• Please log in to reply
8797 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

I think you mean sales were up $300k.

I thought so too, but she said profits, but you're right, she must have meant sales.
  • Seatreesky likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

Pig Dog closed? That sucks. What we need is a good solid Hot Dog place like Papaya Dog in New York.
  • Nparker likes this

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

What we need is a good solid Hot Dog place like Papaya Dog in New York.

Or the ability to buy hotdogs from a cart-vendor in Beacon Hill like in Central Park, NYC. Not the best hotdog I ever had, but the most iconic. :P

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Where have all the Mr. Tubesteak's gone? Perhaps I'm not noticing them but they seem to have disappeared from late-night Victoria.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

^ I think the owner passed away in a motorcycle accident.

#126 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

Last night I saw the McDonalds on Pandora was closed at 8pm. What's up with that?

#127 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

Well, we are pleased to report that the VV gang was perhaps the last group to crash a party at the Polo Lounge (the CHEK 6 X-mas staff party).

Barkley's restaurant closes doors

Times Colonist January 7, 2011 6:22 AM

The lights have gone dark at one of Victoria's oldest restaurants as the Executive House Hotel has closed Barkleys Steakhouse and the adjoining Polo Lounge.

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1AMpoJZap

The businesses reverted back to the hotel about two years ago, after being run by the family that owns Fireside Grill.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

^ I still miss Hy's Steakhouse at that location. They would mix a flaming Caesar Salad at your table.

#129 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

It looks like Brannigans (at the Accent Inn) and The Pantry have both closed too.

#130 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Bistro Cache in Brentwood has closed as well. This last year has been brutal for restaurants, no question. Many of the smaller, higher end restaurants we all know and love have never seen a year like this last one.

Matt.

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

It looks like Brannigans (at the Accent Inn) and The Pantry have both closed too.

Wow.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Wow.

The Pantry has been struggling for awhile was closed for a few months a couple of years ago.

January is often a tough time for the restaurant industry and the shops in the malls, and they haven't even closed the bridge down, or started to rip up Douglas Street yet.

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Bistro Cache in Brentwood has closed as well.

This saddens me. I had several meals there over the past year and enjoyed them very much. BC was a place that really strived (and IMHO succeeded) to be stand out from the pack and I am sorry to hear they could not make a go of it. :(

#134 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

I think Brannigans and the Pantry were a victim of demographics as much as anything else. Have you seen anyone under the age of 40 dining there (who wasn't there under protest as part of grandma's birthday supper).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I think Brannigans and the Pantry were a victim of demographics as much as anything else. Have you seen anyone under the age of 40 dining there (who wasn't there under protest as part of grandma's birthday supper).

I think you might be right. How well does ABC Family Restaurant do? I think I've only been once, maybe 10 years ago.

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

How well does ABC Family Restaurant do? I think I've only been once, maybe 10 years ago.

Funny I was just there today and it was steady busy, with a very mixed demographic. And for a chain restaurant, I had a rather tasty Eggs Benedict, for under $10.

#137 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

ABC has a new menu, it's not bad... Still an older demographic but in a rush it's good and has decent parking

#138 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

The Pantry on Douglas is near where my wife works, and I've been for lunch on a few occasions and always found it to be pretty darn good. The key to places like this is not to order above the skill level of the restaurant. Stick to the burgers, sandwiches and breakfast and you should be good.

Matt.

#139 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Thank god they spent so much time holding up rapid transit.

Just a huge cultural generalization but I don't think young people go to these kinds of places anymore. I went to them as a young person in suburban Vancouver because that was the only option but in Victoria there are just so many better options.

#140 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Never ever heard of Brannigans or the Pantry.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users