Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Sometimes typos and autotext can be our friends.

#2762 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Lol. You guys.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2763 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

My bit on the wayfinding signs: https://www.sidewalk...ayfinding-signs

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2764 NinVic

NinVic
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

I would really like to see a survey question that asks "did AirBnB make your trip possible?"

Travelling with my kids, AirBnb/VRBO are the only options pretty much for my family and I!  So I imagine for people coming to Victoria it would be similar.

It is sooo short sighted to ban vacation rentals.  Just regulate them with business license and registration and taxes so that there is a level playing field between hotels and individuals who want to do this.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#2765 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

^yup When we travelled with our kids it was VRBO or similar pretty well most of the time apart from the 1-2 night layovers where we'd be in a hotel. Even now with our kids all grown we will travel to Eu and stay in apartment style accommodation as we like the space and the ability to have breakfast etc.

• Matt R. likes this

#2766 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

We love being in Europe (esp. France), going grocery shopping and then cooking some delicious duck, chicken, or whatever, with desserts, cheese, wine, etc. in a fully equipped kitchen. We did stay in an Apart-hotel in Vienna which worked pretty well, but apartments or cottages all the way!

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#2767 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

As with so many decisions in this City and this Province we've shot ourselves in the foot. When the N. American Indigenous Games come to Victoria, as they might well do, were will all those people stay?

If Tourism Victoria is planning on spending the fees collected from STR's (originally earmarked for more subsidized housing) and, presumably, bring swarms more visitors to Victoria....where will they stay?

Another BAD decision, but what would anybody expect from two levels of administration whose sole purpose seems to be to kill any kind of entrepreneurial efforts by those who aren't part of the mainstream business community.

#2768 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

Have we seen this article on Victoria? It might be one of the best tourism articles on our city ever!

https://mobile.nytim...pe=sectionfront

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2769 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

Always seems to be Little Jumbo, Olo, and Agrius, whereas they are rated #26, #30 and #77 on TripAdvisor.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 April 2018 - 06:43 AM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2770 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

Went to Agrius again on Friday for another excellent experience. The couple next to us from Calgary were there because they saw the mention in the NYTimes.

• Matt R. likes this

#2771 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

Agrius got another brief mention recently in the Wall Street Journal. Here's part of their description of Victoria:

Tech companies now occupy brick warehouses, craft distilleries share streetfronts with traditional tea rooms, and marijuana dispensaries are popping up among the old Edwardian mansions. At times it feels like a Portland North, set amid the architectural glories of a one-time imperial outpost: a mashup of traditional and alternative, with a sneak-up-sideways charm.

Another recent mention of Agrius in the Washington Post: Here's how they see Victoria:

Victoria may be best known for high tea at the Empress, its proximity to the Butchart Gardens and for having one of the oldest Chinatowns in North America (second only to San Francisco’s), but while everyone was dismissing it as predictable, the British Columbia city got funky. Its compact, walkable downtown core is home to plenty of local artisans doing their own thing, from screen printing to letterpress, first-flush tea to cold-pressed olive oil. Chalk it up to the small population, a dedication to supporting locals and the space that comes from slowing down to island time.

Note that the three most prestigious, button down newspapers in the US are singling out Victoria for, among other things, our alternative funkiness. Ponder that as we further gentrify.

#2772 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

Now don't think these papers are sending wide-eyed newspaper men from Washington and New York over here for the first time. The Washington Post article is by a Vancouver-based freelancer, and the WSJ article is by a Montreal freelancer.

#2773 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

What are all the craft distilleries they are talking about?

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2774 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

What are all the craft distilleries they are talking about?

Phillips is the only distillery in Victoria proper. There is Caledonian in Saanich and Victoria Spirits in Sidney. A bunch are further up-Island. The booze wall at Agrius is pretty much all Vancouver Island liquors.

I don't know what the reference to the distillery next to the tea room is.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 April 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#2775 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

Always seems to be Little Jumbo, Olo, and Agrius, whereas they are rated #26, #30 and #77 on TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor rankings never paint the full picture. Take Ithaka... Average Greek food, but they put on a show. #3 restaurant in Victoria? Not even close, in my book.

Same for hotels - Chateau Victoria better than the Empress? Embassy better than the Marriott? Laughable.

Speaking of hotels, the recommendation of the Carlton Plaza was an odd choice for a guest traveling from New York.

• Nparker likes this

#2776 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

I guess that’s true. And ya that hotel choice was odd.

#2777 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

I guess that’s true. And ya that hotel choice was odd.

This may be the first time we have every agreed on anything  :cheers: 

#2778 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Pot shops popping up among Edwardian mansions? What in the flying fudge are they smoking at the Journal? Good grief.

Tourism literature can be so over-contrived that you can’t help but shake your head.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2779 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

Phillips is the only distillery in Victoria proper. There is Caledonian in Saanich and Victoria Spirits in Sidney. A bunch are further up-Island. The booze wall at Agrius is pretty much all Vancouver Island liquors.

I don't know what the reference to the distillery next to the tea room is.

Uh... Hoyne, Driftwood, Moon are in Victoria.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2780 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Uh... Hoyne, Driftwood, Moon are in Victoria.

Distillery: liquour (gin, whiskey) 

Brewery: Beer

Phillips makes both.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 April 2018 - 09:55 AM.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users