Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2961 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:26 AM

^ OK but waiting in line at Jam or Pagliacci's is just about the most local experience out there, right?

• aastra and jonny like this

#2962 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

Funny, since I’m heading to Sidney today.

Be sure to snap some pics. A few hundred will suffice. Don't go overboard or anything.

• jonny, Danma and lanforod like this

#2963 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

You think those are sad stories? Imagine being the guy who spent his Victoria vacation in Sidney, never to think to venture down the 17.

yes, sad. Look at what he missed:

The aroma of heroin piss on downtown Victorias quaint (filthy) streets.

The friendly Victorians approaching him for "spare change"  and then telling him to F off when he refused their approach.

Those oh so friendly panhandlers.

Homelessness and Victorias wonderful Tent cities.

Open use of drugs. Possibly in front of his young family.

Drug paraphernalia left discarded in parks, on the streets, in car parks.

Oh he must have really felt foolish missing out on everything Victoria had to offer and to make things worse he had to stay in Sidney.

• RFS, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#2964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

The sound of roaring jets every few moments does have a certain appeal, I must say :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2965 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

The sound of roaring jets every few moments does have a certain appeal, I must say :)

I'd take the occasional airplane versus my toddler getting pricked with a needle in McDonald's

#2966 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

Why don't the cruise ships do actual excursions here? Or do they?

#2967 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

they do. but when the ship is only in 6pm to midnight sometimes options are limited.

#2968 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Statistically speaking your toddler has a higher chance of being pushed off a cliff by a stranger in View Royal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2969 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Why don't the cruise ships do actual excursions here? Or do they?

I was blown away at the prices of the excursions though. They really need to add some $25-75 options.

#2970 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

I was blown away at the prices of the excursions though. They really need to add some $25-75 options.

If they can fill the excursions at $250 then why would they want to offer discounted options? 

On the other hand, maybe this is a good item for council to take up. They can require the cruise lines to present a plan on affordable excursion options and demand that a minimum of 15% of them match what someone earning a working wage can afford.

Edited by spanky123, 23 May 2019 - 09:44 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#2971 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

With a minimum of pre-arrival research cruise ship passengers can usually find a plethora of cheaper options to the "official" excursions offered. I am currently looking into things to do in the 9 ports of call on my Europe-Mediterranean cruise next year. For me that's part of the fun.

#2972 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

^ It just seems like they're missing out on selling excursions when the only option under 100 pp is a walking tour for 39 pp.

Where's the partnership with harbour ferries or a 1 hour paddleboard or... etc. etc. 

#2973 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

^ It just seems like they're missing out on selling excursions when the only option under 100 pp is a walking tour for 39 pp.

Where's the partnership with harbour ferries or a 1 hour paddleboard or... etc. etc. 

There's only so many tourism providers that can accommodate the volume of guests that arrive on a ship. Imagine hundreds of people with pre-paid harbor ferry vouchers? Those boats fit a dozen people or so. Plus the cruise ship company would take a share.

Edited by vortoozo, 23 May 2019 - 10:23 AM.

#2974 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Many of the complaints are related to excursions. I guess a lot of cruise/tour passengers will have tunnel vision in that regard. When they arrive anywhere, the very first thing they want to do is an excursion. But if you only have a few hours at a stop then your excursion options will be limited, and the excursions that are available will often seem rushed and overpriced (because of the time constraints). Many of the very positive reviews on cruisecritic.com are from people who say they didn't bother with Victoria excursions and just decided to relax and walk around. I have to say, that resonates with me. I've done tours and cruises before and the last thing I want to do when I arrive in a new place is pay a wad of money to get on a bus and immediately get out of that place. I'd much rather enjoy myself and check the place out. But everybody's different.

I should note, there is one reviewer who said he rented a car and went straight to... Goldstream. I've been complaining about the Goldstream/Port Renfrew emphasis in tourism marketing, and yet I found at least one guy who actually went for it. He seemed to enjoy it.

• jonny likes this

#2975 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

...I have to say, that resonates with me. I've done tours and cruises before and the last thing I want to do when I arrive in a new place is pay a wad of money to get on a bus and immediately get out of that place...

In my experience, many of the places where cruise ships port make the amenities at Ogden Point seem like Disneyland. Getting on a bus and getting out is the only option.

#2976 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

Sure, but I don't mean a bus or shuttle into town. I mean a bus or shuttle for an hour or more to get to some other completely different place. You've just arrived in Vancouver. Now immediately get on a bus to take you to Whistler for a half-day visit. By the time you leave Vancouver the only thing you really saw of it was the traffic.

#2977 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

...the places where cruise ships port make the amenities at Ogden Point seem like Disneyland. Getting on a bus and getting out is the only option.

Dude, this sounds like you're equating the terminal with the place just like those silly cruise passengers were doing!

#2978 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Dude, this sounds like you're equating the terminal with the place just like those silly cruise passengers were doing!

Not really. I am savvy enough to know that terminals are generally not the reason for the port of call.

#2979 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

Not really. I am savvy enough to know that terminals are generally not the reason for the port of call.

but sadly there are a number of tourists who don't see it that way.. unless they see bright and flashy and shops as they get off the ships they won't venture far... i guess a good work around that would be to offer a shuttle bus that would take people within a block or two of the inner harbor.. they could probably easily charge $10 a person for a return ticket

#2980 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

Southern Californians hope they never get their wish:

We walked behind the zoo and discovered a trail that led out to the ocean. There we found a leash free area where well behaved dogs were running free enjoying the beautiful weather. Wished we had a park like this in Arizona.

https://www.tripadvi...Island_Bri.html

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users