Photo

Arbutus Cove Beach

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

We have lived near this beach since the move to Victoria, and been a few times. Our dog is now demanding water - she will swim out for any ball or stick. What I loved about this beach - the people. It is secluded, big stairs either end, some rocks to get over to the sand, and water runoff from the upper terraces providing some muddy transitions.

It is also a dog open beach - the whole length. That is wonderful. To have our dog off leash, joining in a pack, chasing balls into the water - chatting up with other people who were down for the incredible view - San Juan Islands.

Our 1 hour planned walk turned into 3 hours. Playing with dogs, kids and puddles, surf boards - this IS Victoria.

As VV has a software problem posting Picassa pics - here is a link to us on the beach.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

I'm a huge fan of Glencoe Cove park, near to you as well Mat.

Not a huge sandy beach, but a bit of that, plus lots of rock, driftwood, even cliffs to explore. Lots of tidal pools with fish and critters in them.

http://www.flickr.co...oriagridproject

Great place, and almost no one is ever there.

#3 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

I'm a huge fan of Glencoe Cove park, near to you as well Mat.

Not a huge sandy beach, but a bit of that, plus lots of rock, driftwood, even cliffs to explore. Lots of tidal pools with fish and critters in them.

http://www.flickr.co...oriagridproject

Great place, and almost no one is ever there.

Thanks VHF - we will check it out. My photos do not do justice on the activity on that day. There were families with picnics, kids wiping out on inline surf boards, toddlers jumping in puddles - and mainly, parents relaxing. That to me was the essence.

We ended up with a group of people who had dogs, kids, surf boards - drinks....sitting on a big log with 7 dogs ranging from labs to a small poodle and each of us taking turns to throw something into to the water to keep them occupied. Meanwhile the kids, including our own, are getting dirty in tide pools (and learning about it!) One lovely women took all the kids (5) for a 1/2 hr lesson on life in rock pools.

I can't say enough how wonderful this was - perfect beyond belief.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Here ya go. I used to skip out of university and take girlfriends here all the time:

http://www.gov.saani...rk.jsp?mapNo=51

It really is cool in my mind.

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

shhhh!

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like a nice day!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I haven't been to Arbutus Cove since high school (although that was only 3 years ago) but it was a top choice amongst my group of friends to hang out and avoid the huge crowds or parties.

#8 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

I haven't been to Arbutus Cove since high school (although that was only 3 years ago) but it was a top choice amongst my group of friends to hang out and avoid the huge crowds or parties.

It's an interesting microcosm of community appeal. Locals and regulars tend to keep an eye on activities, and there are enough houses overlooking from the cliff side that any untoward behaviour would be noted.

It is used allot by skim boarders, who are really good at watching out for kids an dogs at the waterline.

But as yodsaker noted "Shhhhh" - me bad for raving on about the place :D

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

It used to be quite the teen party place back in the 90's.

#10 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

My photos do not do justice on the activity on that day. There were families with picnics, kids wiping out on inline surf boards, toddlers jumping in puddles - and mainly, parents relaxing.

Looks like there was at least one person - guy in the striped shirt and ball cap - riding around on a chicken, also. You don't see that too often!;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users