Photo

Best Sandwich!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Apparently it is International Sandwich Week - thank you to the Guardian UK for the prime news!

So let's get some VV feedback on the following:

1)Your favourite homemade sandwich? The more exotic the better - but keep it realistic...(or maybe not)

2) Best sandwich from a deli/restaurant/lunch counter in the region?
Anyone who suggests Bread Garden Sandwiches on BC Ferries can go stuff themselves with one...

3) Best, or most interesting International Sandwich?
Location may take a key role...

4) Worst sandwich you have ever experienced?
Looking forward to reading these...

Here are mine

1) Nothing beats a home panini grill! Simple grilled cheese. Good bread (Cobs whole wheat) - at least 2 different cheeses, strong cheddar and brie; mozzarella and blue...topped with arugala. Trick is to butter (no marg please) the outside of the bread, and ensure the slices are thick enough to hold the sandwich, thin enough the cheese melts.

2) I could pick out places in Vancouver - local will require VV input.

3) International - without any doubt Essaouira, Morocco. Been there a few times starting in the late '80's. There is a family that runs a baguette sandwich cart near the harbour, which are to-die-for. French style baguette stuffed with local anchovies (pickled), smoked mackeral, eggs, onions, a wonderful sauce - and then topped with home made fries. About $2 for a foot long feast.

4) Still have nightmares - British Rail, again in the 80's. Riding from Dover to London and starving. In the 'dining' car ordered a ham/cheese sandwich which appeared in more packaging than actual sandwich. Thin slices of tasteless white bread, ham with green and yellow streaks, some sort of processed cheese - and the bonus - a large piece of glass! I swear the expiry date was before I was born. Cost over 4 BP for that dubious pleasure.

Your turn!!

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

I'm not so sure I've had just a sandwich anywhere here since maybe the early 90's or before at Glen's Fabulous Sandwiches, Fort St. underground location, to be exact.

Hold on, I've had a few Subway sandwiches, but I bet less than 10 or 15 in my life. Heck, I've only had Tim Horton's food less than 10 times since they expanded beyond donuts and coffee.

So I pass, but of course I hate to pass up posting something.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

Apparently it is International Sandwich Week - thank you to the Guardian UK for the prime news!

So let's get some VV feedback on the following:

Anyone who suggest Bread Garden Sandwiches on BC Ferries can go stuff themselves with one...

off the top of my head I'd say the short-rib beef dip @ cactus club. tied for 2nd place is a beef dip anywhere else :D

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Made-to-order sandwiches at the Red Barn Market on West Saanich Rd.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's Deli in Montreal... nom-nom!

Many years ago there was a place in Vancouver's West End close toward the downtown end that served a sandwich called Pacific Delight. It was 3 layers, with shrimp, and egg salad, and ...something else. Can't remember. It was very good.

A friend once made me a grilled cheese sandwich, using a frying pan - she buttered the bread - on both sides! And she put mustard on the bread!!! Mustard and cheese, and butter, eww. Since I was a guest, I felt it would have been impolite to say, "yuck, don't do that!" But strangely enough, it was a fantastically tasty grilled cheese sandwich, which I can recall to this day.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

Do hot dogs count? If so, Hebrew National hot dogs, available at US Costco stores, with mustard. Sauerkraut on the side, and a Coke. (edit: Costco sells these in bulk, in the store, but also sells them cooked and made up at the front of the store.)

I wish Canadian Costcos would sell Hebrew National.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Do hot dogs count? If so, Hebrew National hot dogs, available at US Costco stores, with mustard. Sauerkraut on the side, and a Coke. (edit: Costco sells these in bulk, in the store, but also sells them cooked and made up at the front of the store.)

Nope, sorry - get a union, or sue under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Hot dogs and hamburgers do not count in this thread!.

Then again - getting very hungry

#8 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

1) A simple ham and cheese

2) Subway

3) only had one international sandwich

4) at diner in the San Fran airport that tasted disgusting

#9 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

1). Toasted tomato or cucumbers on buttered bread.
2). Grilled panini at the Italian Deli, add spicy pickled eggplant
3) Torta Cubana from that place in the zocalo in Oaxaca
4) Cold ingredients served on cold bread - ick!

#10 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

1) Leftover rare roast beef, mustard and horseradish, slice of cheddar, lettuce and soft whole-wheat bread. Mmmmm.

2) The Cuban sandwich at Tapas Bar in Trounce Alley. A-mazing.

3) When I lived in Germany, I frequented a neighbourhood pub that made thick steak sandwiches on garlic-toast bread. Twenty years later and I'd fly back just for that sangy.

4) Princeton. Mohawk gas station. Pre-made ham and cheese sub. Slimy lettuce, soggy bread, I ate it anyway. Spent the next two days on--or around--the toilet. Enough said.

#11 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

They're so good because they have to answer to a higher authority. ;)

As for me:

1) Grilled four-cheese sandwich (smoked chedder, gruyere, asiago and parmiggiano)

2) La Bomba plus pickled eggplant (props to julienne), from the Italian Deli

3) Jamon Iberico, manchego and crusty bread in a corner bar near the Plaza Las Cruces in Seville, washed down with a tubo of San Miguel.

A medium-fat Smoked Meat Sandwich with tonnes of French Mustard for dipping and a Cherry Coke from Schwartz's in Montreal is a close second.

4) Egg salad, served to me in Air Canada Business Class. They had it totally backwards: bread was moist and the eggs were crusty! BLECH!

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

1)Your favourite homemade sandwich?

Simple - Pastrami, Swiss, lettuce, pickle, tomatoe, mayo, mustard

Hmmm.... I used to enjoy the BLT from Paul's Motor Inn. The place with the goats on the roof makes a killer sandwich.

In Vienna there are these sandwich places where you go in and there are hundreds of openface sandwiches pre-made and you just pick and choose into a box and then pay in quantity. They had such amazing quality and variety I think about them often and wish to try them again.

Not sure if Hamburgers count but I had a terrible hamburguesa in Mexico last week it was SOOOOO salty.

#13 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

4) Egg salad, served to me in Air Canada Business Class. They had it totally backwards: bread was moist and the eggs were crusty! BLECH!

:P Hilarious!

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

They used to have the HNs at Langford but took them out.
I never went there without having one, best hot dogs around!

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

1)Your favourite homemade sandwich?

Fresh walnut cheese bread from my oven, baguette style, sliced open with mayo and grainy mustard, strips of steak, fried mushroom & garlic & onion, melted sharp white cheddar, shredded Romain lettuce for my garden, and a few pansies (in spring), Calendula petals (in summer) or Nasturtium petals (in autumn) tossed in with the lettuce for colour.

The Figaro Pannini from Macciato's on Broad St. No contest! Not only is it incredibly cheap for the value ($5 or so), but the fig spread they use is a work of art. It complements the deli meat and cheese perfectly - not too sweet but a beautiful flavour combination.

The best sandwich I ever tasted was in the South of France near Cours Sur Lions. It was just fresh made bread and the local soft cheese, with a little duck pate, eaten on the side of a dusty little road, with an apple on the side. Perfection.

The mayo had not only soaked the bread, turned the lettuce into slime, and coated the disgustingly salty crap that passes for Bacon down in the Southern USA, but upon biting in, I realized immediately that it had also gone off sitting in the sun all day. If I had been able to spit it out right away it wouldn't have been so bad, but out of politeness I had to find an excuse to walk away from the picnic area so I could get this foulness out of my mouth. This ended up taking a couple of minutes, or an eternity, depending on your point of view. All the while, the slimy grossness sat in my cheek pocket, testing my gag reflex. The rest of the day I kept waiting to be poisoned with a sick sense of ... "I'm going to die" in my tummy.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#16 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Asiago, cappicollo and sun-dried tomatoes on crusty bread and toasted in a sandwich toaster or just butter the outside of the bread and fry it.

Schwartz's smoked meat is the gold standard but Snowdon Deli in Montreal does a great 50/50 smoked meat and chopped liver on rye. It has to be accompanied by a Mrs. Whyte's dill and frites fried at least 2X. Cole slaw on the side, but not the milky U.S.-style stuff.
Cherry coke or black cherry to wash it down.

Worst sandwich? Anything on a plane or in an airport, though I have heard Via Rail is competitive.

#17 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

1. Dainty, crustless tea sandwiches.
2. ?
3. In France, a French loaf, butter and a good cheese.
4. Too many to count. (shudder)

#18 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

2. Grilled panini at Cascadia Bakery
3. Has to be the hotdog masquerading as a sandwich served to me by TAP Portugal
4. Chicken and egg sandwich at Starbucks post-customs at Victoria International - was four days past best before date.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

wow people have had some nasty sandwiches... i've only ever had boring ones, never with rotten/stale stuff in it

i forgot about italiam food imports also; they make some good ones on focaccia bread, with zesty mayo(?) etc & for only ~$5 too. no wonder there's almost always a big lineup around lunchtime.

#20 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Holy cow this thread is making me hungry.
Mouthwatering post by Caramia.

1. Haven't put much effort into sandwiches lately, although I've made some amazing burgers. But now I'm inspired...
2. Yep, Macchs & Italian Deli are good food and great value.
3. Tortas in Mexico City.
4. I prefer not to dwell on the negatives!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users