Seoul Restaurant (Fort. St.) is now in the process of turning into a Hawaiian cultured BBQ cuisine - a fusion of Asian foods that will have a greater menu selection. This place is now closed. A note posted on the door claims the landlord is owed over $11,000.

This place is now closed. A note posted on the door claims the landlord is owed over $11,000.

An East Indian place has opened in this location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

Not sure how long it has been closed, not very long I think, but the Mexican place under the Revenue Canada building at Vancouver and Johnson has closed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

That's a surprise. I thought it would have done well with the CRA offices so close by.

Know it all.

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

I have a Christmas reception to go to this weekend at the new Baja Grill, lower Yates next to The Reef.

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Yesterday I had a chat with a server working at The Local (Wharf at Bastian Square). She claimed that this year's profit was up $300,000 over last year and that they felt business was good despite the economy and the HST.

I must admit I've only been there once before because it always struck me as a tourist place, but obviously plenty of locals must be going there considering this past year was not stellar for tourism dependent businesses.

Know it all.

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Yesterday I had a chat with a server working at The Local (Wharf at Bastian Square). She claimed that this year's profit was up $300,000 over last year and that they felt business was good despite the economy and the HST.

I must admit I've only been there once before because it always struck me as a tourist place, but obviously plenty of locals must be going there considering this past year was not stellar for tourism dependent businesses.

I think you mean sales were up $300k.

#118 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I think you mean sales were up $300k.

$300k in profits is unbelievable enough, let alone an increase to baseline profits by that margin. You're right, it's gotta be sales...

#119 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

The Pig Dog (View Street between Douglas and Blanshard) has closed; I'm not sure if the hot dog menu has migrated to the new Pig location at the Atrium...?

#120 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

I liked pig dog, but totally wrong season to open up a new place with almost no indoor seating.

I love Pig as well, but it's SO crowded at its new location I always pass it by for lunch and end up at Saigon Harbour every time I try to go.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users