Best Sandwich!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Have to add a favourite to the list.
I recently had the falafel wrap at Lakehill Grocery AKA Mediterranean Specialty Foods on Quadra.
Whole wheat pita wrapped around falafel with the right amount of sauce, housemade pickled turnips, tomatoes, etc. It was exquisite. Extra napkins essential.

#22 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

Have to add a favourite to the list.
I recently had the falafel wrap at Lakehill Grocery AKA Mediterranean Specialty Foods on Quadra.

Mmmm ... falafel. Do any places downtown make it, aside from the notorious Pita Pit?

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

^ Well not right downtown, but Blair Mart on Pandora across from Our Place has falafel.

#24 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

This one's a no-brainer-Italian Food Imports on Blanshard makes the best roast beef sandwiches i've ever had. As for homemade, I have one of those grilled cheese sandwich presses from the '80's that churns out killer grilled cheese. I can't think of anywhere that stands out for being bad.
In chains by Keynes

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Blair Mart also has the most amazing spinach and cheese pies for under $5.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Made-to-order sandwiches at the Red Barn Market on West Saanich Rd.

You CANNOT get a better deal on a sandwich ANYWHERE in the CRD. I can hardly finish one, and for $4.50 it's at an unreal price.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

^They have a second location in the old La Collina place.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

What, near City Hall?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#29 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

751 Vanalman.
Their double smoked bacon is the stuff of dreams.

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

Damn - they need an outlet downtown for us walkers!

#31 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

Wow, whatever happened to that place? Is there a thread? The only one I think that's left is on McKenzie @ Blenkinsop - which just so happened to have the worst service of all of them.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

They overextended themselves.

#33 endayliner

endayliner
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Apparently it is International Sandwich Week - thank you to the Guardian UK for the prime news!

So let's get some VV feedback on the following:

1)Your favourite homemade sandwich? The more exotic the better - but keep it realistic...(or maybe not)

2) Best sandwich from a deli/restaurant/lunch counter in the region?
Anyone who suggests Bread Garden Sandwiches on BC Ferries can go stuff themselves with one...

3) Best, or most interesting International Sandwich?
Location may take a key role...

4) Worst sandwich you have ever experienced?
Looking forward to reading these...

1) Just a simple Roast Beef Sandwich on whole wheat or a Kaiser roll with onions, pickles, sprouts, mustard and mayo.

2) The Quiznos in Westside Village, best Classic Italian I've had at any Quiznos. When I was working at the roundhouse for the Pacific Wilderness Railway I'd walk over every day for lunch. Just about blew my paychecks(those that I did get) there.

3) A hot meatball sandwich at Russo's Grill in Amsterdam, NY. It was the size of the plate and smothered in marinara sauce.

4) Worst sandwich I've ever had was a beef dip at a dive in Boston Bar, the bread was stale, the roast beef taste like it had been sitting out all day
and the fake au jus was cold. I'm so glad I don't run to Boston Bar on CN anymore, that place is a hole.
Tyler
CN Hogger and displaced Victorian.

#34 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

Tyler - thanks for your comments and participation on VV. It's great to have someone who lived in the region and has an outside viewpoint. Your posted pics of the trains on another thread are greatly appreciated.

There is something about NY, Chicago, and other northern US cities/towns where a hot meat ball sandwich becomes a culinary art form. Somehow no deli does it quite right locally - maybe it's location, or an understanding of the 'messiness' ideal. :P

#35 endayliner

endayliner
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Tyler - thanks for your comments and participation on VV. It's great to have someone who lived in the region and has an outside viewpoint. Your posted pics of the trains on another thread are greatly appreciated.

There is something about NY, Chicago, and other northern US cities/towns where a hot meat ball sandwich becomes a culinary art form. Somehow no deli does it quite right locally - maybe it's location, or an understanding of the 'messiness' ideal. :P

I'm glad I found this place. I was born and raised in Victoria. Well, born in View Royal and raised in Colwood and Sooke, but close enough :D . I even remember riding the first BC Transit double decker run from Sooke.

I've never seen so much food as I did when I was in upstate New York. Even Quiznos subs and McDonalds hamburgers are bigger.
Tyler
CN Hogger and displaced Victorian.

#36 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Everything is bigger in the states. That's why there are so many fat people down there.

#37 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:35 AM

bigger is better, as they say :rolleyes:

#38 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

go to la belle patate for a smoked beef sandwich, go again for their steak & pepperoni sub :o seriously, as i was eating that sub I couldn't believe I was actually eating it... in real life... i kept thinking to myself "am I dreaming? or am i actually eating this for real because i can't believe what i'm tasting" a warning though, it's the good kind of sandwich (or burger btw) that you'd get at a good diner/greasy-spoon, meaning once you pick it up you have to finish it. putting it back down would just make a huge mess. the steak was sort of in slabs & then it looked like it had been pulled apart & sauteed with (not surprisingly) mushrooms, onions, peppers so all the flavours intermingle, & then topped off with their sub sauce, lettuce & sliced tomato & on a lightly toasted (hot dog?) bun. simple idea but they got it perfect.

#39 zoeyboy

zoeyboy
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

The Blue Fox
YuM!

#40 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

This place used to be a standard for me, located on the corner of Courtenay & Gordon Streets. Today, they pissed me off for the last time.

You see, when you go in at noon, there is a display case full of freshly made (that morning) sandwiches. But if you go in closer to one, the selection is markedly diminished. I enjoy their roast beef & avocado sandwich and I've always been made to feel that they are doing me a huuuuuuuuuuge favour by making one up on the fly for me.

Let me remind you all here that this is a sandwich shop.

They have all of the accoutrements to make more sandwiches on the other side of the counter. Today, I was informed that I would wait until everyone else in line was served before he got to making my sandwich. Because the other two staff back there were way to busy cleaning to run the till or make a sandwich.

Ridiculous. And now banned for 2011.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users