Photo

Food carts & food trucks (mobile food vendors) in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#221 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

they seem to be complaining that they have to invest a lot of money, work long hours and take all the risks for little reward; just like a restaurant.
  • Nparker, Matt R., Jill and 2 others like this

#222 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, one of the successful guys they interviewed said that when the food truck boom started a lot of inexperienced folks just bought a truck and thought they would be rolling in dough selling mom's recipe for whatever. He said you have to be a chef, have a business plan that works, and good food.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#223 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

Have a business plan, indeed!

Matt.

#224 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, one of the successful guys they interviewed said that when the food truck boom started a lot of inexperienced folks just bought a truck and thought they would be rolling in dough selling mom's recipe for whatever. He said you have to be a chef, have a business plan that works, and good food.

Like any business really.  Ya gotta know what you are doing.  With food trucks, you have a pretty limited menu, you better be good, or the only alternative (like at a festival).  I went to a Boston Pizza the other day, that menu is 14 pages long.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#225 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

I went to a Boston Pizza the other day, that menu is 14 pages long.

I find any menu more than 5 or 6 pages long fairly suspect.  How is it possible to prepare that many items on a menu effectively? (Unless they are all previously frozen, of course :rtfm: )

• Matt R., Bingo, johnk and 1 other like this

#226 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:40 AM

And food trucks impact brick-and-mortar businesses with much higher overhead. The industry is a bit odd, IMO, and I'm not surprised there's such a high turnover rate.

At Pride I was at a food truck where the people making food were also shaking hands with acquaintances who came by. For real? Do you not have the most basic of wherewithal when preparing food?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#227 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

At Pride I was at a food truck where the people making food were also shaking hands with acquaintances who came by. For real? Do you not have the most basic of wherewithal when preparing food?

This vendor has a cash box right next to the grill where people are asked to pay and take their change. No cash is handled by the vendor.

sausage1.jpg

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

Ah, which reminds me, the guy that I saw shaking hands was also handling cash.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#229 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

I find any menu more than 5 or 6 pages long fairly suspect.  How is it possible to prepare that many items on a menu effectively? (Unless they are all previously frozen, of course :rtfm: )

Any of the 'chain' restaurants have pre-prepared portions. They heat and add sauce, sides.

#230 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

And food trucks impact brick-and-mortar businesses with much higher overhead. The industry is a bit odd, IMO, and I'm not surprised there's such a high turnover rate.

Take it easy Mike, this is the new "sharing economy". No rules, red tape or taxes to get in the way. All the folks need is an app.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#231 pitzer23

pitzer23
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, it's true that we don't have enough programs organized in the parks.

#232 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Finally got around to trying The Crispy Fish food truck that I’ve seen parked at Corona Foods (Sooke Road by the Dairy Queen). Excellent fish ‘n chips. Not a very extensive menu, but then, that’s the trick to a successful truck…just do a few things and do them well. It’s pretty much just fish and chips and poutine. They offer cod, salmon, haddock and hali…oh, and mushy peas (no thanks). Had the 1-piece cod dinner…huge chunk o fish, more hand-cut thick chips than one person needs, coleslaw and home-made tarter for 10 bucks…ye cannae whack it!

• Nparker likes this

#233 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

Oh good! I have friends who live right around there. Glad to hear it's bonafide.

#234 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Bicycle food vendors will be allowed to peddle their wares on city streets and in most city parks this summer under a pilot program approved by councillors Thursday.

“I think it’s an awesome idea. I’m really quite thrilled,” said Coun. Marianne Alto.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.JL48D5eC.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#235 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

I wonder what they mean by "streets" and parks.  Does that mean the sidewalk on Government St. is OK?  The Empress sells ice cream (so does every harbour hotel).  So does Frankie's.  Milestones, Earl's etc.  So does every food store (Market on Yates, the place on Quadra, Tomley's, 7/11's and Macs,  a half-dozen Chinatown places), Fisherman's Wharf (Jackson's).  I'd like to see more details here.  Funny, the one place that could use more food is Beacon Hill Park, but it's off limits.

Coun. Geoff Young said care has to be taken ensure mobile vendors enhance the downtown experience without unduly impacting brick and mortar operations.

“It’s important when these bylaws are being designed in detail that we have a very clear idea in mind of what we want to achieve. Merely transferring the sale of an item from a taxpaying business to somebody who has bought himself a bicycle cart is not, in itself, adding to the vitality of the city although it can do so,” Young said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.JL48D5eC.dpuf

The 30-minutes thing seems to be almost unenforceable.

I could see Fisherman's Wharf park being popular, and the parking on Dallas Road, Clover Point, the beach on Dallas, and Gonzales Bay. 

What would be popular?  Ice cream.  Some type of sub sandwiches etc.  Chocolate bars, canned pop probably.  Marijuana.

• Matt R. likes this

#236 Shack

Shack
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

What would be popular?  Ice cream.  Some type of sub sandwiches etc.  Chocolate bars, canned pop probably.  Marijuana.

If you start with the latter, the rest will follow.

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall, Nparker and 3 others like this

#237 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing these things pop up around town. Perhaps we'll see little pop-up stands like you see in NYC offering all kinds of goods - don't forget Noodle Box started as a little cart across from Capital Iron. 

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

"Beach Food" has started up again for the season on Esquimalt Lagoon in Colwood. Every Friday and Saturday food vendors setup shop near the southern end of the lagoon.

From the City of Colwood: "We want to encourage people to get out and active in the fresh air and enjoy our beautiful natural surroundings. Come for a stroll or a splash in the ocean and have your lunch or dinner at the beach with live local music on selected dates.

Two or three food vendors will set up in a designated area near the welcome sign on Ocean Boulevard every Friday and Saturday between 11am and 7pm from May through September (weather permitting)."

The vendors scheduled as of today are:

Friday June 16

The Crispy Fish
Pepperman's Grill
Grilled to the Mac (3-7 pm)

Saturday June 17 The Crispy Fish
Greek on the Street
Hungry Rooster
L'Authentique Poutine & Burger (3-7 pm)

Friday June 23
MUSIC by Jaimey Hamilton

The Crispy Fish
Pepperman's Grill

Saturday June 24

The Crispy Fish

Mai Mai's West Coast Fusion

Friday June 30
MUSIC by the Big Weee

Pepperman's Grill
Mai Mai's West Coast Fusion

July dates will be posted at http://www.colwood.c...wood-waterfront

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Has anyone noticed whether or not food trucks have been operating at the designated spot on Yates at Douglas? Beside those little puzzle piece bench thingies?

Know it all.

#240 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

^ have not seen one for weeks.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users