• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#321 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:51 AM

Tiny satellite built in Nova Scotia ready for 1st mission to space

Students with the Dalhousie Space Systems Lab have constructed the first satellite made in Nova Scotia and it will soon be launched into space — an Atlantic Canadian first.

Several universities received federal funding to build a nanosatellite in 2018. Teams from Dalhousie and the University of Victoria were first to finish.

Now, the Dalhousie team is getting ready to send its creation off for launch. The satellite is 10 by 10 by 20 centimetres and weighs less than two kilograms.

Project manager Arad Gharagozli said it was satisfying to get the CubeSat built. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ssion-1.6484831

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 June 2022 - 05:52 AM.

#322 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 June 2022 - 11:29 AM

UVic's is this one: https://www.orcasat.ca/

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#323 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:43 PM

Tonight's Strawberry Moon from Island View Beach.

M1.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker, LJ and 2 others like this

#324 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 05:36 AM

Beautiful shot, Sparky!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#325 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 05:54 AM

Thanks Mike. I ventured out with the dream of getting to know my new Panasonic Lumix FZ300 zoom camera. Hundreds of hours reading the 364 page user manual and practising in the garagemahal. New tripod, fresh battery, super telephoto lens as clean as a baby's diaper. 

My best shot was the one that I posted above.... taken on my iphone.

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 3 others like this

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 06:00 AM

Priceless!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#327 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:34 AM

hmm. to me that just looks like a grainy photograph. What's special about it?

#328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:36 AM

That’s a moonrise, not a sunrise. But it looks like a sunrise.

Know it all.

#329 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Mike. I ventured out with the dream of getting to know my new Panasonic Lumix FZ300 zoom camera. Hundreds of hours reading the 364 page user manual and practising in the garagemahal. New tripod, fresh battery, super telephoto lens as clean as a baby's diaper. 

My best shot was the one that I posted above.... taken on my iphone.

Classic Sparky.

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#330 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:57 AM

hmm. to me that just looks like a grainy photograph. What's special about it?

The grain represents all the stars in the universe.  Come on, get with the program :D

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 08:05 AM

There’s wisdom in that there camera post, for sure.

Know it all.

#332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 12:51 PM

NASA:

Tune in Monday, June 27, to watch the launch of CAPSTONE, our first mission testing a unique flight path around the Moon that Gateway, our future lunar space station, will also use.

CAPSTONE will launch aboard a Rocket Lab Electron rocket from the company's Launch Complex 1 in Mahia, New Zealand. Once released from Rocket Lab's Photon satellite bus, the microwave-sized spacecraft – which is owned and operated by Advanced Space for NASA – will embark on a four-month journey to its target destination: the Moon. CAPSTONE will spend at least six months testing an unusual orbital path around the Moon, helping reduce risk for future spacecraft and demonstrating navigation technologies that would allow future spacecraft to determine their location in space without relying exclusively on tracking from Earth.

The instantaneous launch opportunity is at 6 a.m. EDT (10:00 UTC) on Monday, June 27. Live coverage will begin at 5 a.m. on NASA Television, the agency's website, the NASA app, and our social media channels.

Members of the public are invited to join the virtual NASA Social to get a behind-the scenes look at CAPSTONE, learn what makes CAPSTONE unique among NASA’s missions, meet the rocket launching CAPSTONE, and more.

And after the launch, you can follow CAPSTONE’s journey live using NASA’s Eyes on the Solar System interactive real-time 3D data visualization. Starting about one week after launch, you can virtually ride along with the CubeSat with a simulated solar system view. NASA will post updates in the visualization on the agency’s Ames Research Center home page as well as Twitter and Facebook.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2022 - 12:51 PM.

#333 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 02:16 AM

SpaceX's latest Starship booster test ends with an explosion

It could push back SpaceX's plans for the Starship's first orbital test flight.

https://www.engadget...GKc_1gBVsbeRbCK

Last month, Musk said that Starship will be "ready to fly" in July, but this incident will likely affect the company's timeline. In a tweet, Musk said the "[b]ase of the vehicle seems ok by flashlight" when they checked it out, but it remains to be seen how bad the damage was and how much it will affect the company's plans for the vehicle's first orbital flight.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 July 2022 - 02:17 AM.

#334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:45 AM

Tonight at 8:44pm ET,

's 25th cargo resupply mission will lift off from Launch Complex 39A. Weather officials continue to predict a 70% chance of favorable weather conditions.

#335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 03:51 AM

SpaceX launched its 25th contracted supply mission for NASA, delivering new science experiments for the astronauts aboard the ISS. The spacecraft will make a return to trip to Earth with cargo and research from space station in about a month.

Just before 9 a.m. EST on July 14, 2022, SpaceX launched its Dragon cargo spacecraft from Kennedy Space Center in Florida, headed toward the International Space Station (ISS) (see image below). Two days later, the spacecraft autonomously docked to the forward-facing port of the space station's Harmony module. Aboard the spacecraft were new science experiments for the astronauts aboard ISS.

https://hothardware....deliver-science

SpaceX launches 51st batch of Starlink internet satellites from Florida

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches the company's 51st Starlink internet mission from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida on Sunday, July 17, 2022.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 July 2022 - 03:52 AM.

#336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:56 AM

Spacex launched another 54 Starlink satellites today.  33rd mission of the year and 7th this month.  3rd this week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2022 - 05:57 AM.

#337 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

Why wouldn’t they just use balloons. Cheaper and easier to repair. It’s gotta be bad for the climate change launching all those rockets and using all those resources for a little better Internet…

#338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:43 PM

Elon Musk is a billionaire so climate change protocols don't apply. They also don't apply to anyone in public office, or environmental activists, like David Suzuki etc.

• Matt R. likes this

#339 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:52 PM

That’s very evident. All our farmers need to cut fertilizer use by 30% while Bezos goes to space for a lark.
Burning “11,000 pounds of fuel per second. That's two million times the rate at which fuel is burned by the average family car.”

#340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:04 PM

Space shots use less than 1/10000 of what airlines use daily.

Chill.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users