tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

OMG NEWS ALERT!!!!!!

Rail lines require maintenance!!!!!! 

Who ever imagined this was needed?

</sarcasm>

I have seen some dumb things printed in the paper but this is right up at the top of the list. Yeah, if you abandon rail lines for years they need repair and here's a tip: they also require upgrading generally at least every century or so to keep up with changing technology.

• Coreyburger likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2282 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

Yeah that's kind of like the "we can't possibly expand the malahat, it goes through a mountain, its literally impossible" argument
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2283 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

In defence of the TC's running the letter and the photo, it is worth keeping track ;) of just how much the railbed has deteriorated in the eight years since the E&N stopped running. The next provincial study, due in December, should give us a much better idea of how much the repairs will cost, hopefully section by section.

The writer repeats the suggestion, constantly made up and down the route, that the E&N get turned into a trail. I'd like to see a study of how much THAT would cost. Removing all the rails and ties, rebuilding the railbed and paving it won't be cheap either. Governments like the cheapest option of all, which is letting the whole thing rot.

#2284 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

The writer repeats the suggestion, constantly made up and down the route, that the E&N get turned into a trail. I'd like to see a study of how much THAT would cost. 

Well to start with, it would "cost" some of the land which would be returned to First Nations in the event the rail line is forever decommissioned.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#2285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

At the Cascadia Rail Summit, enthusiasm to build a bullet train capable of going from Seattle to Portland — or to Vancouver — in one hour rubbed against an anti-tax message from the passage of Washington Initiative 976.

After bemoaning that the state's highways, bridges, ferries and rail cars "are on a glide path to failure," Washington Department of Transportation Secretary Roger Millar laid out the case for building an ultra-high-speed railway on dedicated track.

"As we regroup here in Washington state and think about investing $50 billion [US] in ultra-high-speed rail," Millar said, "Do you think we'll ever get to a place where highway expansion keeps up with economic expansion and population? It will not happen. It cannot happen."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...5356535?cmp=rss

#2286 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:37 AM

I’m pretty damn excited at the prospect. I understand a bullet train from Las Vegas to Victorville (outer fringe of Greater LA) was just approved. I’ve been travelling Europe by train for the last 6 weeks and it’s just so good. Paris to Bordeaux (590 km) in just over two hours. Quiet, smooth, affordable.
  • tedward and Victoria Watcher like this

#2287 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

I’m pretty damn excited at the prospect. I understand a bullet train from Las Vegas to Victorville (outer fringe of Greater LA) was just approved. I’ve been travelling Europe by train for the last 6 weeks and it’s just so good. Paris to Bordeaux (590 km) in just over two hours. Quiet, smooth, affordable.

That lines makes very little sense, and I see that Virgin is behind it. VIctorville may be in Greater LA, but it's like having the northern terminus of the Cascadia high speed train in Hope or Chilliwack instead of Vancouver.

• lanforod likes this

#2288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:47 AM

if you can shoot someone to vegas in 75 minutes plus make the train ride super fun and awesome maybe it works.

After initial studies for the bullet train, XpressWest revealed that Las Vegas is the sixth most visited city in the country and that 40% of those people travel to or from Southern California.

So far, travel details have not been confirmed, but for now a single trip is expected to cost around $60, while a round trip could cost travelers approximately $90 per person.

https://www.nbclosan...-559376961.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2019 - 08:49 AM.

#2289 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

if you can shoot someone to vegas in 75 minutes plus make the train ride super fun and awesome maybe it works.

https://www.nbclosan...-559376961.html

The issue isn't the train or its speed, the issue is the terminus. If you're going to Vegas, first you have to get to Victorville, which is 84 miles from downtown LA. That's an hour and a half driving or three to four hours on public transit according to Google. Your 75 minute train ride just doubled or tripled in duration with the commute included. Keep in mind that Victorville is already about 1/3rd of the way to Vegas from LA, and the worst of the driving is between LA and Victorville.

#2290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

if you can shoot someone to vegas in 75 minutes plus make the train ride super fun and awesome maybe it works...

I think this was tried in 1979 and lasted for less than 10 hours.  ;)

https://youtu.be/gUERtAe73NI

#2291 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

1976 in the midwest too.

https://youtu.be/5qPAOarQxaU

#2292 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

That lines makes very little sense, and I see that Virgin is behind it. VIctorville may be in Greater LA, but it's like having the northern terminus of the Cascadia high speed train in Hope or Chilliwack instead of Vancouver.

I totally agree that the train would be a far greater success if it actually connected the downtown cores of LA and Las Vegas. I guess it just comes down to the cost of land in the desert vs. the substantial cost through Greater LA. Overall I think the project's cost is supposed to be a tiny fraction of either the Cascadia route or the proposed SF-LA route and I hope it gets extended into downtown LA. The ease of connectivity between city centres and time savings is really what makes it work in Europe.

#2293 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:09 PM

#2294 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

Over $1.3 billion to get commuter rail going.

https://www.vicnews....-back-on-track/

The third phase would support even higher freight and passenger volumes and is optimal for the implementation of a commuter rail service, which has its own costs. This phase, including the costs of the two previous phases, would bring the total to $728,778,304.

Implementing commuter rail service would add an additional estimated $595,029,867. It would involve work such as signalling upgrades, land acquisition, a maintenance facility and phased improvements on the Victoria to Langford corridor.

#2295 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Might as well be $1.3 trillion. No one's going to be shelling out more than $1 billion to revive rail service on Vancouver Island.

#2296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,549 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:50 PM

Good lord, eh?

We might as well call this thing the Pipe Dream Express.
  • SimonH likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2297 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:11 PM

The first phase includes costs to upgrade infrastructure to re-establish freight and passenger service of about two to four passenger trains per day and two to four freight trains per day. This phase is estimated to cost $326,448,391

^ so only 300m for basically what we had before. What if we opened up huge swaths of land all along the route and sold to developers to fund the train?
  • Matt R. likes this

#2298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

it could be done.  almost all the corridor is 100 feet wide.

that's 36 million square feet from here to nanaimo.

at $75/foot that's $2.7B.  if the railway needs 50% then there is your $1.35B.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2020 - 05:30 PM.

#2299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,549 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

What exactly would we need to “freight?”

Coal? Gas? Sulphuric acid? A shipment of Nanaimo Bars? Like c’mon, this isn’t 1930.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2300 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

What exactly would we need to “freight?”

nothing really.

some people like to think we should send bulk/heating oil and gasoline and propane by rail to save a malahat crash.  but if we do that we need to build storage for it here.  who wants a tank farm?!  esquimalt?  view royal?  vic west?  come on.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 April 2020 - 05:37 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users