Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2701 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

The guy's visiting from out of town, he doesn't have a car with him. He's having a coffee in the Starbucks at Centennial Square before the show. Sure, he could take a taxi. But most people wouldn't for that short distance. If he's willing to take a taxi then why did he bother to check the wayfinding sign in the first place?

#2702 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

He misread the sign and went to Rock Bay, now he is getting entertained in an entirely different manner. Hell with the arena.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:57 AM

Say, why the aversion to figures in feet? Meters don’t compute for many of our visitors.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2704 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

Say, why the aversion to figures in feet? Meters don’t compute for many of our visitors.

For most, I'd say.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 06:53 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2705 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

We're better off convincing the US to switch to metric rather than the other way around. Anyways, if someone asks, just say a meter is about 3 feet. Close enough.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#2706 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

^

That's not going to happen in this atmosphere of America First and American exceptionalism. But maybe one day there will be a progressive, modern government that will bring metric in. Learning metric and celsius should be mandatory in school, but I don't think it is in most school districts in the U.S. Besides, does Betsy de Vos even know what a centimetre is?

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2707 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

In high school in Texas we were taught metric. Most of the science stuff was in meters, Celsius, milliliters, etc. 

Feet is a dumb unit of measurement for any distance longer than say 100 feet. Using meters is much more useful. If an American tourist doesn't know that a meter is basically the same distance as a yard, oh well. It's not going to kill them to Google what a meter is on their smartphone. 

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#2708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

Some international industries still use feet, such as airlines/aviation.

The Brit’s still use miles and gallons, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2709 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

They're not that different from Canada in that regard, using imperial in everyday language, but metric in official documentation; main exception is roads are still imperial.

#2710 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

But still >7 billion people use metric every day.
  • Nparker likes this

#2711 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

But still >7 billion people use metric every day.

Exactly. If America got in step with the rest of the human race, Canada would be fully metric as well.

#2712 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

For most, I'd say.

;-) For sure. With the exception of those visitors from Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia.....

#2713 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Aviation is an interesting case. I believe around the world, the metric system is used for everything except for altitude, distance and speed. They use feet for altitude because 1,000 feet is a reasonable distance for vertical separation, and nautical miles for distance traveled (a nautical mile happens to be one minute of latitude/longitude). Speed is in miles because distance is in miles. 

In Canada, the switch over to the metric system was one of the root causes of the Gimli Glider aviation incident (they thought they fueled the plane up with x gallons, but it was x liters, thus did not have sufficient fuel). 

The Brits weigh people in stones, FFS, so they don't get a say in the matter. That's like an automatic DQ. :) 

Edited by jonny, 26 March 2018 - 09:02 AM.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#2714 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

;-) For sure. With the exception of those visitors from Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia.....

90% of our foreign tourists are from the US.

https://www.destinationbc.ca/

screenshot-www.destinationbc.ca-2018.03.26-10-07-51.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 09:09 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2715 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

^ big deal. Why should we change our system for tourists?

• Nparker and jonny like this

#2716 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

^ big deal. Why should we change our system for tourists?

Nobody suggested "changing our system", we were suggesting it for signs geared mostly to tourists.  That's what smart international cities do.

akihabara-district-tokyo-japan-asia-view

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 09:15 AM.

#2717 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

Isn't part of the joy of travelling that things are a little bit [or a lot] different?

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#2718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

90% of our foreign tourists are from the US.

And Canada sends the most tourists to the US. Are they adding metric and French to their signage to accommodate us?

Capture.JPG

• spanky123 likes this

#2719 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

Isn't part of the joy of travelling that things are a little bit [or a lot] different?

For many, no, it's not.  Check out all the tourists that are drinking Budweiser at the Strath, or eating at Burger King.  It's why 99% of our businesses take US cash, it's the smart thing to do.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#2720 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

And Canada sends the most tourists to the US. Are they adding metric and French to their signage to accommodate us?

No, because of US influence, we already understand both systems.

Some border cities get it.

https://www.huffingt..._n_3468169.html

Calling all French-Canadians, the town of Burlington, Vt. is now speaking your language. Well, it's not so much speaking, as it is posting signs in French and English around the busy border town.

The move is part of a "resolution of French friendliness" the town passed to welcome French-speaking tourists, according to the Toronto Sun. The motion passed by city council over the weekend saw 700 bilingual stickers added to the city's parking meters by The Alliance Française of the Lake Champlain Region, a chapter of a world-wide association that promotes French culture.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 March 2018 - 09:25 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users