Canada Day in Victoria.

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:43 PM

Councillor TJ has quit her role as the Canada Day council liaison after council voted to end Canada Day celebrations as we’ve known them.

Staff will now take on the role.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:46 PM

how are we to celebrate canada day now?

#263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:54 PM

how are we to celebrate Canada Day now?

All residents of the CoV with a European background will be made to self-flagellate on the lawns of the Legislative Buildings for an hour on July 1st.

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#264 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:27 PM

Take the RapidBus to Langford.

• David Bratzer and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#265 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:33 PM

All residents of the CoV with a European background will be made to self-flagellate on the lawns of the Legislative Buildings for an hour on July 1st.

Now, now, those residents with any European background but who do not present as European would be exempt of course.

The activists only care about the color of your skin.
  • Nparker likes this

#266 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

Councillor TJ has quit her role as the Canada Day council liaison after council voted to end Canada Day celebrations as we’ve known them.

Staff will now take on the role.

I thought you were joking until I read the COTW agenda. Are you saying council voted down the $25K to plan for a celebration in 2022? Video not posted yet.

#267 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:36 PM

Take the RapidBus to Langford.

with a 7 month start for planning indeed they might pick up the ball.

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:04 PM

I thought you were joking until I read the COTW agenda. Are you saying council voted down the $25K to plan for a celebration in 2022? Video not posted yet.

They want to re-contextualize it, but left staff wondering what that actually means. Thornton-Joe just said that's it, I'm out.

She's served her community well. She will leave politics with grace, and part of this means not pursuing a Canada Day plan that will be divisive and understandably field frustrated complaints.

• Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.

#269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:06 PM

with a 7 month start for planning indeed they might pick up the ball.

Big living Canada flag at Starlight Stadium, fireworks over the lake, etc.

Know it all.

#270 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:58 PM

They want to re-contextualize it...

Standard woke BS.  :whyme:

#271 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 04:56 PM

It would be a good opportunity for some other organization (maybe Tourism Victoria?) to organize an event on their own.

#272 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

I suggest wearing a hair shirt, sticking pins into an effigy of John A. Macdonald and dancing around a bonfire of your Canadian flags and history books.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#273 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:17 PM

It would be a good opportunity for some other organization (maybe Tourism Victoria?) to organize an event on their own.

Here is an idea. If one of the high profile business candidates rumoured to be running steps up then he/she can organize a dozen or two businesses to put up the $100k to put on a proper festival and fireworks. It would humiliate the current Mayor and council and provide a platform for a guaranteed win.
  • JimV likes this

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 05:37 AM

Or the event can just move to Langford and sponsoring businesses will not have to wage a war of optics.

I can see Langford offering to take on festivities while the downtown core becomes a protest zone in the vacuum created by people diverting their attention to the West Shore.

Know it all.

#275 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 11:57 AM

Or the event can just move to Langford and sponsoring businesses will not have to wage a war of optics.

I can see Langford offering to take on festivities while the downtown core becomes a protest zone in the vacuum created by people diverting their attention to the West Shore.

I most certainly agree that you wouldn't want to identify the businesses that backed you.

#276 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:07 AM

Victoria Coun. Charlayne ­Thornton-Joe has stepped back from Canada Day event planning after more than 20 years.

She told fellow councillors last week she no longer wanted to serve as a liaison to the event, after councillors opted to pursue an event without fireworks that is oriented around Indigenous culture and performances.

Thornton-Joe said she felt it was time to step back because the event was moving in a new direction and it became a struggle “of trying to be all things to everyone.”

“You can only do so much with so much funding support, so because we couldn’t achieve everyone’s desires, there was often criticism,” she said.

Hearing some councillors talk about the need to make the event as inclusive as possible was frustrating, because that had always been the goal, said Thornton-Joe, who first got involved with the celebration in 2000 as a board member and president of the Inter-cultural Association of Greater Victoria.

“My heart’s been involved with Canada Day for 22 years and some of the comments broke my heart, I guess,” she said.

https://www.timescol...y-heart-4738090

councilor spends 20 years making the event extremely inclusive, but it's not enough for the woke council.  sounds like they want some groups uninvited.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2021 - 06:15 AM.

#277 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:27 AM

Together Victoria, along with Isitt, Loveday, and Helps have literally sucked the life out of the fabric of the City of Victoria.

Now they've also reached a point where they're sucking the life out of their fellow COV Councillors, those who don't support the TV agenda.

The Westshore is indeed on the cusp of assuming its rightful position as the leading community on the South Island (if it hasn't already).

• Nparker and JimV like this

#278 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:48 AM

Helps has said it and I am sure that others are thinking the same way. That is that they won't be running next fall so there is now an urgency to ram through the remaining set of ideological projects before staff lose interest (new bosses new rules) and everything grinds to a halt. 

#279 JimV

JimV
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:00 AM

I wish I shared your confidence that they won’t be running.  Hard to see how some of them, especially Dubow, would ever find another job, even given the deep pockets of the poverty industry.

• Nparker likes this

#280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:05 AM

I must agree with you JimV. Sadly, I can't imagine the TV/Benemy cabal have any intentions of sitting out the next election.  :(

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users