Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:35 AM

There we have it. Vancouver Island has been a draw among the other 5 million people in this province. But for whatever reason, Victoria is having a tough year, even though Harvard says the Island has benefited from staycations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3142 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

^ Having our 'leaders' continuously denying there is a problem doesn't help. 

• Nparker likes this

#3143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Having our 'leaders' continuously denying exacerbating there is a the problem doesn't help

I think this is what you meant to say.

• theboss and Daveyboy like this

#3144 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:09 AM

My guess is that we may lose up to half the restaurants in town by Christmas. I think it is next to impossible to predict the situation a year from now. While one hopes for a real recouvery there is also a real possible of a very long downturn.

Several of my friends run restaurants in town, I often hold back from posting the sentiments I hear from them.

Anyway I try to be optimistic, I think we all do. However, when I look at the news from the UK I feel it's only a matter of time (days) before we are forced into another shut down for bars and restaurants. That will be the death knell for many of them. 

TFord

#3145 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

Several of my friends run restaurants in town, I often hold back from posting the sentiments I hear from them.

Anyway I try to be optimistic, I think we all do. However, when I look at the news from the UK I feel it's only a matter of time (days) before we are forced into another shut down for bars and restaurants. That will be the death knell for many of them. 

TFord

Lets face it, if 120 infections a day were enough to shut us down 6 months ago then we are way past that. The benefit your friends have this time is that Horgan's popularity is dropping (along with most Premiers) and he desperately wants to run an election and secure another 4 years ASAP.  On that basis he is going to keep schools, restaurants, bars and everything else highly visible open. 

#3146 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

Short of the hospitals becoming totally swamped it is unlikely that we would see any types of closings. if anything I suspect bars and restaurants will be allowed to open up over the next few months.

The hospital rates may well stay low simply because a lot of older people will self protect. We will be losing enough businesses after all.

#3147 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Lets face it, if 120 infections a day were enough to shut us down 6 months ago then we are way past that. The benefit your friends have this time is that Horgan's popularity is dropping (along with most Premiers) and he desperately wants to run an election and secure another 4 years ASAP.  On that basis he is going to keep schools, restaurants, bars and everything else highly visible open. 

Horgan must have been reading my posts :-) Election called.

#3148 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

TFord

Doubt we'll need a shut down. All we need is for the weather to turn and make the outdoor patios less desirable. 

#3149 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

As the CEWS transitions I am already noticing restaurants reducing hours. Although I am sure that many are outright defrauding the system, others are going to be doing the math to find out what their optimum benefit is and then making sure that their revenue drop matches it.

#3150 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:02 PM

i don't see another big shut down happening.. just from a cost perspective, i don't think the province and the federal government can afford to have another 2-4 month shut down/cerb payments.. i can see cut backs.. stores going back to limiting the amount in at any time, (but this can get tricky in the winter months especially in the colder areas of the province) masks are slowly becoming mandatory at most stores

i know schools are a bit tricky with the amount of kids in a classroom/kids in the school at any given time.. i do think the school districts are trying to do the best they can with the situation they have...people don't want schools to be shut down it was pretty clear when sd61 did the survey and most wanted full time school

#3151 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

As the CEWS transitions I am already noticing restaurants reducing hours. Although I am sure that many are outright defrauding the system, others are going to be doing the math to find out what their optimum benefit is and then making sure that their revenue drop matches it.

Also take into account the new restriction on liquor sales after 10 PM. That is sure to impact those businesses that previously relied on evening traffic to justify not being open earlier in the day.

• Matt R. likes this

#3152 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:45 AM

... and no liquor before 11am, so the breakfast places get in on the action too. 

The written PHO just came out yesterday, and I think the opening restriction will be clarified a little, as the written word doesn’t quite match what was spoken last week. 

Matt.

#3153 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

The CEWS transition is also at the same time as a normal slow down would be.  I like the new formula. Not as good as 75% off, but still something!

Matt. 

#3154 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:58 AM

... and no liquor before 11am, so the breakfast places get in on the action too. 

The written PHO just came out yesterday, and I think the opening restriction will be clarified a little, as the written word doesn’t quite match what was spoken last week. 

Matt.

Really! I definitely had a mimosa at 10 AM on Sunday.... I guess that's the necessary clarification you speak of.

#3155 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

Yah it was worded that if you stayed open past 11 you can’t serve booze again until 11, but the written order makes it sound like you can’t serve before 11 no matter what. We’ve seen this before with the PHO (actually text not quite what the press conference says) but this one took a week to get out.

Matt.

#3156 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:07 PM

Sounds like they have to revert to the old Victoria technique of discretely dropping off a teapot at your table. So you can add a splash of "tea" to your orange juice or Coke.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3157 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

^ ah the tea pot story reminds me of the days of the “Rubber Sandwich”

There was a time when the only way an establishment could sell liquor other than a pub or a bar connected to a hotel was if the patron was served with food.

Enter the rubber sandwich which was a rather day old (or more) facsimile of an edible sandwich which was placed on your table in order to facilitate the deliverance of a liquor based accompaniment.

The establishment frowned on the practice of actually taking a bite out of that bad boy.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#3158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

The CEWS transition is also at the same time as a normal slow down would be.  I like the new formula. Not as good as 75% off, but still something!

Matt. 

Well if you work the numbers the right way you can now get 85% off.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3159 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:57 PM

I want a rubber band sandwich and make it snappy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3160 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:34 PM

There was a time when the only way an establishment could sell liquor other than a pub or a bar connected to a hotel was if the patron was served with food.

it’s still that way!

Matt. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users