Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2681 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Okay, change that to "In the near future, after Rock Bay is fully built-out and gussied up..."

#2682 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

Follow the money?  Who benefits from the contract to design and put up the signs, and how are they somehow connected to someone in the city?

Maybe this is a buried pork barrel project to help someone out and repay some kind of favors?

#2683 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

I suppose there will always be that kind of argument. Why does Anyique Row or Fan Tan Alley or Fishermans Wharf get special signage while Nootka Court doesn’t.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

...Why does Antique Row or Fan Tan Alley or Fisherman's Wharf get special signage while Nootka Court doesn’t.

If you've been to Nootka Court recently you wouldn't have to ask that question.  ;)

#2685 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

^How about 1990s Nootka Court? Sex toys, booze and smokes--talk about your wayfinding destination.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#2686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

^How about 1990s Nootka Court? Sex toys, booze and smokes--talk about your wayfinding destination.

Do these wayfinders have some sort of TARDIS time-travel function? If so...COOL!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2687 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

When I was in Budapest we had seen all the touristy places so I took a transit bus until it got into an area where the locals lived and played. I got off and walked back into the city proper. Sometimes it is nice to get a feel for how the locals live.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:21 AM

I thought aastra proved the distances were correct to the metre.

I dunno, I fall ~50 meters short with every calculation from the sign at Fisgard to the arena.

Government Street is zero metres away from the tourist info centre, not 50, a vague 400 meter distance to Old Town makes absolutely no sense (when you’re already standing in Old Town) and telling folks to walk 380 meters to North Park might as well be labelled Walk East, Then Whip Out Google Maps When You See Romeo’s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2689 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Designing unified signage isn’t really laughable. It’s laughable that they need to elevate the exercise and call it wayfinding. Gotta brand it to justify the added expense. We do however have many more pressing fish to fry and I would rather keep the tourists contained on Government and not let them past Johnson st....
  • Nparker likes this

#2690 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

I find tourist signs quite helpful. When we were in Paris, we came up out of the metro to go to the Eiffel Tower. We had lost our sense of direction and because of being closed in by buildings, we couldn't see the Eiffel Tower, even though it was only a few blocks away! A sign pointing us in the right direction came in handy. :-)

#2691 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

When I was in Budapest we had seen all the touristy places so I took a transit bus until it got into an area where the locals lived and played. I got off and walked back into the city proper. Sometimes it is nice to get a feel for how the locals live.

I did that in Havana.  I might not have tried it after daylight.  And maybe not alone again lol.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 March 2018 - 08:45 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2692 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

I don't mind the idea of the signs but I have to tell you that my blood is near boiling that they made the measurements to the borders of the neighborhoods. I mean seriously! Ick!
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

Phillips Brewery, Budget, and Romeo’s to be precise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2694 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

Well at least I can do an update post on my blog about crazy neighbourhood boundaries again.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2695 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Depending on how precisely you're bothering to measure and what specific route you're taking, there's obviously going to be some variation in the results. Who cares? Err on the higher side and it will work for people. Re: the designations of the destinations, "Government Street shopping => 50m" would probably be better wording than "Government Street => 50m" if the marker in question is actually located on Government Street across from the Empress Hotel.

...it would seem they went through Townline's mid-block walkways to get 660 on the nose.

Fisgard-Arena-Distance.jpg

• Rob Randall likes this

#2696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

That’s the most convoluted way to get to the arena, though. You’re even backtracking by crossing on the south side of the Blanshard intersection.

Know it all.

#2697 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

Why are you acting like every step is so precious? The guy's taking a sightseeing stroll from Chinatown to the arena, he's not rushing a loved one to emergency.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2698 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Why would any tourist want to see the arena?

#2699 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

If he's going to an event there but he doesn't want to see the building itself then I suppose he could wear a blindfold along the way. But then the walk would take longer.

#2700 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

If you are going to an event there you would be driving or taking a taxi.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users