[Rail] Commuter rail

• Please log in to reply
3103 replies to this topic

#1961 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

Bus lanes on the highway will not trigger high density in the West Hills.... Plus, they ARE at the expense of vehicle traffic. We need to open this other artery!

This artery has very little capacity.  I think a single bus lane has 2 or 4x the capacity.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 April 2018 - 12:40 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1962 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

BCT did extensive open houses, public surveys, etc when coming up with the new routing.

The online surveys presented several options, including the one that was decided on.

Seems to be that it was favored by most. Did you participate?

Public transit is never going to be as efficient as taking a car, cab, etc. It's going to work well for some, and not as well for others.

Bollocks to their so-called "outreach."  I rode the 3 for years and only learned of the extensive changes to their routing after it was announced.  Other riders were equally surprised.  Despite this experience being anecdotal, as a core customer who is pretty well informed, I would suggest it a communications fail on the part of BC Transit.

• tedward likes this

#1963 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Bus lanes on the highway will not trigger high density in the West Hills.... Plus, they ARE at the expense of vehicle traffic. We need to open this other artery!

By the looks of it the bus lane under construction along the TCH is a brand new lane.

The solutions to our so-called infrastructure "problems" are extremely simple. We don't need to be building billion dollar LRT lines, moving forward with E&N boondoggles or anything else that complicated or costly. We just need a couple of interchanges and a restoration of traffic lanes where they've been taken away in the name of municipal arrogance, and a few bus lanes. Problems literally solved.

Just wait and see how effective those bus lanes will be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1964 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Bollocks to their so-called "outreach."  I rode the 3 for years and only learned of the extensive changes to their routing after it was announced.  Other riders were equally surprised.  Despite this experience being anecdotal, as a core customer who is pretty well informed, I would suggest it a communications fail on the part of BC Transit.

I disagree. There were service alerts on the website, and notices posted in busses. There was also coverage in the Times Colonist, CHEK & Victoria News - among others.

What more would you expect? Door to door canvassers?

• Cats4Hire likes this

#1965 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

For the TCH and Douglas St the bus lanes are not at the expense of regular traffic lanes - they are/will be brand new additional lanes.

Not sure about Old Island Highway though from TCH to Colwood Corners. That might be a different story.

#1966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

I disagree. There were service alerts on the website, and notices posted in busses. There was also coverage in the Times Colonist, CHEK & Victoria News - among others.

What more would you expect? Door to door canvassers?

Well, clearly the message didn't get out if Bub Fugger wasn't made aware. Now, granted, many folks would never read those publications or watch those newscasts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1967 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Bus only lanes seem like a waste of road capacity.  I understand that you can move a much higher density of people along than SOVs, but you still have a lot of capacity between each bus. Of course, you can't just have it be an additional general lane because it will just instantly absorb to capacity and the bus is still stuck.

What if you could limit the number of cars that could share the bus lane to avoid the tragedy of the commons, i.e. make it not the commons?

Possible options:

1) Pay-to-play.  Sheer capitalism.  Sell (auction?) a limited number of permits that allow the driver to share to share the bus lane. Permit follows individual whether they are driving their own, someone else's or are a passenger in any vehicle.

2) Mix bus and commercial traffic.  There is often a sentiment that the lifeblood of Victoria businesses is getting squeezed along with all other non-lifeblood traffic, so let the delivery trucks also use the bus lane.

3) License Plate Odd/Even.  Depending on your plate, you get to the use the lane some days, some days not.

Of course you would need a curb to prevent cars from popping in and out of the lane to get around the bus - the risk of sharing the lane is following the bus.

#1968 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

An HOV designation will be phase two of all of this, I’m sure. First priority is to see what happens when the buses have their own lane.

Baby steps :)

Know it all.

#1969 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Are bus lanes for transit buses only, or can all buses use those lanes? i.e. coach buses, school buses, etc.

In Montreal, many of the bus lanes are also open to taxis.

#1970 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Buses aren't as "efficient" as compared to trains as everyone likes to believe.  They are outrageously inefficient with bus passes recovering a lousy 3% of the fare ("Victoria Region Transit System Overview", delivered last April).  

That 3% doesn't include trying to cover the cost of the bus lanes, but somehow rail needs to include rail line costs.  They also don't include capital costs for $37M per year for new buses, but of course, rail needs to cover the cost of rolling stock.

Bus lanes will help, but they don't target the commuters that aren't interested in stopping at every few blocks.  No slowdowns, no traffic lights, no nonsense.  One of the reason that the westcoast express is so successful and pays for itself.  

I am not assuming that rail will pay for itself here, but I believe it can beat  the lousy 3% recovery of buses.

#1971 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Are you sure it's just 3%?

Know it all.

#1972 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

You are looking at the BC bus pass (for the disabled etc., the province gives money to the operator) share, 3%.  Farebox cash and monthly passes is like 28%.

Very roughly it's 1/3 fares, 1/3 municipal (on your property tax), 1/3 provincial.  Some gas tax (10%?).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 April 2018 - 08:42 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1973 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

https://www.crd.bc.c...ew.pdf?sfvrsn=4

See page 19.

Bus passes are 3%.

Fares and advertising (nice globbing there) are 26.6%

So no, it's not like bus passengers are only paying 3% of the operating costs.

#1974 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

It's not. https://bctransit.co.../facts/victoria

Fares are 28.8 %

#1975 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

I stand corrected...bus passes are 3%....still horrible cost recovery though.  How much is "advertising" and how much is "fares" and why did they not separate them? Is it 20%?....we won't know.  It doesn't cover bus lanes, bus stops, buses etc.  Slide 19 of the report...and from 2015/16.

Attached Images

• VRT_19.JPG

Edited by On the Level, 16 April 2018 - 08:51 PM.

#1976 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

I stand corrected...bus passes are 3%....still horrible cost recovery though.  How much is "advertising" and how much is "fares" and why did they not separate them? Is it 20%?....we won't know.  It doesn't cover bus lanes, bus stops, buses etc.  Slide 19 of the report...

Advertising is almost nothing, as per the other link - 700k.

#1977 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

That’s the provincial (subsidized) bus pass, that’s not the bus pass general riders purchase.

Know it all.

#1978 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

That’s the provincial (subsidized) bus pass, that’s not the bus pass general riders purchase.

So that is covered in "fares"

#1979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

Oh yeah, so when I rode the bus the other day EVERY ad on the inside was government, post-secondary education or social service related. Every single one.

Know it all.

#1980 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

So it 28.8%

https://bctransit.co.../facts/victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users