Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2781 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

Pot shops popping up among Edwardian mansions? What in the flying fudge are they smoking at the Journal? Good grief.

Tourism literature can be so over-contrived that you can’t help but shake your head.

Exhibit A:

Capture.JPG

• Matt R. likes this

#2782 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

Clsssic.
  • Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2783 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

We've been seeing these "Portland-north" comparisons in travel blogs for a few years now, so I guess the big corporate media outlets are feeling obliged to continue the narrative. I've never complained about city-to-city comparisons before in my life* so I won't start now, but I wonder why they can't just admit that they didn't know much about a place (a lot of these writers are very young), or that they haven't been to a place in many years, or that they're seeing a familiar place with fresh eyes, etc.

*Not really

• Nparker likes this

#2784 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

And where’s exhibit B, D, E, F and G?
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2785 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

Where is at least one more distillery to make it plural?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2786 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

...while everyone was dismissing it as predictable, the British Columbia city got funky. Its compact, walkable downtown core is home to plenty of local artisans doing their own thing, from screen printing to letterpress, first-flush tea to cold-pressed olive oil. Chalk it up to the small population, a dedication to supporting locals and the space that comes from slowing down to island time.

Hmmm. But... wasn't the downtown core compact & walkable before? Wasn't the population smaller before, too? Wasn't the population much smaller before, depending on how far back you go? If small = funky then shouldn't Victoria have been funkier before? You know, back when it wasn't funky? And shouldn't every small community everywhere be funky?

Etc.

Edited by aastra, 15 April 2018 - 10:52 AM.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#2787 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

What a bunch of superfluous nonsense.

Is Tourism Victoria paying for these articles?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2788 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

They do not seem to be marked as paid.

#2789 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

Having grown up in Canada, I don't know my height/weight in metric.  However, I don't know how far Calgary is in miles either.  It's a weird disconnect.

Same here

I remember in high school a good friend was a new arrival from Europe and we started talking about heights and weights for some reason.  He said he was xxx cm and xxx kg and I looked at him like he was from Mars

My dad was an imperial guy didn't care what it was in metric he wanted it in "real numbers".  Never learned metric and didn't want to either

#2790 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

Hey its good for business and even better for real estate prices.   Bring 'em on I say

Gorgeous mansion for sale in Central Saanich on acreage, sell that 5th Ave penthouse now and save.  Only $5 million USD  :wave:

#2791 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

I am puzzled how the scale of the proposed Oak Bay United Church has an effect on tourism, but apparently there is a direct correlation according to a letter in today's TC. 

...If only all developers emulated their example, the town might yet save its dwindling character that draws tourists...

http://www.timescolo...ment-1.23286706

Are local tourism numbers down since the pace of development picked up in the region? Does the existing OBUC draw that many visitors to the area?

#2792 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Based on the reviews for the hotel and certain shops on the avenue I'd say Oak Bay is more of a tourist draw now than it has ever been. People are starting to clue in that they're allowed to explore a bit when they come to Victoria.

#2793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Based on the reviews for the hotel and certain shops on the avenue I'd say Oak Bay is more of a tourist draw now than it has ever been. ...

So perhaps some of those Oak Bay bound tourists may be looking for a residence and the OBUC proposal might be exactly what will convince them to move to the area.

#2794 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Check out this review:

Pour Coffee:
At last! A modern, tastefully decorated and diverse cafe in the heart of downtown Victoria, the bastion of dreadful shops and cafes that cater to the Victorian demographic: the elderly, elderly tourist hordes, UVIC and foreign high school students, and Government employees, the recipe for a banal and boring downtown core.

Gotta love that narrow Victorian demographic: the elderly, elderly tourists (?), university students, foreign students, and government employees. So... the Victorian demographic = pretty much anyone and everyone from anywhere? All ages, income levels, and backgrounds?

from TripAdvisor.com...

Edited by aastra, 01 May 2018 - 09:55 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#2795 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

This big girl docks at Ogden Point tomorrow morning - Norwegian "Bliss" all 20 decks and nearly 170,000 tons of her - 

Attached Images

• Norweigan Bliss.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#2796 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

The Jazz festival is using the Ship Point parking lot. Every year they set up a seemingly higher and higher curtain on the Wharf Street sidewalk to block the view of the stage. This year it is about 10 feet high and extends the full length of lot.

Not very tourist friendly to block one of the nicest views of the harbour with a wall. More importantly, it blocks the view of the deeply significant Sooke hills.

• zoomer likes this

#2797 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

...More importantly, it blocks the view of the deeply significant Sooke hills.

Someone needs to send out the "Pam Signal".

#2798 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

Yep time to van the festival

#2799 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:50 PM

The Jazz festival is using the Ship Point parking lot. Every year they set up a seemingly higher and higher curtain on the Wharf Street sidewalk to block the view of the stage. This year it is about 10 feet high and extends the full length of lot.

Not very tourist friendly to block one of the nicest views of the harbour with a wall. More importantly, it blocks the view of the deeply significant Sooke hills.

You mean currently?  That's Ska Fest, not Jazz Fest.

• Matt R. likes this

#2800 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

Isn't Jazz fest at Centenial square?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)