• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Anyone here owns/owned/plans to own a small business be it retail or otherwise?

What were your experiences and challenges? How did you succeed or what could you have done better?

I was there myself for a couple of years and continue to work in a small business and this is a topic that is of interest to me. Perhaps one day I will start another one..

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Anyone here owns/owned/plans to own a small business be it retail or otherwise?

What were your experiences and challenges? How did you succeed or what could you have done better?

I was there myself for a couple of years and continue to work in a small business and this is a topic that is of interest to me. Perhaps one day I will start another one..

Is it hard to start up a business?

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Is it hard to start up a business?

If you;re doing a limited company most of it is handled through a lawyer, so I wouldn't say it is all that hard. Financing is obviously a big challenge and it is really easy yo tunder-finance yourself. You might think you are saving money but really it just makes getting the business up and running and surviving the long-term harder.

What I did find to be a pain in the ass is the debit/credit terminals. Perhaps things have changed, but when I signed up, Moneris wanted something like 10 grand for security so you don't run off with the discount fees they charge on CC transactions. Really makes things tight, but I operated a franchise and the till was set up on the head office account so I managed to avoid that.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

http://www.lizzyleeandme.com/index

I just stumbled upon that, something tells me that concept is a winner....

From the top of your head to the tip of your toes, Lizzy Lee & Me is the happening place for you to be when you want to sparkle and shine...on your own or with your BFFs.

Haircut with style? Braids and beads? Toe-tally cool toes? Glitter galore? Parties you and your friends will talk about forever? Check us out in the Shelbourne Plaza in Victoria BC.

You and your friends are invited to the ultimate fashion show! Required entrance: the goofiest, craziest, most mismatched outfit possible.

Party Includes:
Zany dress up costume wear
Wild hair styles
Crazy nails
Party games
Zany runway show

Take homes include:
Wild make-over
Coloured hair extension
Group photo
Pricing: $199 for 8
$17.95 per additional guest
Best for ages 7 - 11

Add-ons:

Pick n Mix goody bag
Make your own lip-gloss
Sunglasses

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:27 PM

^ That's really clever. I bet they make a mint!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users