• 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

HarbourLynx gets new Life
Nanaimo-Vancouver ferry could be up and running again as early as Christmas
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Robert Barron, CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, October 05, 2006
NANAIMO -- A passenger-ferry service between Nanaimo and downtown Vancouver could be up and running as early as Christmas.

Victoria businessman Ed Life, the new owner of the HarbourLynx ferry, said yesterday he is confident the process can move forward quickly.

He did point out that agreements with the Nanaimo and Vancouver port authorities, the vessel's suppliers and other stakeholders have yet to be signed.

"Wouldn't it make a nice Christmas present?" asked a smiling Life, surrounded by members of the Nanaimo Port Authority and other dignitaries.

Life, who said his "substantial partner" in the venture is his bank, TD Canada Trust, indicated he has recently returned from Europe and has purchased two new engines for the beleaguered HarbourLynx ferry, which has been idle in Nanaimo's harbour since the company filed for bankruptcy last February.

Life said the engines are to be shipped to Nanaimo in the next two weeks, and he is considering buying a third.

Once the engines are delivered, a more definite timeline on when the service will be back in operation can be nailed down, he said.

"A backup vessel is also being negotiated just in case," he said. "We're definitely considering buying a second vessel for the route that will be between the same docks in both Nanaimo and Vancouver that HarbourLynx used, but we have to do things one step at a time."

Life said the business plan calls for two round-trip sailings a day in the winter and three in the summer.

More will be considered if the demand is there.

He said he believes the yet-to-be-named service will not suffer the fate of the two previous similar ventures.

"I fully expect it will be a successful venture because the people in Nanaimo and Vancouver Island are behind it and we have a strong management team," he said.

"With the continuing growth on the Island and with the statistical information on the ongoing trends, I believe we have a very strong business case for success."

Life said hiring for the new service will be conducted by a professional firm and that former employees of HarbourLynx are welcome to apply.

"I'm sure some of them will be hired," he said.

Life said he is aware the service will have to compete with B.C. Ferries, which has received government subsidies for seniors and medical trips.

"Until we get similar subsidies, we'll have a tough time competing in the marketplace," he said.

Life would not comment on what he paid for the HarbourLynx ferry, saying the deal called for that information remain confidential.

A number of names are being considered, with Life favouring "something that begins with Nanaimo."

"Nanaimo will be our core market place," he said. "I can't wait to get the service started. I'm full of nervous anxiety."

Life operates a computer service company in Victoria listed as Tacnet Canada.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

There's been no news on this. I wonder what Ed's done with the two new engines he bought.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users