Hotels thread

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 12:06 PM

Introducing Ocean Wilderness Inn, a charming country inn nestled on 4.59 acres along the Juan de Fuca Strait with breathtaking ocean & mountain views. With 9 fully furnished suites, all featuring ensuite bathrooms, this property is perfect for retreats/gatherings/intimate weddings. Operate the business or live in a dream family property. Zoning allows for construction of an add'l residence, plus the property is exempt from the foreign buyer ban. Just 10mins from Sooke's amenities & short drive to popular French Beach & Jordan River for surfing/hiking/fishing. Stroll the rainforest pathway to your 200+ft of private beach & oceanfront & see West Coast living at its finest. Covered hot tub, tasteful décor/furnishings & most suites having exterior private entrances, make this is a great investment opportunity. The property has also seen many upgrades, been meticulously maintained & recently underwent a full kitchen remodel. Invest in the Ocean Wilderness Inn for a lifestyle like no other. 

929880_14.jpg

$2,495,000

https://www.realtor....-sheringham-pnt

929880_3.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 April 2023 - 12:07 PM.

#102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 12:09 PM

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.04.30-16_08_40.png

• Matt R. likes this

#103 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 09:15 PM

This would make a great staff house, and with 9 suites, the numbers almost work, especially since most rooms look like doubles?

Shirley Delicious, Prestige and Wild Mountain should buy it.

Does this seem a bit cheap?

#104 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:07 AM

932942_41.jpg

932942_4.jpg

932942_7.jpg

$4,700,000

4357 South Island Hwy
Campbell River, British Columbia V9H1B7

Ski, hike, golf, and fish near your well maintained oceanview resort on 5.05 acres with 500’ frontage. This rare investment boasts twenty, 512 sq ft detached relaxation chalets with full cooktop kitchens, gas fireplaces, and BBQs on private decks. Ten units were built in 1997, 3 in 1999 and the remaining 7 in 2000-2001. Office and 2-Bedroom 1975 sq ft manager’s suite (built 1997) and incredible banquet hall built 2004 licensed for 125 people (2772 sq ft w. warming kitchen, stage, and washrooms) share 600 amps. Landscaped with parking. Amenities include a fire pit, bocce area, and covered gazebo. Two pressure design Septic systems; one for the 20 chalet units and manager’s suite, and one for the banquet Hall. Zoning (C-2) Commercial Two with potential for expansion or rezoning. Recent appraisal notes a possible one acre surplus land (Buyer to confirm all info.) Turn-key: Furniture, fixtures, and equipment incl. Qualified investors only - site tours as a condition to an offer only. Do not approach staff or ownership or tour the site without explicit written consent from agent or owner. All sizes approx. and need to be confirmed by the Buyer if important. Buyer to conduct their own due diligence.

https://www.realtor....ell-river-south

932942_2.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 12:13 AM.

#105 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:46 AM

Reminds me of a trailer park without wheels.

#106 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:59 AM

Who built that damn road on the waterfront?!    :badpc:

If it ran behind the property this would be double the price.

#107 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:01 AM

It reminds me of the Lochside strip below Sidney centre.  Somebody wasn't thinking.

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.06.04-11_00_34.png

#108 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:08 AM

It's called the rail line was built 100+ years ago and the housing came far later. And at some point got turned into a road.

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:27 AM

Robert Dunsmuir continues to be the bad guy.

#110 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:53 AM

Ah the Oyster Bay resort, stayed there several times over the years, one of my favorite areas on the island, between Qualicum and Campbell River. In fact the entire stretch along the Oceanside highway is fabulous and an area where we are definitely considering retiring to. Too bad my inheritance hasn't come through yet I'd consider buying the joint, lol.

http://www.oysterbayresort.com/

Edited by AllseeingEye, 04 June 2023 - 08:54 AM.

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:56 PM

I stayed there last year. The office people were telling me the kids now own the property, but don’t visit the site much. I guess they’ve opted to sell their parent’s business.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#112 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:50 AM

/\ Yeah well nearly $5 million would be an enticement for sure.

Always thought after officially retiring it would be great to get a couple of pals in on buying a property/business like this and working PT in the office/front desk or with suppliers, greeting guests etc then going fishing in the afternoons and on days off, lol. Back in the day most of these island resorts would close up over the winter and you could go travelling. These days I presume most if not all of the larger properties like OB are year round propositions.

Still it would be a great way to keep your brain engaged without the hub-bub and fuss of a "real" office/professional job and endless meetings etc. I have a buddy who retired 2 months ago at age 57, has all the $ resources in the world  to be way more than just 'comfortable'....and he's already bored and applying for PT gigs, heh.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 05 June 2023 - 07:51 AM.

#113 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:58 PM

^You sound like my dad. He wanted to retire and buy up a fishing lodge and live the life. Judging by the horrified look on my mom's face, it would have been a solo enterprise,

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:13 PM

It’s hard, gruelling work. Dealing with people is no picnic. Every night, new people arrive, with their whatever problems, moods, etc.

Either you live that life 24/7, or pay someone else to do it for you, and then you oversee them 24/7. They too have their problems, and sometimes won’t show up for a shift because they partied a little too hard the night before, and now you have a dozen suites that need to be cleaned before the next wave of visitors show up. And you can’t fire them, because there’s nobody else to take their place. So off you go, on a Sunday night cleaning up a dozen suites.

As an owner of a place like that, you’ll be lucky to ever get on a boat and fish. And when you find you’ve got free time, you’ll want nothing more than to be left alone, to catch up on sleep. But you won’t get it that day, because one of the guests clogged a sink and now your star suite is flooded and the night ‘manager’ doesn’t know what to do.
  • Matt R., Barrrister and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:20 PM

...one of the guests clogged a sink and now your star suite is flooded and the night ‘manager’ doesn’t know what to do.

Mike K. is an authority on the subject of frustrating interactions with night managers after some late-night mishap.

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:22 PM

Mishaps.

Know it all.

#117 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:22 AM

The idea of course would be to be part of a small ownership group and as noted above pay someone to manage the day to day stuff with our individual 'daily' interactions being limited to occasionally standing in in case of illness etc.

The whole point of retirement is to enjoy it and get involved in activities a FT career 'at work' did not allow for, i.e. volunteering, travel,.and very occasionally sticking your head into the 'day to day' only as and if needed. I know I'm ready to retire because I'm dead tired of meetings then more meetings and then yet more meetings on top of other meetings, all droning on about project status, operational efficiencies, margins, employing ad nauseum whatever the latest business buzzwords are i.e "its a paradigm shift"! -> yeah &^%$!!#!%@!!! all that, lol.....

Obviously I'm not interested in simply trading one form of tedium (overbearing bosses, meetings, jargon, business-related travel, airports and hotels, and project deadline pressures) for another form of tedium, i.e. unclogging clogged sinks at midnight on a weekend.....

When I was a kid there was a long-ago resort in that exact area north of Qualicum called The Patches, which our parents took us to every summer from about 1965-72. The owners got to know my parents very well which wasn't hard considering we were yearly regulars and dad hosted a popular TV show. Everyone knew him; the owners pitched him more than once on the idea of potentially buying the facility possibly in conjunction with a small group of other investors. No actual operational work required as the then owner wanted to divest himself of the responsibility and of course the potential risks of actual ownership - while incidentally making some $ in the process of course from the sale of the business - and then assume only the responsibility of the day to day operation. I think the only reason dad did't seriously consider it was because he was only barely 40 at the time and still very much in the prime of his work life. 

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 08:08 AM

ASE, do yourself a favour and just go fishing. Don't get tangled up in buying major commitments for millions of dollars, no matter how romantic the idea might be. The restaurant/lodging/tourism industry is littered with the carcasses of well meaning retirees who decided to complicate their lives in the worst way.

• Matt R., Daveyboy and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#119 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 08:12 AM

I lasted 7 months in the restaurant business when I was much younger.

25 employees, 25 suppliers and 150 people coming to your house every night for dinner.

Jesus!
  • AllseeingEye, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#120 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 08:34 AM

Guys I was spit-balling and that's all - you're taking this far too seriously. "I always thought it would be great to..." is a long, long way from actually doing....

For starters for that price I could only come up with 25-30% of that asking price hence the pie in the sky of a "group" ownership project. If I was betting the reality is we'll simply wind up eventually renting out our current Victoria digs and head up to live 'somewhere' between roughly French Creek and Saratoga Beach/Black Creek/Campbell River. 

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users