91.3 The Zone

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

Zone 91.3 was "on location" this past Friday at a business near my office. As I walked up to check out the fuss, I noticed the yellow Zone SUV had its lights on and so I mentioned it to Sarah P. "Nope, the lights aren't on, the truck is running." I thought she was kidding, but sure enough the truck was idling in order to power the speakers on its roof. So as the Zone's younger DJ's play up the part of concerned citizens when it comes to enviro issues, their very own Zone Rangers idle an SUV for hours as they promote local businesses.

I mean, c'mon, can't they bring a boombox and place it on or near the display table? The SUV's rooftop speakers didn't sound all that great, anyways, and unless the promotional environment is particularly boisterous the speakers can't even be used to their full potential.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

I mean, c'mon, can't they bring a boombox and place it on or near the display table? The SUV's rooftop speakers didn't sound all that great, anyways, and unless the promotional environment is particularly boisterous the speakers can't even be used to their full potential.

You'd think that they could power the speakers with some solar panels and their own sense of self-satisfaction in that they are not hurting Mother Earth.

And for that matter, why does a radio station need an SUV? Does the Zone do a lot of guerilla reporting from the bush? Do they need to switch-on-the-fly their 4x4 to mow through a mosh pit?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Do they need to switch-on-the-fly their 4x4 to mow through a mosh pit?

Yes. Yes they do ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Umm yes. Victoria may be tame in many ways but our mosh pits are definitely 4X4 material.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Should have called the anti-idling police on them...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Umm yes. Victoria may be tame in many ways but our mosh pits are definitely 4X4 material.

Not to mention the hazards of mall parking lots.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

That does it! I'm switching to CFUV!
In chains by Keynes

#8 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

hey Mike, thank you for the heads up. I have fired this thread over to the powers that be to hopefully enact some positive changes.

As for the "need' of an SUV... The Zone is a very busy promotional machine and our beast is filled to the gills with broadcast equipment. The Nissan Xterra is an awesome car and I personally wouldn't trade it (well maybe for a hybrid when the economy improves).

#9 Sara P

Sara P
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hey Mike,

This has been an issue we've been trying to resolve since getting the new stereo in the Zone Xterra a few months ago. Trust me, it's been bugging me since we got it. I remember you pointing it out to me the other day, and it solidified that running the stereo doesn't justify idling the vehicle. We will no longer be doing this...if we need to run the roof speakers for an extended period of time we will occasionally start the vehicle to boost the battery.

Thanks for bringing this to...well, someone's attention.

Cheers!

Sara P
Program Director
The Zone @ 91-3, Modern Rock

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

There ya go Mike, a couple of good radio folks that are willing to listen. I can testify they need a vehicle capable of holding all their equip., they pack a lot in it when I have hired them to be on location.

#11 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hey Mike,

This has been an issue we've been trying to resolve since getting the new stereo in the Zone Xterra a few months ago. Trust me, it's been bugging me since we got it. I remember you pointing it out to me the other day, and it solidified that running the stereo doesn't justify idling the vehicle. We will no longer be doing this...if we need to run the roof speakers for an extended period of time we will occasionally start the vehicle to boost the battery.

Thanks for bringing this to...well, someone's attention.

Cheers!

Sara P
Program Director
The Zone @ 91-3, Modern Rock

Well done Mike, Jeremy and Sara. (thanks GMan)

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

^Don't forget Jeremy:)

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

Wow, that was very responsive!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Whoa, that's pretty cool, Sara :)

Know it all.

#15 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Jeremy didn't mention it in his post but he talked about the whole thing on-air tonight and mentioned the site a couple of times. As a long time member here, him mentioning Vibrant Victoria on the radio kind of got my attention so you might get more than just Sarah and Jeremy signing up.

Regardless, welcome radio people!
In chains by Keynes

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Well that's pretty cool of them to give us a mention on air! Thanks Sara and Jeremy!

This illustrates the advantage of local radio stations. We couldn't expect the same kind of response from somewhere out of Seattle or Vancouver.

#17 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

^Who's planning to dismantle local radio?
In chains by Keynes

#18 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

^Who's planning to dismantle local radio?

Phil - could you clarify that? Who suggested dismantling local radio?

#19 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

Follow the ^ Mat.
In chains by Keynes

#20 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

Just to be clear Phil, I wasn't suggesting anyone was dismantling local radio. You are reading into my post what isn't intended, probably thinking of another thread.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users