Photo

Monday Magazine - monthly

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I remember Russ Francis' Arena Deal Deathwatch column...when everybody else was drinking the Kool Aid served up by that Cali car dealer Pasant, only Monday did the background. Go Victoria Spiders!!!

#42 Wally

Wally
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

I remember Russ Francis' Arena Deal Deathwatch column...when everybody else was drinking the Kool Aid served up by that Cali car dealer Pasant, only Monday did the background. Go Victoria Spiders!!!

Whether you agreed with Russ or not, the fact is that the guy was one of the last true investigative journalists we had in Victoria. He actually got up from his computer and walked the beat to research his stories and talk to people.

#43 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I used read Monday solely for Russ Francis. He illuminated City Hall.

I'm following the bridge situation about as closely as I did the arena deal (which means, at a generally interested, rather concerned, but not obsessive level) and can only remark that I don't even know the name of our current city manager. But Don Roughley left an indelible impression on my mind, an image sketched by Francis.

I am being drawn into the Focus/FOI issue, though. But it's more about process than it is about individual actors.

#44 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

We have an old Russ Francis thread:

http://www.vibrantvi...-magazine-2250/

Not much love for him there.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Two weeks in and there's still a blank white space on the inside page where the editor's photo usually is. So basically, the only staffer writing the publication is Danielle Pope, with the exception of the content created by the two people that organize the classified and event calendar listings. The only other content are the columns contributed by the food and movie freelancers. I don't even recall comics or horoscopes in the last issue.

Without an editor, what buffer is there between the publisher and writer? I suppose the owner could order Danielle to do a profile piece on his new pet refinery project or whatever strikes his fancy.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Without an editor, what buffer is there between the publisher and writer? I suppose the owner could order Danielle to do a profile piece on his new pet refinery project or whatever strikes his fancy.

Pet refinery? Is that like an obedience school?

Monday was only 16 pages this week, smallest I have ever seen it. Last few copies were all 20.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yes. I recommend it. My cat was very gauche.

Brian Kieran's column still runs but it only covers BC politics, not local.

No cartoons anymore. If the horoscope disappears, call the undertaker, she's done.

With no editor it appears the magazine is being readied for sale or dissolution. Unless Black Press rolled Monday into their regular news press run, ie: Wednesday's Victoria News would actually be a Monday.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Brian Kieran's column still runs but it only covers BC politics, not local.

Brian Kireran was a partner in Pilothouse and a partner with Eric Bornmann (an admitted briber of public officials) in the BC Rail scandal.

gjBmbueuMq8

#49 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Monday was only 16 pages this week, smallest I have ever seen it. Last few copies were all 20.

16 pages isn't unusual. I count them when I read it with my breakfast every Saturday.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

16 pages isn't unusual. I count them when I read it with my breakfast every Saturday.

I check it every week. 20 is the norm over the last 24 months, occasionally 24. Only 16 again this week.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

I check it every week. 20 is the norm over the last 24 months, occasionally 24. Only 16 again this week.

Awesome, so do I.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

June 27th - Monday Magazine is going to a MONTHLY magazine format. It will be a larger format, stapled. Colour on every page.

http://www.mondaymag.../209979021.html

BLACK PRESS REIMAGINES VICTORIA'S PREMIERE WEEKLY READ
Mondaylogoweb.jpg
Monday Magazine is moving from an alternative news weekly to a comprehensive arts and entertainment monthly beginning June 27.

Published: June 03, 2013 1:00 PM
Updated: June 03, 2013 1:32 PM

Beginning June 27, Black Press' Monday Magazine is moving from an alternative news weekly to a comprehensive monthly arts and entertainment guide.

Along with the revitalized magazine comes a revamped website with weekly blogs, videos and updates from our writers with plenty of room for readers to share their thoughts and ideas. Readers will also enjoy expanded arts and entertainment coverage twice weekly in Black Press' community newspapers.

#53 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

^ So I suppose it will look like Focus or Seaside Times. I wonder how the advertisers feel about the change?

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Probably a good thing.

Check out this morning's dump of Exclaim magazine -- about 20 were placed onto this bin this morning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

June 27th - Monday Magazine is going to a MONTHLY magazine format. It will be a larger format, stapled. Colour on every page.

http://www.mondaymag.../209979021.html

This is great news and long overdue. I was thinking they should move to a bi-weekly schedule, but this will probably work out even better. It was clear that something fundamental had to change (besides the editor). The quality and consistency of the publication had become so poor that Monday was actually harmful to some of the alternative causes it was supposedly championing.

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

^but will those things change? Going from a weekly to a monthly print run doesn't mean the articles and news won't continue to read like a college newspaper.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#57 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

This is great news and long overdue

Wish I could share your optimism. MM has been on a downward slope for so long that it's hard to remember what it was "back in the day" - even though I didn't always agree with it. I just think it'll become interchangeable with the multitude of free insert-type publications that are just slightly better than those coffee-news things one finds at DQ and lowball restaurants.

#58 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Was it ever revealed how much "Monday.com" sold for ?. It was sold to a major accounting firm as far as I remember ,who was going to change their laughably name to Monday?.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Was it ever revealed how much "Monday.com" sold for ?. It was sold to a major accounting firm as far as I remember ,who was going to change their laughably name to Monday?.

I think it was sold to Arthur Anderson, or IBM, and it was going to be the basis for an advertising campaign. Like, "it's Monday, lets get to work making America better". But the campaign never took place.

#60 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

^but will those things change? Going from a weekly to a monthly print run doesn't mean the articles and news won't continue to read like a college newspaper.

The Martlet has more news articles, better quality journalism, more reader contributions and a good culture / arts section. Same with the Nexus for that matter. Both are incorporated as non-profit societies under the BC Society Act.

Written into The Martlet's constitution is the declaration: "The Martlet is editorially and financially independent from the UVic Students’ Society. This provision is unalterable."

And the Nexus Publishing Society has a Separation Agreement with Camosun College Students Society.

Unfortunately, these days Monday ranks well below a college newspaper... :-(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users