Photo

Guerilla Gardening

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Found this on NPR, and had heard anecdotally seed balls (bombing open, undeveloped tracts of land) was becoming more popular in urban areas, especially in the US and GB.

All Things Considered, April 15, 2009 · Neighborhood organizations across the U.S. that want to improve the environment are using a surprising weapon: seed balls.

It's a technique for planting in abandoned places and often inhospitable land that was developed in Japan by Masanobu Fukuoka, a pioneer in "natural farming."

The technique has worked its way to Brooklyn, N.Y. In the Greenpoint neighborhood on a recent Sunday afternoon, a small group of activists walked the streets carrying paper bags filed with little balls made from clay, compost and seeds. They are members of a local group called NAG, or Neighbors Allied for Good Growth. They drop the balls on dirt piles and throw them into abandoned lots.

This could be part of the next VV walk!!

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Most of our abandoned lots don't seem to need any help becoming lovely little over-grown bogs or ponds.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

That's for sure. Their like mini grasslands now.

#4 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

I actually wondered if that had been done to the former Bambu lot on Fisgard a couple of years ago...

http://frugalvictoria.com "Living for less in the City of Gardens"

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

That's so bizarre that you brought this up, Mat. A friend gave me one of these "bombs" yesterday. Not sure where I want to throw mine. Perhaps the swamplands at the Concert office site?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

That's so bizarre that you brought this up, Mat. A friend gave me one of these "bombs" yesterday. Not sure where I want to throw mine. Perhaps the swamplands at the Concert office site?

...might as well launch 'er into The Hudson.

#7 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Let's make it a VV contest - 'Open Lot that needs Bombing Now!' - and make it part of the next VV meet?

I am secretly glad this tiny bit of social disorder has arrived in Victoria. Bombs away...

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

social disorder --- lol

As if the vacant land owners are going to mind getting free landscaping work.

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

I have planted veggies close to the sidewalk on Maddock, time to take over this useless grass space.......

#10 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

My vote for a guerrilla garden site is the lot south of View Towers, currently the location of very long grass. A few years ago some guerrilla gardeners indicated that they were going to plant a vegetable garden there, (to feed the poor) but nothing became of it.....
Pieta VanDyke

#11 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

I've often thought about being somewhat subversive and planting seeds of 'those' plants in all sorts of places all over the city. Outside the 700 - block Vernon Avenue is a prime location!:)

#12 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

I've often thought about being somewhat subversive and planting seeds of 'those' plants in all sorts of places all over the city. Outside the 700 - block Vernon Avenue is a prime location!:)

LOL - and ruin the perfect border planting that sets off the Saanich Municipal buildings so well?

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 03:32 PM

With spring right around the corner, a B.C. man is warning others about giant hogweed, a highly toxic plant that left him with temporary vision loss — and covered in massive, burning blisters.

Giant hogweed is an invasive, noxious weed and in B.C., found mostly in parts of the South Coast and Vancouver Island. It has been observed in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario and appears to be spreading, according to Nature Conservancy Canada.

"This is a hellish plant. It is as hellish as they come," said Don Pollack, who came into contact with hogweed in May 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...dness-1.6767704

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2023 - 03:32 PM.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 March 2023 - 06:22 PM

Way to resurrect dead threads man

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 05 March 2023 - 06:23 PM

I’m only one man.

Do you have anything more to add?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2023 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users