Photo

Newspapers going down even faster

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#1 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Here's a link to some interesting numbers from the ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation).
Pretty bad...
http://jammiewearing...n-crumbles.html

#2 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

ok, this is just weird.

National Post cancels Monday print editions for summer

TORONTO - The National Post newspaper is going without its Monday print editions for nine weeks this summer in a move that will lower its newsprint costs.
A spokeswoman for the paper, which is owned by debt-plagued Canwest Global Communications Corp. (TSX:CGS), said Wednesday that the company will still publish a digital edition, which mirrors the exact look of a newsprint version. However, it won't go to the presses for the summer, starting June 29.
Canwest spokeswoman Phyllise Gelfand said the announcement was made to employees of the Toronto-based newspaper Wednesday, and would appear in Thursday's print edition.
The plan will continue for nine consecutive Mondays this summer, she said.
Both the digital edition, and the website will continue to feature fresh news content.
Canwest has been grappling with its own debt problems, working to meet revised deadlines with creditors and sell non-core assets.

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:50 AM

i'll bet within 20 years newspapers won't exist, there will only be websites.
In chains by Keynes

#4 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

they said the same thing about computers eliminating the need for paper, that hasnt happened. Books are still around, and I suspect newspapers in local form will still be around long after the big papers disappear.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

Screw reading websites, or anything else, I just want to be able to plug a USB 511.0 stick into my head and just get all the new daily info in the world transferred right into my mind (and onto an external back-up drive in case my mind crashes).

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

This article by Kenneth Lerer is excellent: How We Got Here and How We Get Out of Here.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

UrbanRail, so you at least partially agree with me.

Screw reading websites, or anything else, I just want to be able to plug a USB 511.0 stick into my head and just get all the new daily info in the world transferred right into my mind (and onto an external back-up drive in case my mind crashes).

What do you mean "in case your mind crashes"!?!?! :D
In chains by Keynes

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

Management memo regarding outsourcing copy editors needs copy editing.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

Not sure what to say. The post is brilliant - blog at it's best. What it says about Canadian journalism, editing, professionalism...

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

Beautiful.
LOL
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Much of what we criticize reporters for are really the fault of editors and/or copy-editors (or the lack thereof).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

Brilliant - "weasel words" and "try not to split infinitives" are my favourites.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

While the editting of John Cruikshank's memo is humourous, the man is one of the best newspaper men in the country. He did much to revive the Globe and Mail in the early 1990s, a paper that before he took over which was a boring pointless mess.

He then came to Vancouver and took over the Vancouver Sun. It was during his time that the paper improved its focus on local issues and went through a significant redesign. In the early 1990s the Vancouver Sun was in freefall and directionless.

He is a man that will help the Star succeed. He will also make sure that there is a focus on good journalism. Some background on him

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

Very interesting story on Spark this week about a user created newspaper now available in German. You set-up your preferences from your favorite papers around the world and it is delivered to your door each day. You even get to name your paper!

Here brush up on your german:http://www.niiu.de/

#15 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

Interesting idea though it is only available to you if you are in Berlin, and you have to give them a real address in the city. I went through the registration process and the interface sucks. You also can not choose one or two papers, you have to choose about 8 to 10 and about 8-10 internet news sites. It is also not free. The cost is 30 Euro for 25 days - I do not see this lasting

The site is also missing several of the papers in Germany I would like to read, their selection is weak. Also, I can read all the papers I am interested online already, I am not sure what this site is offering that makes it worth anyone's time or money.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

B.C. loses newspaper recycling facilities

Newspapers collected through the blue box program in B.C. will soon be shipped to the United States or even as far as Asia for recycling, following the shutdown of two Catalyst Paper Corp. facilities.Demand for the company's recycled paper fell 30 per cent last year, and there is a similar forecast this year, Catalyst vice-president Lyn Brown told CBC News.
"The market is in steep decline for the products made at our Crofton paper mill, and that has been a factor in the past year," Brown said.
"As we look ahead we don't see the consumption of those commodity grades rebounding particularly quickly. The requirement for the product made at Coquitlam has been affected by across-the-board paper shipment decline."
As a result, the company decided to shut down its operations at Crofton on Vancouver Island and Coquitlam, east of Vancouver, indefinitely. About 70 jobs will be lost.
The company cut 127 jobs at its Powell River operation in February 2009, citing the declining price of paper as the cause.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

^please edit your post to adhere to the article posting rules. Improperly formatted posts will need to be removed as per copyright restrictions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

Interesting idea though it is only available to you if you are in Berlin, and you have to give them a real address in the city. I went through the registration process and the interface sucks. You also can not choose one or two papers, you have to choose about 8 to 10 and about 8-10 internet news sites. It is also not free. The cost is 30 Euro for 25 days - I do not see this lasting

The site is also missing several of the papers in Germany I would like to read, their selection is weak. Also, I can read all the papers I am interested online already, I am not sure what this site is offering that makes it worth anyone's time or money.

You think that a personalized paper delivered to your real home address every day should be free?

#19 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

An interesting development is that many of the new ebook readers allow you to subscribe to the newspaper through them. I get most of my news from the internet or from TV; however, that doesn't work well if your on transit, in the lunchroom or in a wait room. Subscribing on an ebook sounds perfect for people that read a physical paper and could save the money of printing.

How the Next Kindle Could Save the Newspaper Business
By Marion Maneker May 6, 2009 | 5:08 pm | Categories: Intellectual Property, Media, Mobile Inter

So now we have a Kindle in large and extra large sizes but the response to the new device among journalists, especially those with hopes of magic bullet that will save newspapers, has been mostly small minded.

Wednesday’s press conference was all about text books and newspapers — including a mysterious plan for The New York Times to subsidize devices in exchange for longer term subscription commitments. Somewhere in his content-free speech, Times Publisher Arthur Sulzberger qualified the offer by suggesting the paper would concentrate its efforts in places where “home delivery is not available.” And that would be where, exactly?

http://www.wired.com...paper-business/

#20 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

ok, this is just weird.

National Post cancels Monday print editions for summer

..Oh Dear! However will I line my parrot's cage on Tuesday, without a National Post on Monday?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users