Sandy beaches in the CRD

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Let's get a list going of sandy beaches in the region. There are lots of pebbly beaches, of course, but I'm after sand! Sand!

A favourite for skimboarding is Witty's Lagoon. At low tide the beach is reminiscent of the beaches in Parksville and, yes, if the temp is high enough, you can swim in the ocean water for lengthy periods.

Another is the main beach in East Sooke Park. It's got good sand, but the sun doesn't shine for much of the mid-afternoon because of the foliage on the bluff above the beach.

The easy ones are Gonzalez (in Fairfield at the foot of Foul Bay Rd) and Willows in Oak Bay (along Beach Dr.) on the heels of Uplands.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Cordova Bay is pretty sandy, Sidney Spit...

#3 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

What about that beach with the giant octopus and other giant sea creatures that kids play on.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

What about that beach with the giant octopus and other giant sea creatures that kids play on.

Gyro Park???

#5 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Gyro Park???

Thanks, that's the one.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

My dog and I both love Gyro Park. :D

#7 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Not sure if it's CRD, but my favorite sandy beach on the south island is Mystic Beach. It's about a half hour hike from the China beach parking lot. Beautiful sand, nice rolling waves and a waterfall that plunges directly on to the sand!.. wow.

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

Esquimalt Lagoon is the one behind Juan de Fuca Rec off Ocean Boulevard, near the Fisgard Lighthouse, no? That has a nice sandy beach.

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

There is no beach but Gonzales beach. Best sand in the city. I build sand-castles and I'm very picky about sand quality. It's right on a bus route or a 10 min walk from my house so I love the place. Very sheltered and good for swimming or pool-toy boating.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Gonzales is a victim of its own success. It's a favourite spot for younger crowd. Unfortunately, that means a lot of drinking. (Listen to me. I sound like an old man.) While I don't mind people drinking in public, I do have a problem with people pissing all over the place and bottles left broken on the sand for feet to step on.
Seems to be a favourite spot for some junkies as well. My toddler was walking barefoot in the grassy area overlooking the beach and missed a open needle by inches. Although it may be a bit unfair, it has scarred my impression of the place forever.

I was told I should keep this one quiet when I mentioned it in another thread, but I just can't keep my trap shut: Hollydene Park in Gordon Head is quiet nice. Fine white sandy beach, emerald waters that are somewhat bearable to swim if you're brave enough.

The beach at Mount Doug Park is pretty nice. On the south side of the path leading to it there are some fine sandy spots during low tide. Great place to bring your dog all year round.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hollydene is awesome. I didn't realize it was a neighbourhood "secret," though ;)

Only problem with the east facing beaches is the sun can get obscured faster than south or west facing beaches.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

My dog and I both love Gyro Park. :D

Isn't that beach closed to dogs for the summer?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

I avoid a lot of beaches in the summer as they are too crowded with people.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

The beach area to the east of the storm drain is always open for dogs. The beach in front of the playground is closed to dogs from May to Sept (think those are the correct months) - and the playground area is dog free all year.

What I heard from a parks supervisor last year was the dog friendly beaches are by far the most utilized all year. In the summer the closed areas can be relatively quiet, while the dog friendly zones are packed.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

The beach area to the east of the storm drain is always open for dogs. The beach in front of the playground is closed to dogs from May to Sept (think those are the correct months) - and the playground area is dog free all year.

What I heard from a parks supervisor last year was the dog friendly beaches are by far the most utilized all year. In the summer the closed areas can be relatively quiet, while the dog friendly zones are packed.

Good to know, thanks! (Not that I have a dog)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

There are a few good ones in Cordova Bay, I enjoy Sayward Beach off Parker Road.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

http://www.timescolo...1164/story.html

Here we are on the edge of the Pacific, the largest body of water in creation, yet Victoria might as well be Regina by the way some people live. The rest of the country would kill to live on the sea, yet some of us treat it like a backdrop at best.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Island View....

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

Colwood council has decided to keep a 400-metre section of Ocean Boulevard along Lagoon Beach closed until the end of September — even though the city’s own survey found 61 per cent of capital region residents want it open to traffic.

In a statement Wednesday, Colwood said the continued closure of the section will allow the city to explore its options on how the area can be used and improved.

https://www.timescol...mmer-1.24159623

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

Press release: https://www.colwood....ts-and-visitors

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users