[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3073 replies to this topic

#2501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:57 AM

Just keep in mind that Langford, with 10% of the region's population, added 1/3 of all housing units between 2016 and 2021.

Without Langford, this region would monumentally screwed on the housing front. Anyone who thinks the situation is bad now has no idea what it would be like if Langford permitted housing at Saanich's rates, and that's what opponents to Stew Young want to do, they want to drastically reduce the supply of housing in Langford now that they're there and have their homes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 08:00 AM

...Anyone who thinks the situation is bad now has no idea what it would be like if Langford permitted housing at Saanich's rates...

How about at Oak Bay's rate?  :eek:

#2503 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 10:57 AM

Just keep in mind that Langford, with 10% of the region's population, added 1/3 of all housing units between 2016 and 2021.

Without Langford, this region would monumentally screwed on the housing front. Anyone who thinks the situation is bad now has no idea what it would be like if Langford permitted housing at Saanich's rates, and that's what opponents to Stew Young want to do, they want to drastically reduce the supply of housing in Langford now that they're there and have their homes.

What's odd is that the Capital Daily is trying to undo the housing that Langford is trying to provide, and in doing so, is trying to screw the entire region.

#2504 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 11:37 AM

I’m having trouble squaring that.

But fundamentally I t’s nimbyism. It’s just not the standard definition of nimbyism, which normally revolves around a high density project in the core that’s ostracized by baby boomers. Then it’s nimbyism.

If 20 and 30-somethings are rallying against housing because it’s not where they would like it to be, that’s considered urbanism, I guess?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2505 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 12:09 PM

I’m having trouble squaring that.

But fundamentally I t’s nimbyism. It’s just not the standard definition of nimbyism, which normally revolves around a high density project in the core that’s ostracized by baby boomers. Then it’s nimbyism.

If 20 and 30-somethings are rallying against housing because it’s not where they would like it to be, that’s considered urbanism, I guess?

Definitely still nimby-ism.

To me, it is preferred to have more infill and densification in the urban core than expanded suburbs. But we need all the supply of all types we can get, we're not really in a place to be picky. So unless Victoria, Esquimalt, Saanich, and Oak Bay suddenly decide to radically change policy and make it trivially easy to build lots of housing: Do your thing Langford.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 12:39 PM

Excellent. I agree.

And Langford, by distance, is no further than Gordon Head and Royal Oak, etc. It is technically just as much the 'core' as those areas are.

• Mattjvd likes this

Know it all.

#2507 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:53 PM

decpyno-5660d847-c67a-4cc3-bd4f-67c70f7d

Choo choo?

• splashflash and Mattjvd like this

#2508 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 12:27 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/n...train-1.6396327

Why the train may not be the greenest way to travel across Canada

If you're travelling somewhere between Windsor, Ont. and Quebec City in the corridor that includes Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, then yes, the train is probably it, according to Ryan Katz-Rosene, a University of Ottawa professor who studies sustainable transportation.

But if you're heading from Montreal to Halifax or Toronto to Vancouver, the emissions per train trip might shock you. 

"The numbers are crazy. They're super high," said Katz-Rosene.

Taking VIA's "Canadian" service from Toronto to Vancouver would generate 724 to 4,287 kilograms of CO2 per person. In comparison, an economy flight between those two cities would generate 464 to 767 kilograms of CO2 per person.

VIA's "Ocean" service between Montreal and Halifax generates 218 to 1,292 kilograms of CO2 per person, compared to 152 to 482 kilograms of CO2 per person for an economy flight.

Multiple people in an electric car (or bus) is the way to go, as those vehicles are already available.  Or stay home.

Edited by splashflash, 29 March 2022 - 12:28 PM.

#2509 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:05 AM

As the court imposed deadline to make a decision on if rail traffic will resume on Vancouver Island looms, the Island Corridor Foundation is making a business case for re-launching the service.

In September 2021, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled the federal government must make a decision in 18 months on whether rail service will resume, and if not, the land must be returned to the First Nations.

The idea to revive passenger rail between Victoria and Courtenay and Parksville to Port Alberni has been thrown around for years, but this time the Island Corridor Foundation has built a business plan, pitching a twice daily profitable service in addition to commuter rail between Langford and Victoria and calling it a now or never solution to Island transportation.

https://www.cheknews...r-rail-1032278/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2022 - 04:05 AM.

#2510 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:16 AM

The Island Corridor Foundation is ­seeking support from senior governments for a $431-million rail system that runs a passenger service between Courtenay and Victoria and carry freight.

Under the foundation’s newly released business plan, ­construction costs would be $381 million, with another $50 million needed to buy ­rolling stock. Money to set up the ­service and upgrade rail-corridor ­infrastructure would come from ­provincial and federal governments if they agree to support the plan.

The business case’s most conservative estimate for operating costs would put the service in a break-even position at the start, with anticipated revenues and costs bringing in operating profits.

It would be sustainable in the long term, said Larry Stevenson, chief ­executive of the non-profit foundation, which owns the corridor.

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2022.05.19-09_14_14.png

Annual operating costs would be $12.8 million, with revenue scenarios running from $12.7 million up to $23.4 million.

https://www.timescol...freight-5385573

I'm sure that photo will garner Songhees residents support.    :badpc: 

#2511 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:25 AM

It's cheaper than a replacement museum that no one wants or needs.

#2512 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:27 AM

In September 2021, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled the federal government must make a decision in 18 months on whether rail service will resume, and if not, the land must be returned to the First Nations.

It sounds like a move to revive the rail will lead to depriving First Nations of the land, so I'm sure that's not going to happen.

#2513 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:33 AM

I am impressed that the ICF now feels that construction costs will be about 1/2 of what they pitched a few years back. I guess that is deflation at work.

I understand that they plan to save money on operating costs by having the trains solar powered until they reach top speed and then wind power takes over making the runs carbon negative as recaptured energy is then used to power guest cell phones and laptops.

#2514 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:40 AM

Only to be crushed when a battalion of diesel buses pick up passengers to transport them into downtown.

Know it all.

#2515 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:48 AM

What are the current traffic counts over the Malahat?

I presume it'll be at least 2028 before they return to 2019 levels.

#2516 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:18 PM

I am impressed that the ICF now feels that construction costs will be about 1/2 of what they pitched a few years back. I guess that is deflation at work.

I understand that they plan to save money on operating costs by having the trains solar powered until they reach top speed and then wind power takes over making the runs carbon negative as recaptured energy is then used to power guest cell phones and laptops.

A 2020 report by a consultant for the province set out a range of scenarios for restoring rail service on the Island. The priciest option would have cost $729 million for Victoria to Courtenay, with a leg to Port Alberni. Adding Langford-Victoria commuter rail would increase the cost by another $595 million.

#2517 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:33 PM

A 2020 report by a consultant for the province set out a range of scenarios for restoring rail service on the Island. The priciest option would have cost $729 million for Victoria to Courtenay, with a leg to Port Alberni. Adding Langford-Victoria commuter rail would increase the cost by another $595 million.

That 2020 report is highly suspect especially since Horgan ordered it and ignored the 4 other reports.  You could double or triple the MOTI IBI study and still come in at a fraction of that cost.

• LJ likes this

#2518 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

There is not going to be rail traffic period!

ICF is just clutching at straws now.

How about approving it as long as the ICF makes up any shortfalls in construction/operation.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2519 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:43 PM

A 2020 report by a consultant for the province set out a range of scenarios for restoring rail service on the Island. The priciest option would have cost $729 million for Victoria to Courtenay, with a leg to Port Alberni. Adding Langford-Victoria commuter rail would increase the cost by another $595 million.[/size]

Conveniently reducing the contingency while,

- steel prices up
https://www.tradingv...bols/SET-STEEL/
- lumber prices up
https://tradingecono...ommodity/lumber

Ridership projections by the ICF are significantly higher than those of the 2020 South Island Transportation Study and E&N Railway Evaluation Study. This despite transit ridership still down in the wake of COVID.

Looks like another disaster like the fast ferries or Mirbel Airport if it somehow were approved.

#2520 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,226 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:48 PM

Bah! That’s the cost of one museum!

Edited by dasmo, 19 May 2022 - 08:49 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users