Newspapers going down even faster

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

There is animosity there, for sure. But with Citified they ought to know by now that my reputation is at stake with what is published there and what is published there is not free for the taking. It’s a serious, reliable and cutting edge resource that’s been publishing content since 2015, and at the end of the day it is a business. To not cite VV is one thing, but to not cite Citified enters the realm of loose ethics and a lack of professional courtesy, and some would even consider taking information from such a resource and not crediting it as theft.

Tjv, of course, is the man of the hour here and that’s why all of the above aside they SHOULD have credited his post. The fact that they did not is a serious lapse in judgement.
  • Nparker and Mattjvd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

The above is important.

And as per formal agreement between Mike and I, the Citified article, posted in the way agreed, also went out on my social media channels.

Right. And us posting to social media pages ties back to a single source. Posting a link does not constitute a “media” report, it’s a post with a link.
  • Rob Randall likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Here's a good example of why mainstream media shouldn't base a story solely on a single forum posts: Both the below posts appear to have credible information from someone in the know yet they directly contradict each other:

Capture.JPG

The difference with Citified was that Mike had an offline conversation with the poster to confirm the information. We didn't know that at the time. Now it may be possible the other media outlets also conversed with the tipster. For journalism's sake I hope they did.

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

I look at that and say ks112 has no clout here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

I am inclined to think that had the media conversed with the tipster, the reference to social media or other "media reports" wouldn't have been used, rather a "source who wished to remain anonymous with information on the project" would have been.

Remember when Citified published this piece? The TC ran an article shortly thereafter more or less insinuating the Citified piece was spreading rumours. Citified was never named, but the target was clear. The following week Citified doubled down, and by mid-December the TC ran an article backing up to the millimetre everything Citified had previously asserted.

Know it all.

#146 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

Agreed. 

In the past few months we have had a number of new 'members' posting information which is demonstrably false. Whether this is being done intentionally to try and discredit VV or just someone failing to properly vet their rumours remains to be seen.

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

Right, we develop a good sense of someone's credibility over time. Posts like this one are a perfect example of why you shouldn't take anything at face value.

tjv provided the proof we needed through architectural drawings. Without those drawings I don't think the Citified article would have been published. VV may have published a Facebook post raising the possibility and asking our fans to opine on that possibility, but that would have been the extent of it.

Know it all.

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

Ks might be a fine individual, but at 6 posts, compared to what Westhills has brought us consistently over time.,..
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

I gather the people at the top of my industry are not entirely happy.

“Budget media provisions disappointing, industry says” reported the Globe and Mail, a newspaper, about the newspaper industry’s reaction to a decision by the government it covers on the issue of the government giving money to the newspapers that cover it. “Federal budget fails to provide real help to Canadian media, industry officials warn,” reported the Toronto Star, another newspaper.

Both of the newspapers quoted John Hinds, president of News Media Canada, an organization whose name might lead you to think it represents the news media in Canada but is in fact a group of newspaper publishers. “It doesn’t really address the current problem that we have,” he said in one.

Also quoted was Paul Godfrey, chief executive officer of Postmedia Network Canada Corp., which owns the National Post and other newspapers where this column appears. “This is most disappointing, and somewhat insulting when you consider all the time we’ve wasted making appearances in front of commissions they’ve set up,” he said. “Continuing to ignore us means more job cuts, more closures and more anguish.” I’m sure he didn’t mean that the way it sounds.

http://nationalpost....meone-else-does

^ that's Coyne in the National Post.

In local news, Dave Obee has been promoted to the publisher of the TC.  Curiously, the TC article does not say who he takes over from.  Well, not too curious, since the guy he takes over from is David Radler.  David Radler got the job a few years after he left prison.  He was sentenced to 29 months.  His crime?  Defrauding newspaper shareholders of some $65 million.  He turned evidence against Conrad Black in exchange for a lesser sentence than Black got.

I suspect as the TC union contracts come to an end on January 1st, and the TC attempts to move their printing operations off-site, they'd prefer Obee to be seen to be making the decisions, at least in the media eye, rather than Radler.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#150 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Radler is also selling the Courier building - and maye the whole newspaper - in Kelowna too.

David Radler, majority owner of the Kelowna Daily Courier, says the future of the newspaper is secure, despite the for sale sign on its downtown headquarters and recent layoffs in the newsroom.

“It’s not at risk now and it’s not at risk 20 years from now,” Radler said in an interview from his Vancouver office.

The prime 1.65-acre site has been listed for sale with realtor NAI Commercial Okanagan for $12.7 million and is commercially zoned for a high-rise up to 12 storeys.

Radler characterized the listing and possible sale as “exploratory” with no guaranteed outcome.

He said Continental Newspapers, which owns the Daily Courier, has no need to sell but would consider it given the right offer.

https://infotel.ca/n...-office/it49726

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

Dozens of students at the University of Victoria staged ‘The Justice or Just Us?’ Day of Action walkout around on Ring Road Wednesday morning.

They were joined by activists and First Nation elders who held a ceremony out front of the Faculty of Law building before campus security closed traffic on ring road for the peaceful protest.

About 100 people took part.

https://www.vicnews....-day-of-action/

At UVic, hundreds march to protest ‘built-in racism’ in justice system

About 300 University of Victoria students, faculty and supporters staged a march Wednesday highlighting what they see as the in-built racism of Canada’s justice system.

Highlighting last month’s not-guilty verdicts for the accused killers of Tina Fontaine, 15, in Winnipeg and Colten Boushie, 22, in Battleford, Sask., the marchers wanted to draw attention to a system they say is failing Indigenous Peoples.

http://www.timescolo...stem-1.23202181

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 March 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

300 sounds better.

#153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

I think the 300 figure comes from The Martlet, which objectively reported the march while subjectively promoting it. 

The published photos suggest 100 marchers at an absolute minimum. To my eye it looks more like 150-200.

IMG_4993WEB-1110x740.jpg

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 March 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

In either event, we have to accept that one newspaper, or both newspapers, were significantly off on their figures.

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Oh, to be a student again  :wave:

Know it all.

#156 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

I think it was closer to 150-200. Saw it in person...

• Rob Randall likes this

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Maybe if they protested indigenous people breaking the law it would have more of an effect on the justice system.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#158 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

We have just read about how the media is able to meddle in election outcomes with the Facebook scandal. This is a crafty subliminal approach to swaying voters. How is this possible? How can someone affect my vote with subliminal messages?

Easy. Have a look at these photos in today's e-edition of our only daily newspaper. On the one side you see a calm and confident mayor who gives the appearance of the wisdom of Job. On the other hand you see a mayor that looks like he just gave birth to a large cat. 

victoria-mayor-lisa-helps-and-saanich-mayor-richard-atwell.jpg

To make matters worse the article is about these two important politicians working together to discuss the joining of their two electoral districts. This is an important question. This topic deserves unbiased reporting. This daily media outlet should show leadership in not tainting the public's view. 

They have used this photo in the past. Why not use it again?

08292014-richard-atwell-jpg.jpg

I find their subliminal messaging repulsive.

• Mike K. likes this

#159 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Oh, to be a student again  :wave:

Oh to be young and foolish again.  I remember it well, I thought I was hot stuff, graduated with a mind full of knowledge and ready to take on the world...only to find out the real world isn't like it was in university

• Mike K. likes this

#160 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

^^ It will get worse before it gets better. The new election rules allow individuals to spend an unlimited amount of advertising with no disclosure so the media will be licking their chops and all to willing to support the ad spend with editorial content in my opinion

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users