• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

Temple (on Fort)

This is that restaurant in the amazing terracotta building on Fort near Langley.

Very slick and trendy--not cheap, either but the food is great.

Interestingly, all the beers are Belgian.

Now I wish to discuss vegetables.

Scaper recently turned vetoed a fine restaurant meal due to the presence of zucchini.

Recently, a bunch of us went to Temple for appetizers. One of the appetizers was beets. Yes, beets. My impression of beets were horrible bitter, tasteless, overcooked canned vegetables your have to eat over at grandma's.

These beets, however, were delicious. Exquisite. I was pleasantly shocked.

I maintain that there is no such thing as a disgusting vegetable--only bad preparation.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

http://www.thetemple.ca/

I've been there once. My impression was that it was reasonably priced, meaning if you ordered two or three appetizers the price came up to the same as a meal at an "expensive" restaurant. Then again, I also had a full meal, and it was basically a large appetizer. It seems to have a pretty fun vibe in there, you know, trendy beautiful artsy people...I'm surprised they let me in. Does anyone ever use that bed btw?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:52 PM

^If you do, they also have a confessional booth near the wine cellar.

My new goal in life is to get Scaper to eat zucchini. And I'll do it, by God.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

I've been there a few times. Not bad at all.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

I love this place. Im friends with one of the Chef's. Even their lunches are delicious, and not too expensive if you want to impress your lunchmate.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

They used to have a tasty jalapeno chocolate ice cream on the menu. I think they got rid of it, cuz no one was ordering it.

#7 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

http://www.thetemple.ca/

I've been there once. My impression was that it was reasonably priced, meaning if you ordered two or three appetizers the price came up to the same as a meal at an "expensive" restaurant. Then again, I also had a full meal, and it was basically a large appetizer. It seems to have a pretty fun vibe in there, you know, trendy beautiful artsy people...I'm surprised they let me in. Does anyone ever use that bed btw?

(Discalimer: I am new here, I got sucked in by the architecture section, so I apologize for butting in.)

I got sat on the bed the first time I went to Temple, but my friend and I were both wearing skirts, so it was a little awkward. We also did the appetizer combo thing, and I was really impressed with how good vegetables can be. They have some neat coctails too.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

Hey there is no such thing as butting in here. We want as much dialogue by as many people as possible.

Welcome aboard!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

Don't butt in, G-Man. Let her finish.

#10 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

Amy....Welcome to the site!!! I hope you find it enjoyable.

Cheers.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Alright well back on topic I did see a great demo by the chef of Temple at Folkfest this year. He made a great polenta. Anyways to be honest I have never actually ventured through the doors but I will as I work practically next door.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the welcome! I'm very impressed by this place.

I just re-read my post and I thought I should clarify something: I think vegetables are delicious to begin with, but Temple does them wonderfully.

#13 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, for a minute I had you pegged as a veggie-hater, which is so rare in Victoria. :)

#14 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

While we're on the topic: I happened to be in last night, and they have just re-vamped their menu. One of the hits with people was the short ribs. One of the misses (and, of course, my order) was the frites -- too hard to eat, waaaaaay too salty. Although they did sell another beer to thirsty me... devious.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

The owner took me on a tour about a year or so ago and showed me the wine cellar that used to be the bank's vault.

#16 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Welcome aboard Amy Grace and Walter Moar!!

Cool, I've never seen anyone sit on the bed before! I guess if you drank too much you could just pass out on the bed! Yes, you're right, they do make ordinary vegetables look beautiful and mouthwatering.

Maybe VibrantVictorians should meet up there one night for drinks and appetizers, although I fear we'd be too noisy...!

#17 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

Belgian beers! I'm there the next time I'm over. Weekend after next, Zoomer you in?

#18 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

Belgian beers! I'm there the next time I'm over. Weekend after next, Zoomer you in?

I love Belgian beer...and I've got the beer glass set to prove it! As long as it's not the 28th of October I'm in! I have a night of curling/drinking planned on the 28th. I will be in Vancouver from Nov 19th to 24th, staying at the Pan Pacific, so I promise to try and meet up this time inbetween a few visits with my family over there.

#19 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

Sounds good pm me when you're over here or shortly before!

#20 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:12 AM

There are new owners within the last week, and they're planning on reviving the lunch menu. Look for interesting new things to be happening soon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users