Photo

[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
1877 replies to this topic

#1861 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

Exactly AND Stew also loves this because it would connect high density there to downtown Langford too. Or what will be downtown Langford. Plus he doesn’t have to pay for it since it’s political gold.

#1862 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

What do you mean? In less than one hour this morning I drew up plans for housing in 4 different municipalities. That’s efficiency.

Compared especially to those $3.3M Crystal Pool plans.

Too bad all of the prime development spots along the E&N have already been optioned!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1863 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

Too bad all of the prime development spots along the E&N have already been optioned!

I have no idea what that means, but those holding options will exercise them or sell them at some point.

You mean that hundreds or I guess thousands of individual SFD homeowners along the rail have signed over open-ended conditional sales agreements?  Most new dense development along the line will actually have to come with the removal of SFDs.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 December 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#1864 spanky123

spanky123
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

^What I am suggesting is that the potential reason why several groups have invested so much in studies and lobbying to get rail off of the ground is because they have options on land that would suddenly become much more valuable if the line was revived and stations set up close by.

You don't need thousands of SFD homeowners. I would guess that any property not close to a station would go down in value due to the noise and added danger of having an active rail line nearby.

#1865 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

You don't need thousands of SFD homeowners. I would guess that any property not close to a station would go down in value due to the noise and added danger of having an active rail line nearby.

That's not the skytrain experience.  That's where all the density is happening.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 December 2017 - 09:11 AM.

• dasmo likes this

#1866 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Damn! Me and VHF standing side by side!
Once again not a barreling thundering coal train but an electric TRAM that can get you downtown in 20 minutes stress free.... in the rest of the world this elevates property values.

Edited by dasmo, 06 December 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#1867 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I agree that it's quiet and vibration is not an issue with a proper track bed.  

#1868 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Oh battery powered trams. That might work.

https://www.globalma...ve.php?id=15973

The catenary-free systems offer various benefits compared to conventional systems. Some of the key benefits include:

Low-visual intrusion: In the central business district (CBD) and locations with historic or tourist importance, catenary-free systems allow better visibility and improved aesthetics. For example, in Florence (Italy), catenary-free systems have been deployed in the CBD. Cuenca (Ecuador), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is deploying catenary-free technologies to preserve its architectural heritage. Many cities, such as Zaragoza in Spain, have launched hybrid systems, where tram section in the CBD is catenary-free while other sections source power from overhead catenary.

Reduced cost of overhead infrastructure: Catenary-free technologies reduce the construction cost, lifetime maintenance cost as well as costs associated with design and approval of the system. At present, the cost of installing catenary-free systems is high because these technologies are still new but these are expected to lower in future with increased competition among suppliers.

Design flexibility: Catenary-free operations allow more flexibility in rolling stock design because many conditions (such as specified headroom and tram height) are relaxed.

Reduced power usage: Certain catenary-free technologies, such as super capacitor systems, allow power savings of up to 20 per cent by using power from regenerative breaking. In the long-run, these savings translate into significant operating cost reduction for the operators.

Edited by dasmo, 06 December 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#1869 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

By our own Bombardier

http://primove.bombardier.com/

5302_L_cropped.jpg

Edited by dasmo, 06 December 2017 - 09:46 AM.

• Baro, tedward and On the Level like this

#1870 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 598 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

OK, the railway is somewhere around where my squiggle is.

But you could take a branch line or two right into Stew's forest here.

For scale, that whack of forest there is about the size of Saanich.

CRD Watershed, Sooke Hills Regional Park Reserve, Mount Wells Regional park pretty much covers the entire aerial photo ... there isn't going to be any development of note taking place anywhere in this photo.

With the CRD's odd protection instinct for the Watershed (of which the Park Reserve is really part of, just with a different name), folks just need to start forgetting this forest area is even here. The Reserve is largely closed to the public ... the Watershed IS closed to the public, and whatever is open to the public is such rough country that it's "hiking only".

IMO ... there will never be anything built in here.,

#1871 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

West Hills still has a huge amount of future development land so that’s not true.

#1872 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 598 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

West Hills still has a huge amount of future development land so that’s not true.

Well I wouldn't call it "huge" relative to the area in the photograph, but I would definitely point out that I didn't make any note of the West Hills development in my post ... I said CRD Watershed, Sooke Reserve, and Mount Wells Park would never see anything built within ... which they won't.

Do you truly believe that I don't see the West Hills development in that aerial photograph? ... or do you think I don't actually know that its even "a thing"?

I guess you could, but it doesn't make much sense that you would.

#1873 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

“... there isn't going to be any development of note taking place anywhere in this photo.”
The photo includes all of West Hills so I stand by my interpretation of your comment of not being true.
But I understand now that you didn’t mean that. It’s VHF’s fault he was zoomed out too far. Let’s blame him.

Edited by dasmo, 06 December 2017 - 06:41 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#1874 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

It’s VHF’s fault he was zoomed out too far. Let’s blame him.

:wub:

#1875 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 598 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

“... there isn't going to be any development of note taking place anywhere in this photo.”
The photo includes all of West Hills so I stand by my interpretation of your comment of not being true.
But I understand now that you didn’t mean that. It’s VHF’s fault he was zoomed out too far. Let’s blame him.

Well, I'll give you that when the words and pictures don't match ... the comment becomes somewhat diluted :)

#1876 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

It’s VHF’s fault he was zoomed out too far. Let’s blame him.

Don't even go there with VHF if it's anything to do with photography.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#1877 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,704 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hey now!

#1878 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Don't even go there with VHF if it's anything to do with photography.

Actually he has a knack for subdivision design work that rivals the photography.  :thumbsup:

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users