- Steve Barber, Heritage Planner

Actually yes this too!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

I'm hoping to attend this pending daycare. Anyone else going?

PS I moved this to the politics thread.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

I would love to go to this but I am working. I would hope that we could get some people to have a front row seat for the first showing of the Hudson.

It has a whole new look!

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

9 am?! I didn't even know civilization was awake so early.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

Does anyone know if there will be any models or new renderings of the Hudson project at this meeting?

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:25 AM

I am sure they will have quite detailed renderings for council.

It has a whole new look!

#7 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

I never made it to the meeting, my wife was called into work early so I didn't want to take the baby with me. Did anyone else make it?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

No, unfortunately not.

My understanding is the "Hudson" only pertains to the Bay building itself, sans towers. Is that right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

I am pretty sure thay are talking about the whole thing.

I am stuck here at work so i have no idea.

It has a whole new look!

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

No word yet? Dang... I mean I can guess how it went but hopefully it has been passed on to APC & ADP.

It has a whole new look!

#11 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

I don't think this will have much success.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

^What?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

Fess up there, Scaper.

Re: opposition...To take issue with some of the particulars of this project is one thing, but to oppose the project outright (as some councillors surely will) is to kick the city of Victoria in the proverbial nuts.

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

As expected, the Hudson easily passed Committee of the Whole.

Councillor Holland said the height could be easily accomodated and that other cities would be grateful for such an opportunity to revitalize their downtown.

Councillor Chandler wanted an accounting of the various environmental aspects.

Councillors Madoff, Fortin and Hughes said a pro-forma, similar to what Vancouver Council demands from developers would be helpful. Basically, in this case, a pro-forma is a construction cost/profit projection used in calculating bonus density. The reason they are asking for one, they say, is to prevent other developers from demanding similar height concessions (or any density increase) without being able to prove they deserve it. Mayor Lowe said a market analysis would indeed be helpful so there isn't a proliferation of 25-35 storey towers thoughout downtown.

Madoff didn't criticize the height directly, just the means by which those heights were determined--was it equal to the density of the old Bay building that is below the 43 m height limit.

Just rough schematic drawings were shown, except for a concept sketch of the entire Hudson east facade.
-----
The Bus Depot was applying for a development permit for its Rock Bay location.

Councillor Thonton-Joe questioned whether the existing design provided an adequate "sense of arrival" compared to the present depot in the more tourist-oriented locale.

Councillor Hughes liked the location.

Councillor Madoff noted that although the City is still working on routing issues there is presently nothing that would force the bus depot from choosing whatever route it liked through Old Town. She also wondered if the extensive and expensive underground parking (more than what the depot alone could sustain) will force the City to give in to the developer's future plans for the neighbouring Steele's property by pleading economic hardship.

The development permit passed unanimously.
----
The new downtown plan was discussed. Councillor Madoff said the old 1990 plan merely needed tweaking and that waiting for the new plan is occurring at the peak of the current building boom. She said too much density being left on the table, costing the city a fortune. Councillor Young said there has been an increase in the amount of upzonings and that many buildings are being designed for increased density. He said this is causing problems, particularly in Harris Green, where some new buildings are uncomfortably close--one could practically walk from one balcony to another according to the setbacks being requested and that this is creating difficulties for future projects.
-----
It was recommended that eight buildings in the downtown core be put on the modern building heritage registry. This would not be the heritage list--ie, they could still be modified or demolished. This simply means the buildings are officially recognized as important and that this should be taken into account during future development. The buildings are:

BC Electric building
1018 Blanshard (Maycock Optical) streamline Art-Deco
Main Post Office (Yates and Government)
City Hall annex
Bentall Building 1060 Douglas (TD Bank)
B of M building (Starfish Glassworks, Yates and Broad)
Ballantyne's Florist building Blanshard across from Strathcona
Odeon Theatre

Other sites outside the core recommended for registry included:

CNIB Building on Blanshard (Serious Coffee)
Bay Street Substation (Bay and Government)

Councillor Madoff also requested the Royal Bank on Douglas at Pandora be investigated.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

Did anybody comment on the design/esthetics at all? I guess this is why I'm not a city councillor. The first thing I'd be worried about is, is the proposal any good?

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

This meeting was simply to assess whether the project is appropriate in general. Specifics are avoided. Many studies and committees will be held now that it has passed the first hurdle. It will go to Advisory Planning Commission who will determine if the massing and density is appropriate. Then it will go to Advisory Design Panel who will examine the design of the buildings. Those committees will submit their reports to another meeting of the Committee of the Whole who will then determine if it should be recommended for Public Hearing.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up wrt the meeting. Much appreciated.

However, I'm not sold on our mayor and council wanting pro-formas to discourage or at least mitigate future tall building proposals. We're a growing city that must accomodate people -- no ifs or buts about it. What I find particularly unsettling is we have the mayor stating he's not comfortable with taller (which generally = slimmer) towers popping up across downtown but then you have C. Young who isn't comfortable with the bulkiness of existing buildings being built. So which is it, dear leaders, tall and slim or stubby and short? By the sounds of it you're uncomfortable with either but you're generally supportive of development? Hmmm...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Interesting...

I think that the Bay project is going to go through a wringer but will come out relatively intact. It is a great project in my opinion though I would like to know more about the east side of the project.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

I am surprised. I thought the height of 25 stories would have been more of an issue.

I guess I was wrong. interesting...

thanks for the heads up. I have been curious as to how this project would play out at the Cotw.

I am somewhat encouraged.

Again thanks for the info.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Advisory Design Panel - October 4 2006

Unfortunately we missed this one but this must be the plant for the residences at Dockside Green. It is good that we are seeing some of their promises coming to fruition.

1. 390 HARBOUR ROAD
Development Permit 000059
Application of Adam Fawkes (Busby Perkins & Will)
Zoned CD-9 Dockside District
Proposed Wastewater Treatment Plant
For recommendation to Council

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users