Newspapers going down even faster

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Police say, the woman was in her home and heard noises coming from the kitchen area. She went to investigate the noises and discovered an unknown male in her kitchen. The woman confronted the man and an ensuing altercation resulted in the woman being struck several times with an edged weapon, which may have been a machete.

There is nothing to suggest she was the target of the attack.

By way of the service agreement the Saanich Police Department Detective Division take lead role on this investigation.

http://www.saanichne...ack-in-oak-bay/

????

Random comma thrown into the first sentence.  Peculiar wording in the last sentence.

And a great big WTF in the middle paragraph, when you take that in isolation.  I know what she means, as I'm a close follower of the story, but you have to explain that better.  The way this reads is that this guy was just swinging a machete around in the kitchen and she stepped in the way.  Nobody was the intended target, or at least she wasn't.

Do we know how thick the foliage was in the kitchen?  Could the machete use been as intended for that tool, just clearing vegetation between the sink and the fridge?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

• Daveyboy likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

For 2017-18 funding, the A&R application deadline is Oct. 30 and EA&R projects application deadline is Sept. 30.

The group seems to fit into the eligibility criteria, Jensen said. It’s open to provinces, territories, municipalities and local governments; indigenous groups, communities and organizations; private ports or marinas; Canadian port authorities; academia and for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.

The cleanup at Cadboro Bay is co-operative of almost all those groups.

“Then the question is how many people will be applying?” Jensen said. “Saanich and Oak Bay are not particularly unique. This is a problem up and down Vancouver Island. In many small harbour’s there are derelict boats.”

http://www.saanichne...ederal-funding/

“We could be in the range from $8,000 to $10,000 land most of that is just for disposal because Ralmax and C-Tow have volunteered to do the heavy work and transportation.”

What?  Truly an adventure to read this stuff.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

Someone needs to send this writer a copy of Strunk and White.

• johnk likes this

#84 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

How do these people get and hold their jobs?

#85 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

The better question is: why does Black Press consider this acceptable journalism?

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

In my experience it's been tremendously trying to find a decent writer who doesn't charge top-level rates (which print organizations with large budgets can handle, online publications not so much).

I can't believe the mediocrity that I've seen when writing samples have been submitted to me. Is that the best you can do? This is it? has been my (internal) response to each and every application thus far. Each. One.

From simple things like not knowing when to use a hyphen, to outright spelling mistaks (<--hehe!) to such bizarre diatribes that I couldn't figure out what the intended message was.

• johnk likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

The better question is: why does Black Press consider this acceptable journalism?

Well, there is no doubt that in combination with their new website, they made a decisions to write up many, many more stories than they used to.

#88 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

It fills up space between the ads.

#89 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

I've been enjoying the Black Press writing style as of late, would be nice to get it to my door though the paper version on hiatus again for me.  :mad: 

edit: to be fair the national post that I paid for is batting about 50% accuracy however his throw makes it just over the front gate 100% of the time. :mad:  :mad: 

edit: times colonist flawless delivery service currently.  :)  :)  :) 

Edited by todd, 28 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

...to such bizarre diatribes that I couldn't figure out what the intended message was.

Maybe you should try hiring VV forumers to write your stuff? The bizarre diatribes that get posted here are rarely ambiguous.

• Jill likes this

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

True, we can usually extract something of value from a good chunk of them.

Anyone looking for a writing gig?  :rtfm:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

????

Random comma thrown into the first sentence.  ..........

I think it represents a sense of smugness if the reporter was speaking it; or it was a mistake.

????

Do we know how thick the foliage was in the kitchen?  Could the machete use been as intended for that tool, just clearing vegetation between the sink and the fridge?

We just don't know,

#93 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

True, we can usually extract something of value from a good chunk of them.

Anyone looking for a writing gig?  :rtfm:

Wait, I thought I was already signed at 10 bucks per post. Still waiting on the cheques...

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hold on, that's not quite right. It's ten pesos per 100 posts.

Know it all.

#95 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

Read the fine print. You're paid in credits that you can use in VV's official store. You've almost got enough for a VV bottle opener (doesn't work on North American format bottles, FYI). I'm saving up for the fridge magnets.

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

The magnets don't stick to North American format fridges but adhesive is included, FYI.

#97 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

1 million posts gets a t-shirt? 

Size: Chinese small.

Edited by lanforod, 29 June 2017 - 08:06 AM.

• Mike K. and todd like this

#98 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

We can hope, but rumour has it that the post counter rolls over to zero after 999,999.

#99 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

nparker, hurry up and find out what the deal is here.

#100 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

Size: Chinese small.

:banana:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users