The Residences at Utopia
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 2871 Jacklin Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Residences at Utopia is a 90-unit, four-storey woodframe mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Residences at Utopia on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] The Residences at Utopia | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

195560[/URL]]

Do they not know they can specify something else? Do they simply not care? Perhaps they don't know that such features as soft-close drawers are even available.

Just as a heads up...... all included drawers and cabinetry doors have soft-close hardware as a standard feature at Utopia ......cheers JRB

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Yes you are correct the condenser is mounted on the deck side railing and the exchanger is mounted above the patio door . The capacity of the Mitsubishi "Mr. Slim" heat pumps are matched to the units size range, they are whisper quiet, provide allergen filtered air and are individually programmed to heat or cool one unit only....cheers JRB

Forgive me for being a pedantic know-it-all, but shouldn't there be an indoor exchanger in each major room?

Or will the bedrooms have electric baseboard heating too?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Just as a heads up...... all included drawers and cabinetry doors have soft-close hardware as a standard feature at Utopia ......cheers JRB

I think it's great that you're going above and beyond "standard" for condos in that price range. Hands down it's a great value and not something normally seen in these condo developments :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

We had 2x 80 gallons for 63 suites where I lived, seemed to work. Gas fired, so obviously much faster than electric.

The only problem is when a circulation pump seizes up and everyone's having to microwave their bath water at 6am.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

The only problem is when a circulation pump seizes up and everyone's having to microwave their bath water at 6am.

My microwave was not big enough to have a bath in. I'd say it was the size of two cats, maximum.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Just make sure you keep it on low power then... Gerbil in a microwave | JoeCartoon

#47 JRB

JRB
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

196196[/URL]]Forgive me for being a pedantic know-it-all, but shouldn't there be an indoor exchanger in each major room?

Or will the bedrooms have electric baseboard heating too?

Good point ......Yes the bedrooms have elec. baseboard heat ......leave the bed door open you have a cooled air/con bedroom in summer.....close the door set the baseboard thermostat low and you have a cooler bedroom in winter .....the tile floors in all the bathrooms are all elect. heated and controlled by programmable thermostats. The design of the floor plans creates open living dining and kitchen spaces eliminating hallways in these units to create spaciousness and optimize this type of heat pump's performance
.......cheers JRB

#48 Snake

Snake
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Seeing as this thread lead me to take a look at Utopia, I figured I'd best come back and post my thoughts and comments.

I have to say these units impressed me. I went a couple of weeks ago and Denise gave me a tour of the property and units.

These units are finished to the max. There is a lot of attention to detail, and it really pays off. The units look awesome, they have an excellent use of space (no annoying hallways to connect rooms). Everything is off of the main living area. Denise has managed to make 750sq ft look like 1000.

The decks are massive, the heat pump is a neat idea, everything is finished very nicely. I went looking at a few other more expensive units at other builds later that weekend and I found myself comparing it to the Utopia and finding that many of them came up short.

There are a few concerns with it though: hallways seemed narrow and claustrophobic, very few covered parking spots (at a cost of $10k extra), the lofts had small windows on a high wall and made the kitchen feel really low, and the options were limited.

Well, I should clarify the last point. There were a lot of different finishings of floors, cabinets, counter tops, etc.. but the finishings I liked were not in any of the unit types that I liked. The majority have a clean room finish, but only one unit type had the one I liked. It was really unfortunate.

Oh well, they are very nice units. If you can settle on the options they have, they are very nice units and some really good prices. If you haven't seen them, you should. They will surprise you (especially if you think 750 sqft has to be small).

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

^Have you looked at the Fairwynd by the Colwood Golf Course.

I went through them a couple of weeks ago and thought they were very well built.

Quite soundproof with 2" concrete flooring, double offset walls etc.

http://www.realtor.c...Key=-1344342274
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

2" concrete flooring, double offset walls etc.

That's just minimum code and does little for noise control.

Here's what 2" of concrete gets you: http://www.youtube.c...GvOLS6UyG0&hd=1

#51 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

^Well I didn't see the point of the video, audio would have sufficed, and that is one noisy washing machine. Mine doesn't make that much noise standing next to it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

I took it with the camera and had to host it somewhere, Youtube being the easiest - hence the video.

Concrete doesn't really become much of a sound barrier until the 6" mark, and even then you still need other materials to control higher frequency noise. Since a wood frame building simply has a thin layer of concrete floating over wood, vibrations travel right through to the suite below quite easily. Not only do you have sound radiating through the ceiling, but you also get "flanking" noise where the vibrations travel down through walls.

And yes, that is a noisy washing machine. I'm still waiting on him to accept my invite to come and listen to it. Maybe he won't run it at ungodly hours if he heard it downstairs.

#53 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

That's just minimum code and does little for noise control.

Here's what 2" of concrete gets you: Washer - YouTube

1.5", not 2" of concrete is for fire rating, not sound, and every wood frame multi unit has it for code.

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm aware it's for fire protection and not sound. And looking at the way mine is poured I thought it was 1.5" as well.

Either way, people shouldn't read "concrete" and automatically assume it does anything for soundproofing.

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I braved the start of rush hour at 2pm today to look at the Utopia Show suite.

The sign said open from 4-6.

This should be on the website.

#56 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I like the layout of some of the units. I'm looking for a condo that's 1.5 bedroom but all I can find are 2 full bedroom units. I don't actually need a 2nd bedroom, just a 2nd room for an office/hobby room. I'm fine with a little 6x8' room with no window. Not fine with living way out in the burbs though.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#57 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I don't know about the inside but the exterior has very poor aesthetics. There is no contrast between any of the materials. I love corrugated metal, I have it on my house, but it is fairly neutral and just gets lost in the beige stucco, dark beige stucco, and darker beige stucco.

“Building Utopia has been one of the most difficult undertakings of my life,” says first-time condo developer Denise Wilson."

When you call something Utopia you would expect it would be difficult. Not many people attempt to create "Utopia" their first time out though.

#58 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Outdoor, mostly uncovered parking too...

I don't blame the new designer for that as the foundations were all poured back in the days of "The Orono on Jacklin".

Considering Langford gets more rain and snow than Victoria I'm not so sure this is a good thing.

#59 Daniel

Daniel
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

anyone knows who financed the "Utopia", any idea?

#60 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

^ Somehow I missed welcoming you a year and a half ago Daniel when you made your first post. So welcome to vibrantvictoria.

How is your restaurant going?

I know the developers of the Utopia but it would be untoward to ask them who they may have borrowed their construction funds from. Sometimes that's personal, and sometimes the bank will post a proud sign on the site saying "financed by."

You could always search the title (or a number of titles) to see who has a builders mortgage on the property.

Do you mind if I ask you why you are interested in knowing?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users