Photo

[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3103 replies to this topic

#1821 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

What about the number of people already using transit?

http://www12.statcan...l/tbl1a-eng.cfm

Population aside, Victoria may numerically already have more transit users than greater Kitchener does.. (yay?)

Fair enough but there higher population gives them more revenue to work with and also greater potential for growth in users with a rapid transit.
Side note, satisfying to see that Calgary has higher transit use than us

#1822 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Fair enough but there higher population gives them more revenue to work with and also greater potential for growth in users with a rapid transit.
Side note, satisfying to see that Calgary has higher transit use than us

That is also 6 year old data. New data for 2016 comes out in 4 days.

#1823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Oh, is that data coming out for all transit systems?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1824 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Oh, is that data coming out for all transit systems?

That is Census journey to work, which is all CMAs across the country. And it includes all modes

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#1825 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

So.... those that support this idea, do you have an estimate of the number of locomotives and passenger cars that will serve this run?

And when they get to Vic West, how do they get out of the way for the next train arriving?  Use the double-track portion from the Roundhouse to Tyee?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 November 2017 - 10:01 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1826 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

And when they get to Vic West, how do they get out of the way for the next train arriving?  Use the double-track portion from the Roundhouse to Tyee?

Yes the double and triple tracks and the turn-table which wouldn't take much to get it operational.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1827 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Yes the double and triple tracks and the turn-table which wouldn't take much to get it operational.

The turntable is going to be decommissioned as part of the Roundhouse plan I think.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1828 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

The turntable is going to be decommissioned as part of the Roundhouse plan I think.

It looks like the turntable could become a performance stage that might revolve to allow the audience a rail car extravaganza,  as well as maybe turning the odd steam engine around.  :thumbsup:

turntable.jpg

http://victoria.citi...tplace/#gallery

#1829 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:45 PM

So I listened to someone today on CFAX about converting the E&N to multiuse (which means single use as in non motorized).  

Now to be fair, they are proposing this be done north of Langford.  This was not at all clear in the CFAX interview, especially when a caller promoted the use of the E&N for bike commuting to alleviate downtown CoV road rage and everyone agreed (as if someone will be biking into Victoria from Duncan each day).

My personal view is that the costs of using the E&N for commuting need to be compared to the current taxpayer subsidies per rider after administration and regional transit budgets are added for a single "all in" fee for a bus trip from Langford.  That's what a train/LRT fare is judged against.

You also need to compare infrastructure costs that would be needed, such as dedicated bus lanes over the Malihat, or blasting a new highway though the other side of Goldstream, through the watershed. 

For the rest of the E&N line....beyond Duncan....I don't know how feasible rail or a walk/bike path is.  It would be analogous of a bike path from Vienna Austria to Budapest Hungary for crying out loud.  How much will that cost to pave and maintain?  Given our rainy weather, how much will it be used?  Can it even be used for rail?

#1830 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

The E&N Trail has already been under construction.

https://www.crd.bc.c.../e-n-rail-trail

https://vibrantvicto...nada-en/page-44

...and starting here at post 402   https://vibrantvicto...nada-en/page-21

#1831 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:42 AM

TC:

Editorial: E&N line needs new approach

http://www.timescolo...oach-1.23105954

Since passenger rail service ended on the E&N line in 2011, the Island Corridor Foundation has insisted it could be restored with $20.9 million in repairs.

Now the foundation has new numbers. Restoring the line from Victoria to Nanaimo would cost $42.7 million, the foundation says, more than twice its earlier budget for the entire E&N. Fixing the rail lines from Nanaimo to Port Alberni and Courtenay would cost another $52.4 million.

#1832 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

The E&N Trail has already been under construction.

https://www.crd.bc.c.../e-n-rail-trail

https://vibrantvicto...nada-en/page-44

...and starting here at post 402   https://vibrantvicto...nada-en/page-21

Indeed.The trail will be finished from Langford the JSB in two years save for Jacklin to Humpback Rds - the gap in Langford should be filled in 2018 and the gap to the JSB filled in 2019.

• Bingo likes this

#1833 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Sigh! And so it goes, on and on and on and on. No foresight, no planning and execution for long-term growth, only short shortsightedness, dwelling on costs and band aid fixes and lots and lots of studies and discussions.  The Island is GROWING folks and if this doesn't get done now we're in for major, major gridlock in the years ahead. Subsidize this to the max so that people will use it, make it comfortable and pleasant so that people will use it, make it convenient so people will use it and then people WILL use it.  I shake my head at the lack of political and economical will to take this project forward.  Go to eastern Canada and check out the subsidized rail and LRT services there....we are SO behind the times and we just languish in our own stick-in-the mud, time wasting rhetoric, while the rest of the country forges ahead.

#1834 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

What isolated area in the east with well under 1m population has extensive rail networks?  Halifax to Truro?  One train per day.

Via Rail only has 19 routes.

I'd rather fund a bridge to the Mainland.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 December 2017 - 02:20 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Halifax tried to get a commuter rail line going but they determined buses were the better option.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1836 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Would I be wrong in suggesting the Island Corridor Foundation should get out of the way?

#1837 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

Here is the latest precient comment on the E & N
Railway in the TC.

http://www.timescolo...ause-1.23110900

This would actually fit better in the locked E & N Railway (VIA Rail) topic thread.

#1838 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

He is talking about trains not TRAMS!

#1839 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

He is talking about trains not TRAMS!

What do you mean by "tram"?   Unless you want to string up electrical power, whatever carries passengers on this track will have to be diesel powered.  It's not going to be "light" be any real definition.  And at the very least, you will have to run smaller "yard" type engines on the track to go get disabled trains and haul them back to a repair yard that does not exist etc.  You need to be able to haul stuff over the Malahat to Naniamo to be able to service stuff on the Mainland.  That's one of the reasons you can not just concentrate on the Langford to Victoria portion.   You have to go get trains and other rolling stock via Nanaimo.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 December 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#1840 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

What do you mean by "tram"? Unless you want to string up electrical power, whatever carries passengers on this track will have to be diesel powered. It's not going to be "light" be any real definition. And at the very least, you will have to run smaller "yard" type engines on the track to go get disabled trains and haul them back to a repair yard that does not exist etc. You need to be able to haul stuff over the Malahat to Naniamo to be able to service stuff on the Mainland. That's one of the reasons you can not just concentrate on the Langford to Victoria portion. You have to go get trains and other rolling stock via Nanaimo.

The aim here is to allow condos along the corridor and a gian blob of high density in the west hills not to move goods. We can also move past the 50’s and look at a modern design. It’s called CFO trams. And before you call for self driving car route, that is not compatible as a shared path. Vehicles on tracks are. http://primove.bomba...tions/tram.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users